Saris H3, ATV Bluetooth dropout

Updated the Zwift APT app this morning to V 1.0.60640.

Warmed up with with ride for 38:39 and had no drops.

Started Tour de Zwift Stage 3. Made it 1:19:36 and then started to experience a series of dropouts. In Strava, you can see a series of four dropouts followed by reconnections. The fifth dropout was fatal (.6 miles from the top of Ventoux - argh). Had to restart the H3.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier - I have the H3 and a Garmin Dual HRM connected to ATV through BLE. When the dropout occurs, it is not just the H3 that disconnects - the HRM also disconnects. So issue is not limited to the H3.

1 Like

The fault could still be strongly connected with the H3, particularly as the only people seemingly reporting this sort of issue with ATV are H3 users.

For example, it could be the H3 creating RF interference.

It could be some sort of BT communication specific to the H3 that is causing the BT to disconnect everything on the ATV (maybe an ATV BT bug, or maybe the H3 is sending something it shouldn’t which legitimately confuses the ATV?).

Those are just some examples off the top of my head. But the common factor in all these issues is the combination of ATV and H3.

1 Like

Fair point, but if the H3 is creating BLE interference generally, then wouldn’t such interference exist with respect to any BLE connection, such as a computer, iPad, iPhone, etc.? Whatever is happening is causing Zwift/ATV to not be able to find any BLE connections after this happens, including non-H3 connections.

Given the evidence on this thread, and the other relevant threads, the problem is definitely specific to H3, but the predominant issues arose after a Zwift update in the fall, and most cases involve an H3-ATV interaction. I agree its BT interference. In my own troubleshooting, I’ve managed to have no drops when I turn of my phones BT, and skip the HRM. Problems return when I bring another BT device near the trainer/ATV. My inference is that the fall update changed a way that BT signal is captured and retained for H3s. It seems like other devices compete for the three slots available to ATV and kick out the trainer. These issues do not seem to be appearing between H3 and other programs.

I assume a zwift update that debugs this would be the right approach.

1 Like

Throwing my two cents in here as well. I’ve had two BT dropouts total in ~40 rides. The biggest thing I encounter is the resistance being backwards, where going uphill is easier than downhill. I can easily fix that in the first couple minutes of a ride by unplugging the H3 and going to the connection screen within Zwift and un-pairing/re-pairing the trainer.

I’ve been keeping an eye on these threads just to see what everyone has been saying though. The only thing different from my situation than the majority of cases I see here is that I’m always riding after having powered off the ATV. I use it as my main streaming device, so I switch from my TV upstairs to the downstairs bike setup. I’m also connecting a TICKR HRM to the ATV. I’ve also always worn BT headphones for all my rides too, connected to my phone for Spotify.

The two times I had the BT dropout, it was the same as everyone else’s experience, where the remote disconnects and you see that pop up, then the trainer loses it immediately after. I’ve never been able to reconnect the H3 without ending the Zwift ride and closing out of the app (along with unplugging the trainer).

Wondering if my (relative) success with this setup has something to do with the ATV being rebooted before every ride? There was one night recently where I only watched downloaded shows on my PS4 and I didn’t bring the ATV upstairs, thus not rebooting it before a ride, but I can’t remember if my next BT dropout was the next day.

Thanks @Kyle_Janowski. Tried your method of restarting ATV. Also, turned off all other BT near the ATV and H3. Two rides and no dropouts.

1 Like

Add me the list - just bought the Saris H3, have been using a Stac Zero Halcyon previously. I am vEveresting on the 30th and purchased the H3 as the SZ tops out at 7%, I wanted to the real experience. I love the trainer when it works. I rode on Saturday with Mac Book ad again Monday with no issues. Today didn’t have my Mac so I used a newer iPad, dropped after 30 min, tried again, dropped after 10 min. Went to my iphone - dropped after 5-10 min. Was frustrated so I hopped on the Stac Zero and that bike, and finished my ride on the iPad - no issues at all. Something with iPad/iPhone - I hope. I will ride the Mac again tomorrow - hearing from others that no drops with Mac - that would be great.

I want to make sure I have no drops in the 12 hr ride on the 30th.

Thanks to all for sharing, looks as if there is a solution with the Mac. In 6 months of riding the Stac Zero with various devices, I have never had a drop like this. Fingers crossed.
Darcy

More updates. After 2 days using the ATV reset method, I warmed up then joined an event. H3 was connected during the warm up ride and the two minutes after joining but before the event started. The minute the event started the connection dropped. Had to restart H3 and reconnect. Rest of the event was fine - no drops. Given that, did another event today but used my Mac. No issues whatsoever.

Update - I rode Zwift for 50 km this am, but using the Mac Book Pro - no drops. Good news.
Darcy

Update-
H3 trainer, IPAD for ZWIFT(1 year old), iphone XS (1 year old) for companion on my handle bar.

I updated the trainer software to the newest, then calibrated, and have the latest ZWIFT and companion software. I still had a few minor issues this week all on the zwift tour rides.

One group ride I was suddenly riding solo but then rejoined the group after 10-12 seconds, since my rider did not pull over and stop I just kept pedaling, but should have rode harder as I almost got dropped.

The other one was complete lock up, no trainer readings for power, cadence etc… prior to start within 1 minute of actual start. I ended session on ipad deleted ride and started another and made the start in time and no issues, but I always worry when I see other riders suddenly stopped on the side with a mechanical or flat or bonk and think it is a dead zone caused by the cliffs (joking).

I tried removing my blue tooth wireless headphones from my ipad and asking them not to share with the ipad but not sure this is working, as I still get pop ups(on ipad) for the music using the phone, which is what i want, but did not to test to see to make sure the ipad is not accessing them. I thought having the phone and ipad both using them might be causing some of the bluetooth drop outs when my rider just stops.
Is anyone else using wireless ear? I guess I could try no music and see if that helps.
I also always turn off my Garmin watch just in case.

Perhaps I need to run zwift event and companion on ipad and just use the phone for music only?

Rob

I run Zwift on various devices but the Companion app is always on my iPhone. Along w/the Companion app, I play music via wireless earbuds. No issues ever.

This is not going to go well. Zwift is not meant/designed to be backgrounded. When running it needs to be in the foreground, otherwise you will have issues.

Continued updates. Today was first experience with ATV/H3 dreaded BT dropout in ergo mode. After a couple of days of no drops, including a large event ride, today there was a complete drop at the usual 40-some minute mark. Had restarted ATV before connecting to ATV. No other BT devices close by. Was doing a workout in erg mode. Was forced to unplug H3 and quit the app in order to reconnect. Without quitting the app, it could find my Stages PM (which was not previously connected), so the ATV and app could find and connect to a BT source, just not the H3.

Dang, I wish we could pinpoint this to something so people can ride with no problems. 12 days in a row with no dropouts for me (3 TdZ stages in there too). Still have been restarting the ATV and H3 before every ride. Have been using BT headphones every time as well. The headphones were dying today during stage 4 of TdZ so I even fired up a speaker to connect to my phone for Spotify, was worried that would cause some interference but all good. Where is everyone set up with their trainers? I’m in the basement and there’s not really any other electronics down there.

Basement. Trainer, fan, ATV and TV. Same location for months. Only other BT around is my HRM. I may try it without the HRM. I even connected the ATV via ethernet in case the Wifi was somehow affecting it, but no luck. Back to the MacBook with an HDMI cable until the stability gets sorted out.

I do not have the new update that people are having issues with today.
I woke up too late to warm up or update and barely made my race start at 7:00 am.
My heart rate did not pick up, but I still had my garmin watch on before I turned it off. I thought the battery on the strap might be dead so I changed it after the ride was over. I had no issues today other than old dude. No result listed due to no heart rate reading, but that is not a huge deal as I got a great workout .
I am afraid to upgrade after reading all the issues today.
I saw the release notes and had hope.
1.0.60640 version on iPad Pro (1 year old)
Saris H3 with latest trainer software and calibrated
iPhone for companion on handle bar.

I use a HRM as well, connected to the ATV. So I’m even giving it more distractions with the use of my headphones. Knock on wood mine continues to be stable, but it’s bizarre that we basically have the same set up and you’re experiencing the problems but I’m not.

As Rob mentioned with the update that’s been causing others to have the issue too, I also didn’t download that before today’s TdZ stage due to not having time. Thinking about turning off that auto update thing so I don’t get stuck with that too!

What’s everyone’s distance from H3 to ATV? My ATV is about 6-8 ft from H3. Just trying to run down every possibility.

@Kyle_Janowski @Lou_Glaser I’m in the same camp. My setup is ATV/H3/Samsung Galacy Android companion. H3 is about 6 ft away from ATV. I’ve noticed dropouts are more closely tied to me using Garmin HRM. Sometimes no drops if I am on ERG w/ HRM.

Last week I did 130 mile ride with NO HRM and had no issues.

Two rides today: 30 minute warm up and then TDZ Stage 5 for just under 50 minutes. Used MacBook Air with H3 and Garmin HRM connected via BT. No drops even with most recent Zwift update on MacBook.

Just for giggles I thought I would try the new Zwift update for APTV this morning. It was fine for about 50 minutes and boom, complete BT drop.
I’m not going to re-plow all the ground that I have covered in previous posts but suffice it to say this issue with APTV doesn’t look like its fixed yet.
Zwift PC version continues to be fine with the H3, always has. I really think all this crappola with APTV started with an Apple update back in October. All I know is mine was fine prior to that update.