Saris H3, ATV Bluetooth dropout

I am running the most recent version 31.063. I don’t have any issues (drops or lags) with the H3 when I connect to a MacBook via BT. These drops only occur with the ATV.

I am planning an experiment for today using H3 connected to a MacBook via BT. I will start a ride and at some point, I will turn off the BT for a split second and turn it back on and see how the H3 handles the communication drop. I notice that when the remote drops out, within a second it reconnects and is functional. Why doesn’t the H3 have the same reaction?

I updated zwift Monday evening and have done 3 rides now without any issues.
One ride Tuesday morning and then the TT and ZWIFT group ride Wednesday evening.
I have the most current H3 update as well.
I also added a new google nest to help with any internet connection issues, so perhaps a better router performance.
I am not sure but it seems like on group rides I am keeping up better during accelerations so perhaps I had a slight lagging or prior but was unaware. Or I just improved which is unlikely at my age.
I will ride more this weekend and report back as I feel it’s good to report the good with the bad, and I enjoy debug on these issues.

Rob

I took a spin through Titans Grove today as the quickly changing topography of that route really gives the resistance sensitivity between the game and the trainer a good test. Everything was spot on, the resistance timing and ramping was tight and just as it should be. And as a bonus extra no BT drop. I’m really getting hopeful now that we’re getting out of the woods on this issue.
P.S.: My wife has also done a couple of rides with no issue.

Just ran the experiment. H3 connected to MacBook with BT. While I was pedaling, I turned off BT, avatar stopped pedaling as expected. While still pedaling, I turned BT back on after 5 seconds. Nothing happened until I go to the pairing page which then the H3 reconnects all by itself and the avatar starts moving again.

On the ATV, the H3 will not connect unless I unpaired and powered it down. Wait a minute, power it up and then repair the H3. If it works on the first try.

Hopefully if they fix the BT dropping issue, they can add the auto reconnect as well.

Updated ATV and Zwift. 50:00 ride yesterday with H3 to ATV with no issues. Trying big event today and will report back.

@Joao_Flores - what version of TVOS are you running? The new update (14.4) seems to be working. I just did 60 minute 100+ person ride. H3 and HRM connected via BT and iPad with BT earbuds running Discord. No drops.

I am running the latest updates on ATV, Zwift, H3 and Zwift Companion. I have had a few days (I think 4 days in a row) with no issues and then on the 5th day the BT drops. I have had an instance where it dropped 2 to 3 times in one ride.

I have had the same setup (ATV, H3 and Companion App) for over a year with no issues. Then late October early November is when this started.

I completed the zwift stage this morning without issues!

It was short so I started a race after and 2/3 of the way thru I cyber flatted, blue tooth dropped out, my rider just lost the group and I was left motionless in the middle of the road. No one waited, no one asked if I had everything or offered there spare Bluetooth…

I tried disconnecting the trainer and reconnecting but this did not work.
I ended the session and started another and it asked if I want to continue, I selected YES and I was riding a regular course no longer in the event.
Everyone finished, rehashed the race, and went home after the awards.

I may try again tomorrow morning. Bluetooth DNF.

Rob

Rob, sorry to hear. I usually carry a spare BT, if I knew I would have shared my spare. LOL

First @Rob_Mitchell , that sucks, sorry to hear that.
I would like to propose a little poll since we have some different results coming in. I went back to the 31.062 version of the H3 firmware after having some very screwy things happen with the newer 31.063 flavor. So far since the Apple Zwift updates (knock on wood) I have not had any issues. So what the heck, lets compare notes on this. @Joao_Flores has communicated that he is running the .063 version, how about you @Rob_Mitchell and @Lou_Glaser ?

I am running the .063 version as well, updated last Monday evening.

It went well Tuesday morning Z(Zwift group stage ride)
It went well Wednesday a evening with TT race (19-20 minutes) followed up with zwift stage group ride.
It went well with group ride this morning but during crit race it dropped me out.

I updated Saris H3 trainer as well and ran calibration and zwift spin down.
I am using iPad Pro (1 year old) and iPhone XS for companion.
Also using wireless headphone thru iPhone for music.

Current setup:
Zwift version 1.0.61590
TVOS version 14.4 (18K802)
H3 firmware version 31.063

Well OK it looks like it’s up to Lou and I to test out if the firmware has any bearing on this. Lou hasn’t had any failures on .063 and I haven’t had any on .062.
My wife and I will both be riding today, will post the results.

I’m jumping on shortly for 90 minute non-event ride (events have mostly been my problem child). Will report back.

Just finished another ride – 25 miles, 1hr10m. Latest version of ATV 4K iOS, Zwift app, and double checked the H3 firmware after (31.063). TICKR connected to ATV as well and running BT headphones to my iPhone for Spotify. It’s been 20 days since I had a BT drop now, including 4 TdZ stages. It’s honestly baffling to me that we’re all running basically the same setup and there’s such a huge variance in performance across the board.

My wife and I both rode today, no issues. Looking forward to hearing how things went for Lou. While I have done a crappy job of logging rides I would say between my wife and I we have to be around 15 rides collectively without issue. As I have been disappointed so many times before when I thought the “code had been cracked” I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. :grinning:

90 minute ride. H3 and HRM connected to ATV via BT. iPad running companion app and Discord with BT earbuds connected. No drops at all.

Interestingly, it was a meet up ride with a friend. He also has an H3 but running Zwift on a PC. No HRM and no companion app. Phone with BT earbuds. Early on in the ride he had two drops. Both times the game reconnected itself and he could continue.

Thanks Lou, the mystery continues…

Oh, Oh, here we go, my bubble got broke today. Resistance latency was back on two different rides. While I have had a handful of complete BT drops, my main issue has been the latency. Not much else to say, this is just another of many disappointments.

I had a good day. Just finished a 31 mile ride without any issues.