Should yellow banner ride to advertised pace?

Today I was on a ride advertised as 2-2.5 W/kg. Soon after the start, the ride leader announced that the front should hold back, because after all: this was a group ride. And… that he would hold steady at 2.6…

Later as the ride progressed, he said he would hold steady at 2.8, and then 3.

This ride included three sprints, with the ride leader announcing 6, 7, then 8 W/kg. The leader also announced hills at 3, and the final hill climb at 4.

It was a great workout, so for that I am grateful. But I was also dropped, so had to ride the last bit alone, though my final average was 2.7.

On another group ride on which I was dropped, the red banner was riding -in front of- the yellow banner.

I can understand flyers who fly. In that case, leaving the group is voluntary, and often they are with other flyers all enjoying a group ride together above the advertised pace.

And, I can understand signing up for a ride advertising an average well below one’s FTP; I’ve done this when I’m tired, or so I can offer pulls to stragglers.

It is frustrating for those who sign up for a ride that seems appropriate for their fitness, only to find they are left behind the group – involuntarily – and end up riding most of it alone.

So… if, for example, a ride is advertised as 2-2.5 W/kg, shouldn’t the ride leader average 2.25, or at least no more than 2.5? Maybe they could ride 3 up hills, but then cut back until their average mellows out and the majority of people catch up?

First off, as a veteran ride leader myself, I completely agree with you. But I would go further:

• “average pace” doesn’t work, as a leader could easily sprint to decimate the group and still come within a specified average
• following on from that, a pace range should be advertised and the leader will always ride within that range
• anything other than a steady pace should be stated in the event description, e.g., sprints, uphill surges, interval training, etc.
• I also add estimated power, as well as w/kg, as lighter, heavier, and taller riders will find their w/kg is different to mine

10 Likes

@Vern_Spinner - this is from the “Annoying but funny” post:

You learn who which Leads/Clubs/rides to trust and avoid, but still get the odd bad apple. Most are good.

1 Like

I’m a newbie on the Zwift, or any other platform, platform.
I’ve been on for 2 months and have participated in 14 “rides”…lol they are “races” in sheep’s clothing.
I participated to ride at a milder pace for core building since in Northern NY it is snowing and not much going on until spring.
They started like the races I’ve done…fast at the drop of the flag. Not a big deal for me as I ride to my plan and try, really I do, not to push beyond my plan…“all plans, etc.”
What I find the most humorous is the leader, not all rides but most, constantly typing “front group slow up so we can blob”, etc. and not a single person pays any attention, after all it is a race no matter what it’s named.
If rides, say from 1 to 2 w/kg, and a red barrier would relegate riders that ignored the barrier or effort range to the back of the group it would be more consistent with the posted goals/efforts.
But as a whole I don’t care. If I can’t keep up I drop back. If I’m riding to plan I really really try to stick to the plan, but sometimes it is so hard.
Overall it is just fun to ride with real people and go as hard or easy as I like. So much better than the decades of mind numbing ride on my old mag trainer watching a video of an old race.
Thanks Zwift and especially the members…