Tacx Bushido setup

(Ken Verwimp) #1

Hi All,

I am looking into buying a Tacx Bushido Smart. But in no topic so far I read that the T1990 upgrade is needed in the setup to be able to use Zwift. 

So apart from the ANT+ FE-C upgrade and ANT+ dongle as described in another topic, is the T1990 updgrade from Tacx needed or not? I suppose not but I thought I better check this before making the actual decision, as this is a $160 extra cost on top of the tacx Bushido. 

Thanks in advance! 

(Mark Pearce [82 Kg]) #2

Mate I have the Bushido smart which is the T2780, that is all you need and the free IPhone app to update the firmware on it as soon as you have it, you do not need the TT4 software at all.

(Ken Verwimp) #3

Thanks for the fast answer Mark! 

I think I will order it tonight. Do you use a USB extension cable for the ANT+ dongle? My laptop will be in front of the bike but some people tend to need the extension cable. 

Thanks! 

(Mark Pearce [82 Kg]) #4

Mate I just use this, my Surface Pro 3 sits in front of my bike exactly as you are describing and I never have any drop outs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251725519440?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(Mark Hewitt) #5

Don’t get the T1990 that’s the old version and might not work with ANT+FE/C, you need to make sure it’s the T2780. And you do need an iPhone/iPad to update the firmware, which I did on mine - no issue for me but if you’re not an Apple user that could be a problem.

(Steve C) #6

The T1990 is the Tacx virtual simulator software with a wireless dongle for the older Tacx T1980 i-Bushido:

http://www.tacx.com/products/trainers/bushido

The new Bushido Smart is a different trainer -  the T2780 http://www.tacx.com/en/products/trainers/bushido-smart

Now, you can upgrade this for free to get the ANT+ FE-C protocol working. This allows software to control the trainer - such as Zwift.  

But Tacx also sell an virtual reality simulator and ANT+ dongle package for this trainer too - T2990 http://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/upgrade-smart

The problem is, they call this package ‘Upgrade Smart’ which is really confusing. You don’t need this to run Zwift. Basically, it’ an alternative to Zwift - and much more expensive.

(Mark Fluss) #7

Hey fellow Bushido T2780 riders, I have my unit on the way.  Like Steve C, I did not buy the Upgrade Smart package that includes the Tacx dongle and software.  I already have my own USB2 dongle.  After a few months of use, I was wondering if any of you have a list of surprises I can expect, or has it all gone smoothly for you?

(Mark Pearce [82 Kg]) #8

Hi Mark,

Mine is going really well, I have nearly nearly 900km in Zwift on it now and it hasn’t skipped a beat for me. Make sure you set resistance in Zwift to full once you have it paired. I also found that with a 700C wheel that it should be set to the middle setting and not the bottom one as the manual says, you’ll know what I mean when it arrives and you put it together. This gives me a much better calibration on the Bushido when I do it.

(Mark Fluss) #9

Thanks Mark.  My unit has still not arrived.  I ordered one from Europe, and they shipped it over by boat, through the Panama Canal to the Port of Oakland.  It has been stuck in customs for over two weeks now.  I need it!.  My 8 year old I-Magic is starting to wear out.  Anyway, I have a quick question for you.  I know the unit can calculate your cadence based on power fluctuations in your pedal stroke.  Can Zwift use this data over ANT+, or do you need a separate cadence sensor?  My plan is to use the Bushido for speed, power and cadence.

(Mark Fluss) #10

Thanks Mark.  My unit has still not arrived.  I ordered one from Europe, and they shipped it over by boat, through the Panama Canal to the Port of Oakland.  It has been stuck in customs for over two weeks now.  I need it!.  My 8 year old I-Magic is starting to wear out.  Anyway, I have a quick question for you.  I know the unit can calculate your cadence based on power fluctuations in your pedal stroke.  Can Zwift use this data over ANT+, or do you need a separate cadence sensor?  My plan is to use the Bushido for speed, power and cadence.

(Mark Pearce [82 Kg]) #11

Mate I hope it arrives quickly for you. It does mate and it does a good job of it as well, I ride a Trek Madone with a duotrap digital speed and cadence sensor and I dont use it, my bushido smart does it all. The only thing I am thinking about doing is using a power meter to display power as I understand doing this allows the bushido smart to alter its resistance even quicker with swift.

(Alistair Aitken) #12

I got my Bushido Smart yesterday to replace my Tacx Flow, and all is going smooth.

As mentioned above I used the middle setting for a 700c wheel/tyre.

I used the iphone app to upgrade the firmware to the latest version, and calibrated the turbo a few times (adjust the wheel pressure until the calibration result is in the middle of the graph).

Then I fired up Zwift and got on with a workout. The workout automatically varies the resistance to the correct wattage, and seems to work fine - no more need to shift gears. The main issue is that I had to lower my FTP by 20W (seems the Bushido has a more accurate power output than the Flow, my previous one must have been optimistic).

When the workout finished it switched back to normal zwift, and the resistance was automatically controlled to simulate hills and descents. Feels completely different to the previous experience of no variation, much more like cycling outdoors and need to shift the gears accordingly. I need to decide whether this is a good thing, but definitely feels much more ‘real’.

So all good so far, all working as expected.

Bonus is the unit is significantly quieter than the Tacx Flow. Wasn’t expecting that.

(Mark Fluss) #13

Well it finally arrived.  A box within a box within a box, beat up and a bit damp, no tracking number on the outer box, just my name and address in black sharpie.  But the unit was well protected by the factory foam and it worked well right after it was unpacked.  I used the Android app to check the firmware (it was up to date) and the calibration.  So a few minutes later I was off on my first ride.  I forgot to set Zwift resistance to full, so I had to put it in my biggest gear on the hills in order to generate power.  I’ll slide the bar up before my next ride.  Maybe not all the way, as the front derail on my trainer bike does not work very well and I would rather not have to drop into the little ring on the hills.  I am a big guy and ride with a lower cadence, so hopefully I can find a big ring gear that allows my to pedal at around 75 and still hit 450.  But overall, it was fun.  I’ll be hitting it again tonight

(Chris Mavrangelos AHDR) #14

Hey guys 

Brand new user of zwift and the bushido. A question if I may. I have set up the trainer on position 2 but struggling to get enough pressure on my rear wheel thus my tyre is slipping big time on hills. When I try to turn the knob even more to push the roller up further it seems to screw right out. Should I go for position 1 instead? I have 700c wheels with 23 tyre. My calibration results are right on the low end of acceptable but try as I might I cant get the score up to midrange which I assume will help with my tyre slipping issues.

Any help very much appreciated