No Resistance on Kickr until in the big gears

i’m on a new kickr 2020, and it does seem much harder to get to higher watts on flat roads than my kickr snap was.

i don’t think it’s as bad for me as the OP, but i have noticed that on my snap i’d ride at around 230-250 watts on flats, and on the kickr2020 i have to upshift into flats to get that high, and then downshift on hills to avoid bogging down, whereas on the snap i could hold a single gear. i can’t tell if this is just “direct drive vs wheel-on feel difference” or something weird about the kickr.

i was running trainer difficulty at 25% on the snap, and have bumped it up to 35-40% on the kickr, but it’s still noticeable.

for me, it’s not detracting from my experience, but my avg wattage over a ride is definitely lower since i moved to kickr from kickr snap. my wattage might actually be a bit higher on hills now, but it’s lower on flats.

Wheel on trainers are very prone to false readings due to the tire pressure and tire/roller pressure. I have a friend who started putting out big watts until he inflated his tire and then he was human again. Your direct drive unit is much more accurate and consistent.

Hi @Dan_L_Bigfoot_Endura

By any chance is your Kickr the latest Kickr 2020 model? You should be able to confirm by looking at the info in the Wahoo mobile app.