Please Lower Subscription Fees During COVID-19 Pandemic

There’s a difference in terms of extra cost of making more physical goods and supporting more online users. :slight_smile: And Zwif, unlike toilet paper, has massive power in keeping people at home and well-being. Which is key to the “flattening the curve”.

If Zwift make it free then their income will be Zero, and everyone that work there will not get paid, and the servers won’t be able to run and then no one will be able to Zwift.

Because if Zwift say all new users are free then everyone will cancel their subscription and sign up as a “new” member so that they can also have free Zwift.

There is a lot more cost to start Zwifting that $15. Bike, trainer, PC or laptop or Telephone.

Zwift is free for kids under 16, those are the ones that are the hardest to keep active and with the most free time.

Have you seen this: A message to our community on COVID-19

3 Likes

To me Eric’s statement reads as “Our response to COVID-19? Double down on marketing!”.

2 Likes

I’d pay more than$15 a month gladly, to me the service is a bargain at this price. I bet for some users the $15 a month pays for itself in tire savings alone (direct drive users only of course)

Spoiler alert: if Zwift was financed by their subscriptions, the subprime mortgage crisis would pale.

Interesting, and I actually think that might be true in their business HQ location. What complicates things is that the customer base is international and multicultural, and not everybody lives in such a depressing, sad environment that is devoid of any hope. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m not throwing away 4 years of Zwifting and my Tron bike for a $15 per month saving for a few months! :smiley:

8 Likes

Funny. I just realized that I got this by email and didn’t even finish the lede because it yelled out “T&C update”. There’s another Zinsser scholarship waiting to happen.

So you are going to judge every company negatively that sells something and didn’t lower their price during the pandemic?

Have fun with your judgment…sounds like it’s going to consume most of your life going forward.

4 Likes

Netflix etc don’t charge per viewer, or per streaming device.
When gym memberships are no longer valid (family deal) it would be good for a family stuck at home to have fun competing on Zwift/Strava but with a normal family that gets way too expensive. Other companies have adapted in these times to help members cope. Come on Zwift, one router…one subscription.

2 Likes

How much research did you do?

And nothing stops two grown ups to share one subscription. If you worry about the integrity of your game stats, it’s not really a crisis.

2 Likes

When the “kids” are over 16 and on lockdown?

So you are going to judge every company negatively that sells something and didn’t lower their price during the pandemic?

If Zwift do nothing then I will be neutral towards them. Disappointed maybe, but as Daren said above I don’t have all the facts.

If they raised subscription fees I would be very very negative.

If they helped, even for a short period, even in a small way I would be positive.

Have fun with your judgment…sounds like it’s going to consume most of your life going forward.

And you with yours.

Then you have a tighter schedule. All the family support queries here, not only in the current context, amaze me to no end.

How about people who live alone, maybe already went into this situation with a depression disorder, and have even less prospects of resuming a normal life at some point than before.

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely! It’s would be incredibly cynical and exploitative for Zwift to raise prices right now.

Luckily, there are no signs that they intend to do so.

I do have sympathy with people who find themselves in a situation where they can’t afford Zwift at the moment. Not for the loss of Zwift itself, but because they’re in financial hardship, possibly having lost a job.

But overall I still regard Zwift as a luxury. If Zwift went away, I could still use my trainer. Either using the manufacturer’s own app on my phone, or one of the other cycling platforms. At least two of them are free.

Yes, you could say the social aspect of Zwift is important, but really how social is it? You don’t see real people. You don’t hear people. All you see are computer generated avatars and text chat. It’s social, but it’s also not the kind of contact people really need in isolated times.

Sunday was Mothering Sunday here in the UK. I couldn’t go and see my mum, but I phoned her. She was very happy I’d phoned, because she lamented that so much contact these days is SMS, Messenger, Whatsapp or email. Seeing faces and hearing voices are more important; and you won’t get that on Zwift per se.

There’s still the option of joining a Zwift-related (or other) Discord chat, or setting up some other videoconferencing system whereby people can exercise “with” each other; but Zwift doesn’t have to be the platform for that.

I also won’t be surprised if people set up accounts with fake dates of birth, pretending their young adult children are actually 12…

5 Likes

I dont think you should be defining what type of contact people need at these times. Also zwift clearly has high scocial value with a strong comunity and to try and downplay that is just wrong right now.

2 Likes

I’m basing that on advice I’ve read from experts in social behaviour in relation to this crisis. From waht I’ve seen, the feeling of isolation is best relieved by human contact - something recognisable as a human being; the sound of their voice, or even better video.

Text on a screen doesn’t really cut it.

However, it’s a while since I read it and I’ve little recollection of where I read it.

Much of the real community aspect of Zwift takes place on Facebook; that’s where we really get to know each other. Live streamers and YouTubers are another really great way of getting to know someone (to some extent) and feeling connected to them.

Frankly, for my own part I make almost no connection to random people I encounter during a Zwift session. Or if I do, it’s fleeting unless backed up by some outside-of-Zwift interaction afterwards.

But you’re right, everyone’s different. I should say it’s not what everyone needs, and doesn’t in itself go far enough for those people.

4 Likes

Speak for yourself. But it sure is where Facebook gets to know you. :joy:

7 Likes