Please improve Training Plan schedule flexibility

Look for the download button below each workout description:

I don’t have a download button. I see an “available in Zwift” button:
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 8.22.30 PM

Is there somewhere I have to register or something?

Ah, I see… the download is only available for Custom Workouts.

I’m trying to be able to re-ride some of the workouts in the Build Me Up Plan (trying a modification to medication to see if I can tell a difference). It doesn’t appear as though you can download the workouts that are available on Zwift (even though, as this thread makes VERY CLEAR" they’re hardly “available” on Zwift. Visible, yes, available, no.

Sorry for the snark, not directed at you, I know you’re just trying to help. Like most in this thread, I’m finding this inaccessibility really hard to swallow.

A bit of an update. I took one of the workouts and used https://zwofactory.com to recreate the workout.

It’s a pretty editor for recreating it, but a bit tedious. A quick look at the result shows that it’s a pretty simple XML file structure.

If you’re at all comfortable editing files (and particularly if you’re technical enough to understand XML), it turns out to be a good bit easier to just edit the xml files with a bit of cutting and pasting.

If you’re fairly tech savvy you can even use the debug console to transform the workout segments into xml comments that you can inject into the file to avoid the constant looking back and forth (which really helps accuracy).

here’s a quick snippet for that: (assume bba is a reference e to the element for the workout you want to create)
bba.getElementByClassName(“workoutlist”)[0].innerText.split(“\n”).map(t => “\n”).join()

Right now I’m dealing with some nerve damage with my hand so I need to limit my typing, but it looks like writing something to extract it from the page and create the .zwo file is not too terribly difficult.

GC Coaching recreated all the build me up plans so you should be able to download those and do them.

Gah!! Thanks… (just finished creating weeks 9-12 on my own, didn’t see these)

I’ll DL and give them a look, thx for pointer

Zwift training plans are great but lack overall flexibility. When enrolled in training plans, workouts are locked and only available after a certain amount of hours. I understand why this is the case, however workouts should be based on the “day” not “time”. We all have busy schedules so if I wake up and have time to workout, I need to be able to complete the training plan workout at that moment. Not ~3 hours later because Zwift has it locked. The times are arbitrary and unnecessarily restricting on people using the training plans. What if I have to be at work? The airport? Sleep? Live my life? etc.

I really hope the time-based lock on workouts can be reconsidered because it’s very frustrating and has zero flexibility like Garmin or Strava. As an example of improvement, it should just be set to “days” so when it hits midnight based on the users local time, it’s unlocked and then I can workout as it fits in my schedule that day.

List of possible improvements:

1. Locked workouts flexibility (as described above)
  2. Ability to “pause” training plan
  3. Ability to “reschedule” workout and the plan adjusts accordingly

If anyone agrees or has additional input - please vote and/or post so this gets visibility and Zwift will take the feedback here into consideration for further development.

10 Likes

I have the same problem. We need a button or option that lets you just do the workout. I won’t be much mire rested 4 hours from now when the workout release. I will be I. The middle of my day and unable to do it. This will cascade through the weekend and I will be off track for my plan.

I am likely to drop zwift because of this issue

1 Like

Try changing your device date. Was easy to do on my phone but you can only change the time zone on Apple TV so depending how far back or forward you want to go you might have to run Zwift through your phone or laptop instead for those workouts. Also going forward more than a few days showed some workouts as “expired” but they came back when I changed the date back. I haven’t tried faking the date and repeating a workout or jumping ahead and doing a locked one but maybe this Friday I’ll try it and report back.

3 Likes

Hi Adam, Quite a few of the build me up are available through the GC coaching, but some are missing. @Mike_Cargal are you manually building the workouts, or did you find a way to extract the flexible workouts from the Zwift program or local file structure etc? Apologies for my ignorance, I didn’t fully follow your post above.

I’m building them manually, but not with any of the visual builders (Zwift or zwofactory are the two I know of). I built out a workout using zwofactory that had one of every type of segment I needed and then looked at the resulting workout in a text editor. It turns out it’s a pretty simple XML format, so I did a little bit of JavaScript to convert the workout description sections into XML comments and then just used cut and paste in a text editor to build them out.

That may sound awfully technical and not at all simpler than the visual editors, but it’s simple to me as I’m a developer and i found the visual editors much more tedious. (they’re nice and I know they have cut & paste etc. so not taking anything away from them)

I’m toying with the idea of building out an editor that would allow a simple language for describing the workout in plain text, but it’ll be a while before I get to it, if I do follow through (have some nerve damage in right hand, so I have to limit typing time while it heals)

1 Like

Zwift, this is a perfectly reasonable, rational and logical request. Leave the strictness of our regiment up to us. Similar to the gradient difficulty slider or training bias control. For those who want rigidity, you’ve got it covered. For the rest of us who are trying our best but simply can’t work out on your terms, you are only administering consequences for prioritizing our genuine life commitments. I hope you come to realize how close this feature is to being great and make the necessary adjustment. Listen to your users.

8 Likes

another vote here for training flexibility, im trying to do the single track slayer but sometimes it doesn’t align with my work/social life which has meant i am missing workouts,pretty frustrating

4 Likes

This is really a critical feature request. Missing a workout by a day, but then having the ability to progress to the NEXT workout makes no sense. Let your users decide if they want to make-up a missed workout. It’s extremely frustrating to have something come up and not be able to shift the schedule by a day or two. Why so inflexible?

9 Likes

Wow - that’s 5h!tty. After all this time, this is still a thing? Seriously Zwift…

I agree with this thread - the lack of flexibility with the training plan timetable is annoying enough for me to look at Zwift alternatives.

The training plan I am currently following releases the new workouts at 11am on the day. Why that timing???

I want to be able to schedule the workouts that fit my plan for my week - not the other way round!

2 Likes

TrainerRoad has nailed this in their Calendar - you can push, pull or delete a week, move workouts, including taking one you’ve missed and doing it. In addition, all workouts are available inside or outside a plan, another serious limitation of Zwift for training.

Zwift training plan functionality (or lack thereof) is not an issue for me, I don’t use this set of features, but I do structured training in both cycling and running, and I can appreciate how lack of flexibility on a day and week basis on any training plan detracts from its usefulness. I’m switching days and weeks as a result of business travel, injuries, illness, weather, name it.

6 Likes

I’m new to Zwift, a single parent to a toddler so it’s rare I can go out on the road so bought the turbo to try and get some fitness back. I tried to join the beginner Zwift 101 plan on Saturday but learned I had to wait until Monday to start a training plan (Shame it doesn’t even say this in the Main Zwift app, I had to google to find out why some of the sessions were locked).

Today is Monday and my nearly 3 year old is having a rare nap so I thought great! I can start the plan now. Went to enrol and it says the first one isn’t available until 11pm tonight! Why 11pm? Is this a time zone issue? And I’ve now also learned what everyone is saying here, there is no flexibility on when to complete the sessions.

Really not a great start for a new subscriber and a busy parent who can’t always plan when a session can be fitted in. I wanted a bit more structure than just picking random rides. I really can’t understand why it has to be so inflexible. Great if your circumstances allow it but as so many here have written, not all of us have that luxury.

6 Likes

I would love to try TR’s new plan builder, now that all the events are canceled for the summer and I have two big races less than a month apart in October/November (assuming they don’t get canceled too). I could really use a feature like plan builder, but paying another $20 a month for an indoor cycling training program isn’t in the budget nor does it make sense to need more than one program to train. Try rationalizing it to my wife :rofl:

1 Like

This (delay and alteration in training timing) is killing me!
On Sunday it says Available Monday, Tuesday, Wed, etc.
Ride monday nights ride…get all dressed to ride Tuesdays and it says not available until Wed!!
Super frustrating.
Contacted Zwift…no response.

2 Likes