New York: A Month Later 🏙 (Poll Inside)

NYC needs a proper flat route. In the real world if the road kicks up suddenly for a short distance you can stand up on your bike and punch your way up the climb then resume pedalling normally but on a smart trainer you’re seated 98-100% of the time and when you go from 0% to 10% it is a way worse hit on the legs and back. Standing and pedalling on an indoor trainer is awkward. The steady climbs work well on smart trainers and flat routes work well but pedalling on 0% for 30 secs then running into a 8% or 10% incline that lasts like 5 seconds then goes back to 0% kinda sucks. I know they’re trying to do the whole “punchy climbs” thing but just give ppl an option in each map to do a true flat route. Like 12 km with 50m climbing. For those of us who like to do our own workout sessions, we need the option to pick a route with consistent resistance.

3 Likes

Surely setting the trainer difficulty slider to zero accomplishes this?

New York has a a couple of flatish routes. I think a smart move to attract more runners would be to add the New York Marathon route. Zwift could then promote this to the many people who come in from all over the world. This route is pretty flat with just a few bumps. Would make a great flat route for those want a flat route plus a great route for 40km TT’s.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the New York course, mainly because a great deal of artistic license has been applied and that’s what make it great. One thought came to mind though, especially thinking about comments on Innsbruck and NYC why do they have to be constructed as an accurate replica of those places? Zwift is a ‘game’ as well as a community so why not just give the artistic people full license to develop more courses that don’t exist anywhere and see what they come up with. Watopia Island is still fantastic, its big, its full of interesting aspects and I think these factors hold interest more than accurate replicas of courses (understanding there was a desire to replicate UCI courses for good reason). Just my 2pw.

Or you can just create a workout that has constant resistance.

Done.

I love NY, the undulations and the big climbs are very nice. Courses are great. The only thing I don’t like are the transparent roads up top…just like seeing the texture of the surfaces, not seeing through.

This type of workout, or setting the trainer difficulty to zero, addresses some of the issues of a hilly course, but it is not the same as a truly flat course. On the hills heavier riders still slow to a snail’s pace, and if you’re riding with a group the lighter riders disappear into the distance.

1 Like

Bhaltair - so you’re bothered about doing a workout and being passed by people?

Not at all.

After riding London and passing the different monuments I was thinking the NY route would be even better if we could riding through the streets of NY pass places like time square ride over the Brooklyn bridge and to the Statue of Liberty.

2 Likes

It’s almost all flat except that one climb

Thats a cool idea. I like it !

Great graphics but I’m afraid it makes me feel trapped in a city park rather than giving the virtual reality experience of Watopia where I can climb a mountain up to the snow, ride around a jungle, climb Alpe Du Zwift, cruise past a beach.
For me, NY really needs a route out to surrounding countryside or parks, I don’t want to ride city streets. I appreciate the work it took but why not listen to what everyone has asked for - for years - and expand Watopia rather than build replica city worlds? I’d love a rolling road around the cliffs looping round the base of Alpe De Zwift mountain.

4 Likes

Vote here:

I like New York new roads and maps are always nice. Some more much more longer routes inside city would be nice! But really as many others i would love to see world switching or a Zwift Mega World.

1 Like

Too few roads and too many people. I hear this is the reason we don’t get Innsbruck but then why do they shove NYC down out throats? I’d much rather ride Innsbruck.