Question for Wahoo Kickr SNAP owners

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #1

I have a Wahoo Fitness KICKR SNAP which I really like, except that it holds my bike with a leftward tilt.  A folded towel or piece of plywood under the left leg is needed to bring the bike to vertical.  Anybody else having this problem?

(Marko Hlibchuk Ⓥ) #2

(C hris Strub) #3

I never thought to look.  So I did.  Mine is level from left to right.  Might be the floor you are on.  I checked for feet adjustment, nothing.  I assume you have your wheel center with the roller and also assume everything is tight.  Make sure your skewer is locked in level with the bike.  I don’t think it’s the Kickr itself.  Another thing you could do.  Remove bike.  Place flat object across top of Kickr, use level.  This will rule out the Kicker if it is found to be level.

(Paul Graham) #4

As an aside and in addition to comment from Chris, it is possible to mount the bike at a slight angle, all looks as it should but the cycle axle is not square to the trainer frame.

Before fully ‘snapping’ the back wheel into the trainer, check the wheel axle is square.

Lift the front wheel off the ground and rock the bike to make sure the axle is settled into the capture points. Then snap it secure.

Although the wheel should be secure, don’t over-tighten. You will need to calibrate the trainer after all the re-positioning.

Ride On!

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #5

Thanks for the responses.

I’ve checked the trainer/bike on my garage slab, which I verified as level using a spirit level.  So it’s not just my floor.  I’m also measuring vertical using a spirit level directly on the rim of the rear wheel.  It’s definitely not vertical.  I’m just not seeing anything that could be causing the wheel to be leaning left other than the trainer.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I’m all ears!

(Paul Graham) #6

Can you upload a few pictures Bhaltair - include a couple with your spirit level ‘n’ stuff.

(M Troutd0g) #7

I have the Kickr Snap as well that is used with 2 different bikes and they both sit squarely when locked in.  I would take a close look at the skewer and verify that it straight.  If it’s bent that could be the problem.  If you were to ride in the trainer with inadequate tension I think it would be possible to bend that skewer. 

Also be sure to use the skewer that came with the Kickr - it has the correct shape/profile for seating into the trainer mounts on both sides. 

I always make sure that both ends of the skewer (nut and quick-release cam lever) are fully seated into the trainer mounts.  Make sure the notch in the mount aligns with the release arm on the skewer so that it will seat fully.

One last thing to check:

You could verify that the trainer mounts are trued up (aligned with each other) by removing the skewer from the wheel and mounting it in the trainer (without the wheel).  Then use a torpedo level (small bubble level) to check it out.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #8

Photos…

SNAP on garage slab.  Smooth flat concrete.

Spirit level verifies flat.

Second spirit level on a square agrees.

Spirit level square held gently against wheel rim.

Not so level.

That half-a-bubble-off may not seem like much, but it’s significant.  Following these measurements I placed two wedge shims under the left leg of the SNAP, adjusted them until the wheel measured as vertical, and then measured the thickness of the shim.  7.3 mm needed to level the bike.

This is further amplified from the floor to the seat.  I’m definitely leaning to the right on the bike and not sitting squarely on the seat.

I am using the skewer supplied by Wahoo.  It appears to be straight, I know of no damage that occurred, and if it were badly bent it wouldn’t go through the wheels axle anyway.  The notches in the left cone are aligned with the quick release lever.

I can try to take a measurement with only the skewer clamped in the trainer.  The clamping on the skewer will have to be gentle or it will bend.  There is some play in the cones when they are not securely loaded, so I’m not sure this will provide much information, but it’s worth a look to see what might be learned.

The bike feels secure in the trainer.  I can move the bike a bit when I’m not on it, but as soon as I get on the bike it settles down.  The tire is nicely centered on the roller.

I’ve spoken with Wahoo technical support (who are fantastic) but we’re all baffled.  If anyone has any other ideas, or is having a similar problem, I’d love to hear form you.

(Paul Graham) #9

Thanks for the pictures   Bhaltair

Half a bubble is significant.

The spirit level on the wheel rim would suggest the wheel is tilted to the left (your left when sitting on the bike)

If you are leaning to the right when seated, that would indicate the wheel is not sitting in the bike frame squarely.

Can you upload a picture of the area where the skewer quick release handle is sitting in the trainer cup. Reverse the trainer cup so the skewer handle ‘points’ into the frame triangle.

A picture taken through the axle center-line - one of the bike itself, one of the bike off the trainer and another with the bike on the trainer.

You mention you can move the bike a little when you are not seated. You shouldn’t be able to do this. The bike should be solid within the trainer whether you are on or off the bike.

I’d say going by the pictures, you are correct in saying there is an issue here. A few more pictures and I’m confident we’ll help you sort this one.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #10

“The spirit level on the wheel rim would suggest the wheel is tilted to the left (your left when sitting on the bike)”

Yes, that is correct.

“If you are leaning to the right when seated, that would indicate the wheel is not sitting in the bike frame squarely.”

Sorry, perhaps my statement was a bit vague.  The bike is leaning to the left, so I feel like I’m leaning to the right to compensate.  In reality I’m probably sitting vertically, mostly, but my hips are not level because the seat is leaning left.  The axle is solidly in the frame and the wheel is square.  I’ll post a few more photos in the next day or so.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #11

@Paul

"The spirit level on the wheel rim would suggest the wheel is tilted to the left (your left when sitting on the bike)

If you are leaning to the right when seated, that would indicate the wheel is not sitting in the bike frame squarely."

Here are a few images that should clarify.

Trainer on concrete floor.

Level floor.

Spirit level referenced to the rim of the wheel.  (Photo from behind the bike.)

Spirit level referenced to the frame.  I can get away with this since my seat tube and top tube are the same diameter.  (Photo from in front of the bike.)  Both agree that the bike is leaning left.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #12

@Paul

“Can you upload a picture of the area where the skewer quick release handle is sitting in the trainer cup. Reverse the trainer cup so the skewer handle ‘points’ into the frame triangle.”

I’m a little limited in the angles that I can orient the quick release skewer handle because the dropout cups on this frame are quite deep.  But I think the following should show what you are after.

QR handle in forward orientation.

Bubble.

Now switch the QR.

QR points backwards.

Bubble with QR facing backwards.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #13

@Paul

“A picture taken through the axle center-line - one of the bike itself, one of the bike off the trainer and another with the bike on the trainer.”

I think the below is what you’re after…  If not, let me know.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #14

@Paul

“You mention you can move the bike a little when you are not seated. You shouldn’t be able to do this. The bike should be solid within the trainer whether you are on or off the bike.”

Can’t really capture this in images.  Video here:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijrfi0/9 

I’ve got my foot on the trainer to hold it still and I’m pulling on the seat with one hand.  This movement seems normal to me and of course isn’t an issue when sitting on the bike.

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #15

@Paul

To answer another question that might come up…  Here’s a photo of the level/vertical of the rear wheel with my lovely wife seated on the bike.

(Paul Graham) #16

Clearly the trainer/cycle combo is leaning left but even after enlarging your images, I cannot spot where the issue is <sigh>

One thing I still keep coming back to is the movement of the bike when mounted on the trainer.

Does the bike straighten up when moving the bike one way or another as you do in your Tinypic post? 

(C hris Strub) #17

To rule out a bent arm.  Is it possible to place the level on the Kickr tension axle.  

Like my sample.  Could stack dvd cases to bring it up past securing ring.  

(C hris Strub) #18

Ok.  Just looked at video.  Way too much movement.  Release tension.  Loosen big tension wheel.  Give that shaft a full turn to bring closer to center.  Re-tighten big tension wheel.  Apply handle pressure.  The left side connector is sloppy when loose.

Do this, after you rule out a bent arm.  :slight_smile:

(Bhaltair Gruamach) #19

@Chris

Not quite sure what is in the photo…  It’s about an inch wide on my computer screen.  Could you post a bigger image?

Thank you!

(C hris Strub) #20