Pack Dynamics Test Events (December 2022)

I thought the suggestion was to only apply this to the first rider to make the riders just behind get less draft. I think the draft from the second rider and behind should have draft from the front of the bike (in addition to what they get from the first rider)

The draft behind a single rider is almost 10m long so in a big group it won’t have any effect if it’s moved back…but in the first 2 rows it will have a big effect to slow down riders.

1 Like

I’ll will experiment with this as soon as I can. You guys really geek out on this :joy:

13 Likes

5 star drawing

It has to be all riders, there is no “first rider”.

Also I think that is fine if it tests OK, as per Gerrie’s follow-up drawing, but with much longer cones

That will have consequences for the whole draft cone. It will be interesting to test it out. The draft will be very different.

Draft will be the same but rider position will be different for max draft.

1 Like

Yeah needs testing, my gut feel is it will make little difference, but hopefully enough of a difference at the very front.

I also think this would be an improvement for TTTs, making it easier to hold position.

There will be a difference at the front that will bubble backward. A lot will be going on just behind the front. The second row will be the new first row :slight_smile:

Who knows, maybe the n-th order effects of this might even be enough to remove the need for autobraking altogether. Would like to see that version tested at some point as well…

6 Likes

Might be too soon to ask this, but when do we put the invoice in?

4 Likes

Maybe, hopefully will slow down the group…only test will tell. :joy:

1 Like

Hope so, and that would be more forgiving for riders when they do hit the front by mistake and help avoid them flying out the back or at least get back more easily if they do.

This should be possible but with a lot of coding.

The coding will need a variable for the draft position (front or Rear wheel) then a statement if the Draft benefit is zero (ie. Rider is in front) then the draft is at the rear wheel Else the draft is at the front wheel.

Is the benefit enough to justify this changes.

1 Like

Probably get paid in Drops though…

2 Likes

It is probably best to test out the solution that requires less effort first and see how it goes.

3 Likes

I’ll take it

1 Like

Sorry the cones weren’t meant to be accurate in size, just to show the impact of moving it back and forcing riders into the wind sooner.

If I can find a top down view of zwift draft I could draw it more accurately

Back to drawing board :rofl:

@Anders_Swanson
Well just to bring some more clarity into this. I went to check the code, and currently any kind of auto-braking due to coasting (power below 5w) only occurs if your player avatar is travelling below 27km/h. So in a race situation if you stop pedalling it is highly unlikely you are slowed down by more than just the effect of air & road drag. Packs riding below that speed only in soft group rides I think.

(don’t ask me why 27km/h)

8 Likes