Streak and XP Leveling Adjustments [April 2024]

At this point I think just randomly assigning people levels and challenge unlocks we probably cause fewer complaints!

2 Likes

Like big spin, but you either level up 10 or lose 10 levels :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, i like it.

or maybe you get a spin after each level you complete to say how many XP you’ll need to get to the next one

1 Like

This is just getting to who can come up with the ideas that will be most annoying.

Easiest is set 12000xp per level after level 100, with infinite levels. Maybe add some jerseys in there at particular levels but that is it. No other tweaks, no other convoluted schemes and spend the effort on other features like new roads, new bikes for drop shop, etc.

3 Likes

only because we need to entertain ourselves due the deafening silence of Zwift on this.

6 Likes

It would be great to hear something… The original post said the change would come in early May, but hopefully they’ve been listening to people and reconsidering the proposed changes.

2 Likes

Be careful what you wish for - as they cannot please all the users, they may decide to please groups of users on rotation, and rejig the XP system monthly.

Or they may decide its not worth all the hassle and scrap it completely :rofl:

Maybe they hope that everyone will get so upset by the new subscription price increase that they won’t pay attention to whatever changes they make to the leveling system…

3 Likes

I’m going to add my 2 cents worth here about this controversial topic. First, some background about who am I as an outdoor road/gravel cyclist and veteran Zwifter… I’m pretty much been a seasonal Zwift user, once my weeknight rides end for the year in mid September I am on Zwift almost all the time (average of at least 4 days a week) during the winter months and I have been using Zwift as my primary method of indoor training since 2016. 30 years experience riding outdoors, and I have done some racing in the past (too old to consider it now). To start, the fact that Zwift has had to implement changes to the XP/level system 5 times now since I started using the platform just tells me that it hasn’t been well thought out in a long term way from the original system (anyone remember 25 levels?!?). I understand that it’s a carrot for motivation, and for keeping customers on the platform, and it has be done in a way for new customers to keep them motivated, but this now the third time in my situation that they have moved the goalposts out of the 5 sets of changes. Any rider who is using this as motivation and has gotten close to that achievement - let me state that when I started Zwift, I didn’t pay too much attention to the levels and was really focusing on becoming a better Zwifter, as it’s not quite like riding outdoors LOL, but as I stayed with the platform through the user explosion from the pandemic, gave myself my own challenges (like riding a century in every Zwift world) to complete and go for bling like the Tron bike, route badge hunting, and everything else that interested me, I started to collect a lot of XP and found myself within 5 levels or less than the maximum. And, as you can guess, when one is that close it adds some extra motivation, even if it’s to just finish your Zwift session on an integral amount of distance whether miles or kilometers! So when Zwift decides after looking at the big data for how fast their users are leveling up, and says hey let try to fix this mostly broken and inadequately thought out system from the start, let me tell you that I was okay with it and tolerated it for the first one, wasn’t happy about the second one to L50 (was at 48 when that happened) but didn’t complain, for the third I had just started creating a plan on the Level 60 system to see what I would have to do last winter (2023-2024) to get to there and it got modified again, now you’re talking about another change less than a year after the change to L100 because users were leveling up too fast?!? It makes them look ridiculous! I had just started a spreadsheet to track my XP progress before the L100 change was implemented - I was at level 57 at the time, and I could tell after maybe two months of populating my XP numbers on there and closely tracking my progress, that the new system made it way too easy! After all, you’re giving 1000 XP for just doing two rides a week (+500 bonus * 2) in consecutive weeks, that’s an example of one flaw… This past winter I advanced more levels in the ~ 4 1/2 month period than I had in any of my previous years on the platform! It didn’t take a genius to figure out who was going to get to level 100 only two months after the new level system was rolled out in December - I saw my first L100 kit on a SCZL Tuesday night group ride well before the end of February.

Long story short - stop monkeying around with the system Zwift. You are annoying your veteran user base. My opinion on what to do? Get rid of the accelerated leveling, it’s confusing, give the rider a choice of what to do based on their XP, how many years they have been a customer, etc. to let me zip up X amount of levels or change any excess XP into drop points or whatever. You’re on the verge of driving me away, possibly for good.

3 Likes

The current system and the changes to the past ones are also offensive, or sending the wrong message, to us “seasonal” Zwifters. Don’t penalize me because it’s springtime and I want to ride outdoors with my friends and clubs and teams! Usually by the time spring and the warmer weather is happening in my region, I am sick of riding the trainer anyway - whether a smart trainer or a dumb/fluid one.

I use a spreadsheet to track my rider score against the previous level 60 system. Completely ignore the current level 100 system and it’s ludicrous banked XP.

1 Like

That must make the game really fun :grimacing:

(I also completely ignore the leveling system, without the spreadsheet)

1 Like

What did you do after level 60 in the spreadsheet?

Interesting idea though, not that I’d go that far - I see enough spreadsheets at work.

I won’t mock you for it, good attention to detail.

“What did you do after level 60 in the spreadsheet?”

I’ll worry about that when I get there, level 60 is a long way off for me, way beyond the current level 100. I’m level 49 under the old system at the mo, long term target was to get to level 50.

1 Like

Blockquote
The original post said the change would come in early May, but hopefully they’ve been listening to people and reconsidering the proposed changes.

With Xp levels, Zwift is listening and reconsidering
But with prices, they turn a deaf ear and will lose a large group of Zwifters to the competition.

2 Likes

This change was suppose to happen in early may. Have the plans changed?

It was stated that the new leveling system would be introduced in early May. Early May has come and gone and we still haven’t heard anything. Does that mean nothing is happening? Or some new plan? It would certainly be nice to hear some official update…

2 Likes

I think Zwift have the attention span of a Gen-Z got bored of XP and have now moved on to Zwift Labs

1 Like

I think this is the case, and i think the new plan is…(drum roll)

A 38% price increase :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like