Clubs Update: March Recap

Hi all :wave:

It’s great to see some familiar faces on this page! For those I haven’t connected with, I work within the Content Programming team and have been supporting events & clubs over the past two years.

I’ve been working closely with Eddy to capture all of your feedback from beta through to launch.

I’ve read and logged every forum post/support ticket regarding Clubs which has been invaluable to help guide our development priorities and roadmap (thank you! :raised_hands:).

To help build an even stronger bridge between you and our internal team, I will be posting our monthly updates and be your main point of contact/resource to respond to any of your queries or follow up on your requests.

Eddy isn’t going anywhere, don’t worry! I’m just here to keep you more informed on our current status and progress.

To continue Eddy’s structure, we will carry on answering the following:

• What can you expect in the next release?
  • What is Zwift working on now?
  • What is the status of feedback the community provided?

What can you expect from the next release?

We have no new significant updates regarding clubs in this release. The team has been working on a completely revamped Clubs screen in ZC. We originally wanted this to be available in this release but could not meet the release timeline and will be available soon.

What is Zwift working on now?

• Ability to discover / search and join a club
  • Ability to share and join your club via web
  • Double draft mode
  • No draft mode
  • Rubberband mode
  • Making event only routes available
  • Reduce route image sizes during route selection
  • Abandon / delete a club
  • Group workouts

What is the status of feedback the community provided?

• Discovery: Early in the process
  • Backlog: It’s on our radar and some work has been done
  • In Progress: It’s actively being worked on
  • Done: Released

Community Feedback & Status
I’ve collated new & prior feedback into one master list to easily track progress every month

Club Management

• Ability to search and join a club - In Progress
  • Push notifications with club announcements - Backlog
  • Sharing a club via link on web - In Progress
  • Ability for non ZC users to join a club - In Progress
  • Ability to abandon / delete your club - In Progress
  • Links in club chat to be clickable - Discovery
  • Dedicated club chat channel - Discovery
  • Having more than 100 members in a club - In Progress
  • Ability to join more than 3 clubs - In Progress
  • See and customize time zones for clubs - Discovery
  • Dedicated sub groups or teams within clubs - Discovery

Club Events Settings

• Rubberbanding (keeping everyone together) mode - In Progress
  • Double draft mode - In Progress
  • Make event only routes available for club events - In Progress
  • Reduce the route image size on route selection - In Progress
  • Steering mode - Backlog
  • Fence mode - Backlog

Club Event Management

• Ability to configure more than 1 leader and sweeper for backups - Backlog
  • Remove subgroup text descriptions - Backlog
  • Creating recurring events - Backlog
  • Integration with Zwift Power for club created events - Discovery
  • Changing ride leader and sweeper at any time, even live during an event - Discovery
  • Ability to edit subgroup start times - Discovery
  • Ability to hide an event from club events feed - Discovery
  • Having a club “short name” - Discovery
  • Define specific jerseys in events - Discovery
  • Create an event series vs. single events - Discovery

Club Event Modes

• Group workout mode - In Progress
  • Using workout library in game to create group workouts - Discovery
  • Club training plans - Discovery
  • Custom club group workouts - Discovery
  • Create club races - Discovery
  • Team time trial event mode - Discovery
  • Chat with club members after event end in game - Discovery

Club Identity

• Custom club logo - Backlog
  • Using special characters in club name - Backlog
  • Club representation in game - Discovery
  • Club kits
    • Using existing kits - Discovery
    • New kit creation - Discovery
    • Kit unlock pathway - Discovery

New Club Features

• Internal club leaderboards - Discovery
  • Club race radio - Discovery

Bugs

• Event page crashes (Android) - Discovery
  • Pre-set club images are not always loading - Discovery
  • Event attendee list showing duplicates (iOS & Android) - Backlog
  • Changing routes doesn’t update in subgroup text description of the event (Android) - Backlog
  • All worlds are listed as Watopia for run templates (Android) - Backlog
  • Late join not working for club created events - Discovery

:point_up: Above are all of the common themes & requests we have gathered from our contact channels.

:question: If there is something you feel we have missed, give me a shout and I’ll review adding this to the master list.

:thread: If there are any unanswered threads you would like me to provide more info or investigate further please tag me.

Thanks all!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update.

The ability to edit events and club data via the website is a thing which is missing from your list. There is a recent thread about that (missing/removed) functionality.

2 Likes

And please bring back the ability to edit public events via the Companion App (i.e., make both Public and Private events editable the same way)

2 Likes

Excellent start! I would suggest more detail in the thread title. “March Update” doesn’t really let people know what you’re talking about. Something like “March Update for Club Functionality” or “Club Update for March”. Something that defines it beyond the “Update” because most of us are going to see it as some discussion about the regular monthly application update.

Thanks for engaging us in this. Truly appreciated.

3 Likes

How would you describe this functionality?

We currently create a meetup with keep together enabled then everyone pick their own workout or jut free ride, so the option to pick your own workout or not is important to us.

1 Like

@Ryan_Scannell Any update on making clubs available for users under the age of 16?

2 Likes

What about the suggestion to keep club members together in a race situation. Is it rejected?

1 Like

Hi @Ryan_Scannell !

Great to see these:

• Having more than 100 members in a club - In Progress
  • Rubberbanding (keeping everyone together) mode - In Progress
  • Group workout mode - In Progress
  • Double draft mode - In Progress
  • Make event only routes available for club events - In Progress

Looking forward to these! Hopefulle, by next winter season on the norther hemi these will be ready :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This transparent communication from Zwift is absolutely amazing. A shining example to the rest of Zwift on how to engage with the community.

Thank you!

7 Likes

This looks great. Looking forward to double draft, special event routes, and club workouts.

Meanwhile, our club members have been frustrated by a bug. Club member rides, including club events, are not regularly displaying under Club Activities. This is true even if a member has selected our club as the active club when initiating a ride. Further, missing activities is also true for members that only belong to one club. This is not true for all riders but is persistently true for some.

2 Likes

Noted, thanks @Jesper_ZwiftHacks!

I believe this was only temporary and users with public events should now have access as normal.

This can be accessed by using either:
https://www.zwift.com/events/promotor - direct landing page
https://www.zwift.com/events - click on ‘Manage my events’
https://www.zwift.com/feed - click on ‘Clubs’ section to the right above profile

:information_source: Added context for anyone trying to access the above :information_source:

The new clubs release uses the existing clubs infrastructure from the foundational clubs beta previously used to edit public events.

The workflow for both doesn’t integrate very well at the moment, so I would use the below rule of thumb until this is developed further:

Web - used to edit & manage public club events

ZC - used to create, edit & manage private club events

:+1:

2 Likes

Hi @MRBaldi_T-ZHR :wave:

Let me check to see if this is part of the long-term plan and get back to you.

For now it’s best to separate the two, but if you want to edit your public events on the move you can always access your club page within a browser on mobile using the below:

https://www.zwift.com/events/promotor

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thanks @Mark_Crane_TOG_G_65y, I’ve updated the thread title. Appreciate the feedback :pray:

3 Likes

Can we split this into two items.

1. Creation of new kits for clubs which I assume is what is meant by this
    and
  2. unlocking of existing club kits when joining/removal when leaving a club?

Do you know if anyone has actively working on point 2 as it would be a great way to control the unlocking of kits for club riders.

3 Likes

This seems pretty inefficient. Wouldn’t it make more sense to converge the two, especially considering available functionality, with the only difference being how the event is publicised?

Just seems like a lot more work on Zwift’s side and more confusion on the user’s side.

3 Likes

@Gerrie_Delport_ODZ the intended experience will be the same as a scheduled group workout currently available on the public events calendar, where all event participants ride/run the attached workout file.

Many others have used your method (meetup + keep together mode + select workout file) as a workaround to replicate a group workout experience.

Can I ask, if the option to pick your own workout isn’t important, what would be your expected experience from group workouts if implemented into clubs?

Thanks! :pray:

Not as far as I’m aware @Oliver_ZRace_Central , I’ll check in with Eddy to see if there are any updates. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Once ‘keep together mode’ or ‘rubberbanding’ is available as an event setting for clubs you will be able to toggle this ON/OFF if we do not specifically flag this to be unavailable for RACE event types. (still TBD)

Do you have a particular use case for this for races? @OleKristian :thought_balloon: :pray:

Agreed @Andras_Beck!

These features will give clubs more depth to create more varied content, please keep an eye out for updates over the coming months.