Strava deletes all zwift segments except for zwift insider verified ones

Question: Did Strava do this only to Zwift world or to other virtual worlds like RGT?

1 Like

thanks steve, looks like that does work. i will probably spend the next few hours on this.
thanks strava!

It looks like it has affected almost all of the Virtual cycling apps. There used to be a handful of BKool created segments on the real world maps that overlapped Zwift maps - e.g. on the Champs Elysees in Paris, round Central Park in New York; but those have all gone as well. Yet a few from Tacx remain on the Harrogate (Yorkshire) map for some reason.

thats odd, i donā€™t really use the other programs but i canā€™t imagine they suffered from the same crowding and redundancy that zwift did. maybe zwift is doing this for some other reasonā€¦

They left a couple of Fulgaz segments on the Yorkshire Pump Room ride.

Still have all the oddball RGT segments.

This is a great move, I think. Way too many public segments out there that would have to be hidden. Iā€™m glad to have just the Zwift Insider segments now, and any segments I want to create for my own needs. Thanks Strava!

1 Like

It would be nice if one could share the segments they have made. I put a lot of work into getting pinpoint accuracy into some Alp sections and a few others
I agree it was too time consuming to hide every worthless segment. I can understand why Strava had to cut the cord, so to speak.
. Hopefully, Eric at ZI can add the ones that got cut out (20-18 and 18-16), the Leg Snapper (Kleiner Hill) of Innsbruck. What else?

2 Likes

There really needs to be more than one single person deciding what is a segment. Itā€™s not fair to the community and itā€™s not fair to that one single person.

1 Like

This sucks. Almost all of my favourite segments have gone.

Can I at least have Mario Kart back?

2 Likes

Meh, whereā€™s the fun in that? I have competitions with friends on segments. Canā€™t do that with private ones.

No, none whatsoever. Most of the fun in segments is competing with other people.

8 Likes

Then be sure to comment over on Zwift Insider to see if the segment you want can gain enough traction for Eric to create it.

No, Iā€™m opposed to the idea that one person should be the gatekeeper of all Zwift-based Strava segments. Iā€™m not going to support that.

8 Likes

I 99% agree with you on this.

However, what if it was Strava that decided this on their own and that going forward, they would be the gatekeeper of Zwift segments? or what if Strava worked w/Zwift to decide which segments were allowed. That would not be a single person per se, but the result would be the same. In the end, whether a group or single person becomes the gatekeeper to segments, there is going to be disagreement over what is worthy vs unworthy.

In addition, there was way too much garbage. It needed to be cleaned out. Personally, I had hidden almost all non-ZwiftInsider segments. I kept a few special ones around (anakin, leg snapper, very intense, etcā€¦), but all the other :poop: was hidden. So I too will miss some segments, but Iā€™m okay w/this move by Strava. Now whether or not a random internet bloke like @Eric_Schlange_ZwftIn should be the gatekeeper is an entirely different debate :wink: :joy:

I agree there were too many segments. No doubt many that made sense to a specific group of people but werenā€™t generally useful.

I understand the processing overhead aspect. Zwift segments arenā€™t like normal roads, so they probably require a lot more data crunching. One personā€™s ride might cover hundreds of segments. Multiply that by tens of thousands of riders every hour and itā€™s certainly not trivial.

But this pruning is too much. Along with all the rubbish segments, a lot of useful, event/race-based and fun ones have been removed.

My opposition to a single gatekeeper isnā€™t about Eric S. Not even slightly. Heā€™s done a huge amount for the Zwift community over the years, and Zwift Insider is one of the primary resources for all Zwifters. Iā€™ve a lot of respect for Eric, and I do believe he has the communityā€™s interests at heart. If anyone should be that gatekeeper, Iā€™m OK with it being Eric.

I just donā€™t think it should be that way. Ideally there would be some sort of system for crowdsourcing segments. e.g. they get proposed and people get to vote for them. If enough* people support a segmentā€™s creation it gets made.

* What constitutes ā€œenoughā€ is left as an exercise for the reader.

4 Likes

I think if we just get a handful of people with broad and diverse interests that cover most of the community and pair it with an open process and a set of guiding principles where anyone can propose a new segment and make a case for it (but it needs to gain approval) weā€™d be looking at something good.

I think we should be happy that Strava agreed to keep some of the segments, from some of the conversation last year it sounded like they were planning to remove all segments.

I only compair my own segment times because thereā€™s so many factors and bugs that can impact other riders times.

I use it a lot for goal setting. Same as when I did a lot of indoor rowing. I set myself the target of being in the upper quartile for my age group for example.

The great thing about Zwift segments was precisely that there were so many people to compare against that I could be confident of getting a reasonable comparison against riders. Other factors would largely be negated by the huge sample set.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think we should be happy that strava didnā€™t cut more things, that seems like backwards thinking to me.

I pay for Strava. Because it has things I want. They cut zwift segments, it now has significantly less of the things I want.

7 Likes

I paid for Strava because you had to in order to get live segments outdoors. Sometimes I enjoyed a little gamification on the real road, not to get a KOM, but just to see if I got close to or bettered my time on a clear stretch of road. It was motivational.

Iā€™ve moved away from area where I rode outside for years, so that opportunity is not available. Still, I had that record of Zwifting since beta days.

Iā€™d wished that Strava and Zwift would have worked out providing live segments indoors ā€“ or Zwift could do the equivalent themself, within their database. 30 day Zwift PRs are not remotely the same thing, and far more so when you may be riding that Zwift course for the first time in more than 30 days.

Even without the live feedback while Zwifting, the Strava record could at least be looked at later. Now itā€™s all gone, including 5+ years of segment history in Watopia.

Yes, there were many garbage segments. It was never a big deal to click the ā€œhideā€ button on the Strava web page to put away the new useless ones that popped up. Perhaps Strava could have simply deleted the segments that enough Strava users had hidden. Or even use some human curation inside Strava. It would not take weeks for one person to look and pick out a useful set of segments to retain, and keep more than the Zwift Insider segments (which would be the place to start on which segments to keep).

3 Likes