Straight line Map Bug going Between events or meetups [May 2021] (Long distance)

Why does Zwift add this line when looking at the route? On the overall view visible in strava, this extends to Europe here😂

Recently just rode 15,000ks from Watopia to London via Russia. Only took 1hr at 111 watts. Pretty happy with that effort thanks Strava :+1::joy:

Richmond to Watopia in 30 min utes - low carbon footprint cycle through the tunnel

3 Likes

Anyone else getting crazy long distances when synced rides to Strava? Last x3 have been (approximaty) 15,000km 1,100km and 5,300km. Each time it was a private group ride. I started early to warm up, then ported across to the group ride start when prompted by Zwift. Appears the porting to the new world ride start point is then translated to Strava. E.g. start warm up in watopia and group ride is in New York. P. S loving Strava kms for the year!!! Now done + +30,000km in 6 months!!! (joking)

+1
Is there a solution?

The solution is to end your ride, then start a new one and join the Meetup.

But that assumes you’ll remember. :smiley: I didn’t on my Meetup today.

Looks like Strava has at least created a filter for intercontinental teleportation so that these are no longer included in the distance accumulated in the activity.

Hi all, Great forum. This exact issue has occurred with myself and other riders in my organised “Meet up”. We begin our ride - click on the Meet up button - wiat while we take you to “wherever the meet up is riding in” (e.g. Watopia) - and when the ride is complete and automatically sync’s to Strava - we get a straight line on the map.

Ride data (distance, elevation gain, speeds, power etc) all accurate and reflected in Strave sync - but map incorrect.

Any thoughts, ideas to rectify??

@Daren I don’t understand your suggestion. There is no first ride for me to end. I click on Go Ride and then click on my Meetup. There is no way to go to a meetup without starting a ride … at least on an iPad, which is what I’m using. So I travel zero distance before starting the meetup, but wherever the ride is … London, Paris, Watopia … Zwift puts in the latitude and longitude and then takes me to the meet up.
If you have a different method, I’d love to hear it. After a month of this, I’m losing patience with Zwift … and Strava.

@Anna_Ronkainen I haven’t seen any difference on Strava. My ride this morning was over 9,000 miles because I “started” in Paris and the Meet up was Makuri. Did you get some indication from Strava that they had fixed it? At one time, I too thought it was fixed, but that lasted just one ride and then the problem re-occurred.

For the curious, these are the entries from the GPX file I downloaded from Strava showing my “flight” from Paris to Makuri this morning (14 July 2021):

<trkseg>
   <trkpt lat="48.8686850" lon="2.3107040">
    <ele>47.8</ele>
    <time>2021-07-14T10:59:11Z</time>
   </trkpt>
   <trkpt lat="72.9505250" lon="56.0992210">
    <ele>47.8</ele>
    <time>2021-07-14T10:59:12Z</time>
   </trkpt>

To explain, the lat,long of 48,2 if Paris and in one-hundredth of a second I’m at 72,56 which is in the Kara Sea north of Russia.

No, just figured out it must be the case since the activities (of others) I see in my feed that feature these things now have much more realistic distances shown.

When this happens to me the distance I have ridden is correct, but a straight line is drawn in the gpx recording. It is something that started happening in the last few months for me. I assume it happens because your character is moved on the map from the current location, to the new location, when starting a ride. As a result the character being moved to the new location gets included in the gpx.

1 Like