Pause during workout

(Julian Witor) #1

It would be very useful, if during a workout, you could pause Zwift to turn on the fan, use the bathroom, top up fluids, get a towel etc.  If you do this mid-workout now, you get a “fail” which seems a little harsh.

(Bastiaan Gaillard [HIK - C]) #2

This is already possible using the Zwift Mobile Link. That is an app for iOS and Android.

(Julian Witor) #3

THANKS AGAIN BASTIAN, IVE TRIED THAT, BUT THERE ARE 2 ISSUES.  WHEN I USE MOBILE LINK WHILST USING THE BLUETOOTH PART OF MY POWER SENSOR, THE GAME FREEZES (POWER GOES TO ZERO) THEN, WHEN I PAUSE I GET “FAILED” ON THAT TRAINING SEGMENT I WAS COMLETING WHEN I PRESSED PAUSE.

(Bastiaan Gaillard [HIK - C]) #4

This is currently the only way to pause a workout. There is no keyboard key for pausing a workout at the moment.

(Margaret Oliver) #5

I would love to see a keyboard pause. I don’t use the mobile app, because I prefer to use ANT+ connections. I had too many issue with Bluetooth. I already had to buy a $50 USB-c power adaptor for my MacBook because I need to plug into power for a ride over an hour and a half, and I also need to plug in my ANT+ to USB. I don’t really want to drain the life out of my phone just so I can run the mobile app. Being able to pause a workout is the only thing I’ve seen so far that I’d need from the mobile app. It’s really a drag to get a FAIL in a workout segment because I had to stop pedaling for 10 seconds in a 2:56 ride to go grab something.  

(Bastiaan Gaillard [HIK - C]) #6

When using the mobile app your phone must be on the same network as your pc/mac/idevice. You don’t need to connect through bluetooth.

Take a look here:

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205055065-Zwift-Mobile-Link?section=200993429

(Margaret Oliver) #7

Sorry - I wasn’t clear in my previous comment. I have the mobile app and can use it, I just don’t most of the time. The things it offers in addition to the regular app (power ups, actions, riders nearby) I don’t use much as I’m usually doing a workout. If I had to connect anything via Bluetooth I’d have to use it, though, but since I use ANT+ I don’t have to. I do long workouts in Zwift without my phone anywhere nearby; everything I need is in the app.

I’ve seen several posts here indicating that there can be problems getting the workout to resume after pausing using the mobile app. Having the phone running the app is just one more thing to set up and monitor during a ride I’d prefer to skip. It just seems that if the feature is in the mobile app, it should be straightforward to implement in the app itself. 

(Mark Weiss (AZ)) #8

I am running Zwift on a desktop (Apple) via ANT+ and use Mobile Link on my Android OS phone. Here is what I have worked out to successfully pause and resume during a workout. Pause only in a segment of at least 60 seconds. Pause the game while still pedaling at the called for cadence and power level. When back on the bike, begin pedaling to bring the power level to approximately what is called for in the current workout block. Initially the resistance will be high, then it will seem low, then OK. Watch the power graph to get to the proper color. Once there, choose resume and smoothly adjust cadence as appropriate. Do not suddenly stop pedaling to reduce power or the workout block will fail.

(Julian Witor) #9

Yes, I agree Margaret. I don’t have the physical/mental resources to make selections on my phone during a workout plus the battery consumption is inconvenient. A simple pause in the MacBook, without getting a fail would be most welcome.

(Mark Weiss (AZ)) #10

I have my phone mounted to my steering stem in a sweat protective case (Bikecase) making it very easily accessible. This also makes it very easy to change views, send Ride Ons, etc. Battery drain is not a problem, the phone will often fully recharge by the time that I am showered and dressed.

(Susan Ford (Forditude Racing)) #11

I need to pause to recalibrate my computrainer, and I do that multiple times during my warmup. Speaking of which, I still have to unplug it, plug it back in, and repair it to recalibrate. Please create a button!

(Ric Liang) #12

I don’t see a Pause button on the latest version of the iOS app. How can I pause a ride?

(... david (aka "setuid")) #13

@Ric: Those buttons only appear when you’re actively in Workout Mode. They won’t appear if you’re just riding or watching others ride.

(Susan Ford (Forditude Racing)) #14

I’ve started adding a “free ride” section to the beginning of my workouts, to allow me to recalibrate a couple of times without “failing” a section.

(Malcolm McPherson) #15

Tired of seeing Mobile Lilnk solutions for people who want to use only their PC. Fix the PC platform please Zwift HQ, you’re making plenty of money out of all now.

(... david (aka "setuid")) #16

Yes, you can absolutely pause (and resume) a workout you’ve already begun!

You can pause a workout already in progress by using the Zwift Mobile Link (ZML) application on your mobile device. When you want to pause, simply swipe over to the Action buttons page in ZML and hit the ‘Pause’ button you see there to pause your workout.

Note : this button will not be visible if you are not actively in Workout Mode.

You can use this option to get off the bike for a few moments to stretch, take a stretching break, grab refreshments, dash away for a quick bio break or just recover for a few minutes during a hard set of intervals. 

When you’re ready to resume your workout, simply hit the ‘Resume’ button in the application to resume. The Pause button and Resume button are the same button. They will toggle between both modes, depending on whether you’ve paused your workout, or are actively riding. 

You may also notice the two resistance buttons below the “Pause” and “Skip Block” buttons, that looks like this: 

These reistance buttons are only usable when you’re in a “Free Ride” section of your workout. You cannot modify or change resistance during a defined portion of your workout. This would change the nature of the workout, making it hard to rely upon for any trustworthy training data.

For example, if you were in the hardest interval of your workout and decided to lower the resistance, making the workout difficulty easier, the resulting workout data would not be usable when compared to other efforts or prior workouts where you did not change that resistance. 

Don’t forget, there are _plenty _of challenging workouts already built into Zwift, as well as many third-party workouts that the user community has contributed to Zwift. There’s even tools available to convert workouts from Sufferfest and other programs to Zwift workouts. See the following Links & Resources for more workouts, tools and guidance: 

Good luck and have a challenging workout! 

(... david (aka "setuid")) #17

http://kb.zwiftriders.com/zwift-pausing-workout

(Malcolm McPherson) #18

Mobile Link once again lol

(... david (aka "setuid")) #19

ZML is how you “control” Zwift, in many aspects. Think of it like the “remote control” or “head unit” for a Zwift session.

It’s how you Search for other riders, Follow, Flag, send Private messages. It’s how you Search for and Join events. It’s how you turn on the various course segments.

It’s also how you Pause a workout currently in progress.

If you don’t want to use ZML, that’s fine too. You just won’t be able to use those capabilities without it.

There’s nothing to “fix” in the PC platform related to these capabilities, unless you’re asking for a new feature to merge the remote control functions embedded in ZML today, with the desktop application (ZDA) in some fashion.

There’s a LOT of features in ZML that aren’t in ZDA today, and adding them (along with their associated hotkeys, for those not already taken up today by other desktop functions) is not a simple drop-in.

So for now, if you need to Pause, you use the supported method, ZML. If you don’t want to use that, then just don’t pause.

(François Trout) #20

The pause button works fine, the only issue is that it is replaced by turn buttons when approaching an intersection. I think it should be staying, and there are other less important buttons that could be sacrificed near an intersection.