Support for Tacx older smart trainers

(* Minyana*NEO [ZESP]) #22

Phew !!! I have not heard anything too technical for me

0 Likes

(CAROLINA GARCIA) #23

I also think it would be a good idea to use the usb tacx the swift. I have a speed sensor / cadence and heart rate monitor garmin ant + and although it works, is not the same, yours would zwift control the resistance trainer.

0 Likes

(J) #24

… This is probably a worn out thread, but I have suggested to Tacx through other forums that its understandable they dont want to make their older “Interactives” compatible with Zwift, I get it, sales of new devices. I have proposed this: Tacx determines a fee they want to open up their older devices, they have something - we want it, simple business. So say its $30,000, whatever I’m pulling a number out of thin air, a crowd sourcing model is used. Tacx has a mailing list, send out the proposition. If we as a group of older Tacx owners make their dollar number, good - We don’t, well there was not enough interest. I think as a EU Company this would be a responsible alternative to many perfectly good trainers, plus the associated hardware and electronics being tossed aside simply because Tacx wants to preserve ongoing sales. . . . AS a workaround, I do this. Wahoo Speed/Cadence ANT, set Zwift to Tacx Blue Twist. Open TTS4 software, set to “Free Cycling” - set grade to . .8% to 1% … Tacx TTS4 power numbers match Zwift very closely at wattages over 200 …

0 Likes

(. KeithD [WKG](c) Final Front EAR) #25

Please see my new post on getting older Tacx trainers to work by piggy backing TTS software. I have not tried it as I have a Genius Smart, but I know lots of people with the older trainers who could use them manually adjusting grade, but it would be better if the two systems could be run to get an accurate speed and distance on Zwift matching the TTS software. The problem would be sorted. https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000213343-Tacx-Fortius-and-I-Magic 

0 Likes

(paha SBG [ZHU]) #26

Joe Giovenco your idea is good.  Have you got any response from TACX?

0 Likes

(paha SBG [ZHU]) #27

John Taylor: if the protocol already has been reverse engineered, isn’t it possible to create a device which communicates with the trainer through USB and acts like an ANT+ device on the other end?

0 Likes

(Dave Rossow (Las Vegas)) #28

Peter, interesting idea. I’m sure it could be done using a simple Raspberry Pi with an Ant+ dongle for under $50.

0 Likes

(paha SBG [ZHU]) #29

@Dave: yes the hardware costs are low but we need someone who knows USB programming on Linux, knows the ANT+ protocol, is a bike fanatic and has an old Tacx trainer. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(J) #30

#Tacx has of course not responded … Sure it would be nice if the older Tacx’s were smart and not dumb. But they are not that dumb, they can report wattage. that would be good enough. I can understand why Tacx wont let the older models be Interactive - so here is the compromise - Just let the watts and maybe speed be reported - How about that Tacx - Thats not asking too much is it ??

0 Likes

(Dave Rossow (Las Vegas)) #31

@Peter, I’m going to take a stab at it.  I have a Fortius trainer I haven’t used in a few years, and I have several raspi’s sitting on my workbench already waiting for a good project.  I think I may also have an Ant+ dongle already too.

0 Likes

(paha SBG [ZHU]) #32

Glad to hear that. If you don’t find the dongle I can support your project by buying one for you. Or tell me if I can support it somehow. Thank you.

0 Likes

(J) #33

Peter (I noted in another thread - Hey Tacx just let the old stuff report watts!!) … Yes its absolutely true that in Tacx Software Versions previous to TTS3 … Netathlon was a usable 2nd party app. And it worked well. Tacx can open the older trainers, they have in the past, it’s not new ground - They just dont want to, 

0 Likes

(Stian Maurstad) #34

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I see all these posts, and it´s sad & poor customer service from Tacx (please show your good side).

The fact that they don´t help out their existing customers with power data from the old trainers. It would be perfect for a secondary

setup for kids, wife or at a cabin place or similar. If they understood the great benefit and credit this would give to existing customer (much better to keep existing vs. getting bad rep. and finding new ones), they would understand that the likelyhood of staying with Tacx would greatly increase (if they listened & collaborated). Instead people now start buying Wahoo (like my self and many others) + other brands, where they care more for their customers. I think it is sad to see old trainers laying around a potentially just being thrown away. I would love to support any efforts & development. I am not rich nor developer my self, but would definetly pay to support a solution for my old Tacx Fortius multiplayer trainer to work with Ant+ & hopefully Zwift.

All the best, Stian

0 Likes

(Stian Maurstad) #35

But on second thought, the best thing to do I guess is to just switch indoor trainer brand, and show them what happens when they don´t care for their existing customers. I guess you could always use the old trainer for TTS4 etc… of course boring compared to Zwift, but it´s at least a case where the hardware can be used.

Stian

0 Likes

(J) #36

Ok – Will someone tell me what a raspi is . .and if this works I’ll stop gazing at NEOs …Oh and about switching brands … Tacs cant make Flux’s and NEOs fast enough … Delivery date for NEOs has been pushed back at least twice and maybe 3 times . Ya know - In the early days of TTS3 and TTS4, it was constant updates, then fix what the update broke. Fitness was a possible gain, patience was the probable gain - And not to mention - The hardware would just break - - I have gone on and on in the Tacx Forum in a way that some thought was entertaining (Bowfluv there) taking stabs at Tacx - Hey! They owe us early users for all the nights we would kit up - Get up & something was Screwed up…Right now the Tacx free Virtual is really good, the thing is, absolutely no one uses it. 

0 Likes

(Dave Rossow (Las Vegas)) #37

@Joe, “raspi” is just shorthand for Raspberry Pi, which is a miniature single-board Linux computer that is highly extensible and smaller than a bar of soap.

0 Likes

(paha SBG [ZHU]) #38

Thank you @Dave.  Just let me know if I can help somehow.  Testing, whatever.  I have also a Fortius trainer.  You find me @paha77 on Twitter, FB, Gmail, everywhere. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Robert Klinkhammer[TriFury]) #39

Well, this is my new project.   I am glad the USB protocol has been reverse engineered.  It should be a simple matter of utilizing a small micro controller (I have several), have one USB connection to the trainer, and another USB for an ANT+ dongle.  All that would be required is to translate the TACX data to look like some other supported trainer.   I assume that the ANT+ interfaces for trainers has some documentation somewhere.  

This really shouldn’t be that hard.  Once I am done, I will post the code on GITLAB.

0 Likes

(Robert Klinkhammer[TriFury]) #40

https://code.google.com/archive/p/fortius/wikis/Version010UserManual.wiki

0 Likes

(L Cliff 65+) #41

Have a Tacx Neo with ~80 hours on it as reported by Zwift, and the unit died. No lights, no lovely hum when idling. Things break that happens; what wasn’t expected is poor customer support. 

0 Likes