More visible sprint/KOM start

Visibility of timed segment starts was the best thing I noticed when I tried RGT. Zwift should do the same.

2 Likes

So set it at 9 seconds. :man_shrugging: If this was indeed the best solution, then picking the exact number is a separate question. If a countdown timer would be popular and helpful, it’s not a huge problem that the exact eventual duration of the timer won’t be ideal for every rider. If you need 9 sec to get up to max speed, a 5 sec timer is still better than no timer.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek :upside_down_face:

I really don’t want to see a count down every time I go thru a segment. There is already so much warning about sprints coming that I really don’t think we need more. Every World have about 2 sprints that is not a lot to remember.

But if enough people want it then Zwift can put it on the radar. (They already change the start of the sprint once)

Sorry, missed the humor :slight_smile: Blame it on internetting.

I personally wouldn’t want another graphic or another sound either. But I wouldn’t mind a banner at the start, or even two big tall green flags on either side of the road. Wouldn’t have to be much taller than IRL road signs. The point about not being able to see the road in a bunch is a good one, and imo the point about being in the heat of the moment and forgetting the exact spot of the start is a good one too.

The point about needing to be up to speed when you hit the line is also spot-on, so the farther you can see the start line from, the better you can sprint. If I’m in the middle of an effort, the less I have to tax my brain the better. This isn’t a huge thing in the grand scheme of changes to be made, but it would seem both relatively simple (compared to something like changing pack dynamics) and non-intrusive if done tastefully.

5 Likes

:rofl:

This has been discussed at length. see this post. Sprint start kite marker - #9 by Gerrie_Delport_ODZ

Oh I know, I was just agreeing here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why are you so opposed to this suggestion @Gerrie_Delport_ODZ ? Even if you don’t need it, doesn’t mean other do need it. You are repeating the same arguments over and over, but doesn’t seem to get the point - In a bigger group, when you are close to the limit, you need all the help you can get. It should be a small graphics thing to make the markers higher.

3 Likes

I am really not opposed to the suggestion. If it is going to be better for Zwifters then why not.

But I need to challenge the request. By challenging the requests there are more and more specific information coming out.

It would be more constructive if you told us your suggestions for how this can be done better.

I don’t have an idea how it can be done better because I like the way it is currently.
For me it is currently like IRL sprint to the town line, the people that focus on the sprint know exactly at what house, banner or tree to start the sprint, the new people quickly learn where the sprints are and start to be competitive.

I think a bit of the Sprint craft is knowing where the sprint is and where to start your sprint.

1 Like

If the sprint start were as visible as a town limit sign, that would be an improvement over the low indicators that are often invisible when the road is crowded. I’d be happy with that.

2 Likes

What were the changes they made to the baseline/finish line ride for ZA last year and this year, didn’t they add some better sprint start markers? Just do that all the time… already a proven concept, done…

5 Likes

They put workout comment prompts on the screen announcing that sprints were coming. That seems like too much intrusion unless it’s optional. Something visual makes more sense to me. Just make the start line indicator tall enough or on the side of the road so you can see it when you’re in a pack.

Edit: OK I see what you’re talking about. That’s similar to what RGT does. Works for me but it doesn’t even need to be that big.

Zwift is not real life and it is not given that IRL is the best way to do it. Sprints is_not_ about knowing where the sprint starts in advance IMO. It is about timing, seeing the start and having the right speed when it starts, positioning in the group and then going all-in.

3 Likes

They probably have the graphical features in the game already. They could be optional for races, and ideal for points races.

This is where we disagree and that is fine. I like the idea of giving the person that pay attention and make the effort to learn the maps a bit of an edge.

It can give you an advantage if the sprint start is made easily hidden I race situations, but this is a game and it is easy to make it easily seen. This feels like an argument from IRL racing. Know the course etc. In Zwift we have so many metrics, map and graphs, a clear sprint start would fit just right in there.

1 Like

With my eye sight the only thing that would really help was if the whole sprint, or KOM, section was coloured differently in the on screen map.

1 Like