Resistance is not great enough to reach the desired wattage

At different stages during a FTP the resistance is not great enough to reach the desired wattage

What FTP test are you doing? In the short and long ones once you get to the test you use the up and down arrows in the companion to increase or decrease resistance.

If the ramp test erg mode is on the whole time and you trainer should increase resistance every minute.

1 Like

What trainer are you using? Is it a dumb trainer? Are you using it with a mtb?

I started the FTP Builder programme and while doing the first training segment.

Mostly no problems except two of the 140 watt rides no matter how fast I pedalled I couldn’t get past 137 watts.

I was pedalling so fast my legs were a blur and there didn’t appear to feel any resistance against the pedals.

Strange because during other parts of the ride I had no problem with the 140 watt requirement.

I have a Wahoo Kidkr and have been using Zwift for over a year but have only just decided to do some training plans so haven’t noticed this problem before.

The cadence device on the pedals at times seems to loose connection – could this be the problem.

I have changed the battery twice – pain in the but

Greg

I started the FTP Builder programme and while doing the first training segment.

Mostly no problems except two of the 140 watt rides no matter how fast I pedalled I couldn’t get past 137 watts.

I was pedalling so fast my legs were a blur and there didn’t appear to feel any resistance against the pedals.

Strange because during other parts of the exercise I had no problem with the 140 watt requirement and had a slight resistance against the pedals

I have a Wahoo Kidkr
and have been using Zwift for over a year but have only just decided to do some training plans so haven’t noticed this problem before.

Using a Treck Domaine SL 6 road bike.

The cadence device on the pedals at times seems to loose connection – could this be the problem.

I have changed the battery twice – pain in the but

Greg

I’m not sure what the issue would be but I wouldn’t expect it to be the cadence sensor.

I am sooooooooo annoyed with the problems associated with paring the Wahoo Kickr to Zwift.

I eventually got the cadence situation sorted – But…………………….

Now I cannot get the Bluetooth to pair between the trainer and the “Controllable” section of the paired devices.

Funny thing is the power source section is connected but says no signal so am I right that there is a pair between the trainer and Zwift – just that the Controllable section will not work.

I have upgraded the blue tooth on the lap top.

Shut down and restarted numerous times including turning the power on and off at the trainer.

I have removed zwift from the lap top and reinstalled

I have “Wasted” hours on this today – very annoyed

I recall Microsoft upgrading the software the other day – would this have anything to do with it???

Regards

Greg

Im not 100% on this since I use ANT+ for these exact reasons. But remember some other users with a fair amount of tech knowledge advising Windows 10 Bluetooth is pretty much crap and usually after updates it messes up connections with Zwift.

If you’re able to I’d suggest getting an ANT+ dongle ($10-$15 on Amazon) and usb extender cable ($5) so you can get it as close as possible to the trainer.

I’ve never had issues with no connection or drop outs since switching to ANT+ myself.

Thanks for taking the time out of you day to help. :blush:

I finally resolved the problem and will relay it to you in case you come up with a similar query.

Yes, I believe the windows 10 update caused a Bluetooth problem with the crappy old Dell Lap top I have been using.

After much frustration last night I decided to swap the Dell with my wife’s Sony lap top “Which has been through the same Windows 10 update”

I really had no hope there would be a difference but was willing to try anything – so frustrated!!!.

After downloading software and pairing the trainer with the all – hey presto, it worked.

Crazy scenario – I am sure someone can tell me why this is so.

I will throw the Dell out and get a new lap top – completely over it,

I also will invest in ANT+ as you kindly suggest.

Thanks for your time and support.

One of the most important things someone can offer is their time as it is so precious these days.

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Now… another matter

After resolving my difficulties I completed the third session of the FTP Builder.

Generally, I find it really easy to sit on 140 watts doing around 90 Cadence for the allocated time periods.

However, at other times I cannot produce over 137 watts “In top gear, doing over 120+ cadence”

Also, when on a ride in Zwift - I can produce well over 200 watts.

The other day - In the Zwift app, I moved the slider up to max “From the middle setting” on the personal settings section of the app.

No difference…

Anyhow, when time permits I will recalibrate the Wahoo Kickr trainer.

Regards

Greg