PC crashes when loading Makuri [November 2022] [1.31]

I had the same issue. Tried 3 times to complete stag 6, finally got on third time. Stage 4 was never completed because Zwift crashed. It mostly crashes half way through the route. Yesterday it crashed 2 minutes before the start. I was able to restart okay, but was on edge throughout the whole ride. I’ve never had problems until the last update. I have a new IPad Pro. I’ve sent logs before , but never heard back

I came back to Zwift after a long break and yesterday (first ride) Zwift crashed on Makuri Islands, today the same. Chose another world, worked.

Notable: The crash happens during the ride randomly and not whilst loading the map initially.
Hardware shouldn’t be an issue (16 GB Ram, i7-6700k, GTX 1080)

I’ve just sent the crash logs to logs(at)zwift(dot)com, hopefully a fix is avaliable soon, because from now on I just don’t bother joining Makuri Islands at all - pretty frustrating to see it crashing while I’m riding :frowning:

I gave up on it on laptops it takes ages to load if it ever does then keeps crashing , only way of me doing is on the phone , I only got a basic laptop , never had much issue till last couple of updates maybe my laptop not good enough but I am not buying one just for that , will probably just use Zwift on I pad from now on it is so much quicker

Should have just put an SSD in it for less than £15. But yeah, attempting to run a 3D game on woefully underpowered hardware isn’t advisable.

1 Like

What if the hardware shouldn’t be an issue, yet Makuri crashes? Bad luck? @Dave_ZPCMR

This latest game update has had tons of problems, I wouldn’t read too much into it. Very frustrating, but people need to pressure Zwift to fix these issues which weren’t present before.

I too am sufferying Makuri-only game crashes. Started a few days ago, pacer rides freezing after 1-3kms. I deleted the app, reinstalled it and tried again today. This time managed 21kms chasing Bernie before it froze and crashed. Only happens in Makuri - Zwift working fine otherwise.

1 Like

UPDATE December 7
Hey all - the fix for this is in Zwift game version 1.32.0, which just released. Please update at your earliest convenience. This fix specifically targets PC’s with lower RAM specs.

This bug was difficult to triage and fix because we were unable to reproduce it internally. We synthetically created circumstances that led to this crash on our test machines, and 1.32.0 resolved them. As noted in this thread - some Windows machines with 8GB did not crash, while others did.

We had one person report that installing 16GB RAM solved this issue.

Please let us know either way if this is fixed or not for you. Thanks.

I had 16 GB Ram all the time and had these crashes. Will check it out if the version 1.32.0 fixed it, however one short test ride might not be enough to find out.

Thanks for working on the fix.

UGH. I jumped the gun on this announcement, y’alls. This fix is coming in the 1.32.1 game patch, and I mistakenly thought it was ready for today’s 1.32.0. My apologies. this one’s on me.

4 Likes

they aren’t frame rates, he is looking at the Zwift equivalent of the BBC test card. His machine actually crashed in 2019 and the screen hasn’t changed yet… :rofl:

I can get Makuri islands to load on my ipad, but not laptop. Throws the entire computer off. Reboot and delete/download doesn’t fix it.

UPDATE December 15
For reals this time, everyone. Please update to Zwift game version 1.32.1. This fix specifically targets PC’s with lower RAM specs. What I said previously about the uncertainty for a 100% fix applies.

This bug was difficult to triage and fix because we were unable to reproduce it internally. We synthetically created circumstances that led to this crash on our test machines, and 1.32.0 resolved them. As noted in this thread - some Windows machines with 8GB did not crash, while others did.

We had one person report that installing 16GB RAM solved this issue.

Please let us know either way if this is fixed or not for you. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve always had 8GB of system RAM in my PC. It’s never failed to load Makuri, and never crashed on Makuri. This also applies to all the systems I’ve built since Makuri was launched, almost all with 8GB of system RAM. As far as I’m concerned, nobody needs to upgrade to 16GB of RAM for Zwift, and especially not as a means to overcome a random coding issue that wasn’t present before version 1.31.0.

1 Like

Dave - with the respect you’re due for the hundreds of PC’s you’ve built specifically for Zwift - you can not speak for other people’s PC configurations and expect theirs to behave like yours.

‘Hundreds’ :rofl:

No I can’t, but I know what your minimum specs are, and have been. It’s not acceptable to just say some people might need 16GB of RAM for it to not crash all of a sudden. It’s your game, you should know exactly what’s needed to run it.

4 Likes

Pc with 16gb RAM, i5-4570 …. Still crashing every f******* time! It is frustrating.
It worked perfectly before 1.31 and it is still crashing with 1.32.1!

Might need 32GB of RAM, who knows.

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Just tried it again with the updated version of Zwift on my - admittedly low-spec - Win10 machine and the result remains the same: Loading screen appears, never get to the map but instead Zwift crashes.
Guess I’ll continue to not be able to explore Zwifts second biggest world until I upgrade my setup to a bigger machine. Which sucks, given that it all works just fine in any world but Makuri Island. So overall motivation for the investment is mediocre at best