Man Ride Event

To qualify for the Man Ride kit, do you have to participate in any group ride from Oct 6, or do you have to complete one of the “Global Man Ride Day 2019” group rides?

I believe it has to be a “Global Man Ride Day” event, not just any event will qualify.

Here is a list of the rides: https://zwift.com/events/series/man-ride-2019/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=btn&utm_campaign=zwift_all_man_ride_announcement_join

Great. Thanks

1 Like

I emailed customer service about this ride.

While I think this is a great issue to highlight for both men and women alike, or man kind for that fact, struggle with mental health issues, this ride is only calling out the men to seek help for mental health issues. Customer service did inform me that this ride was shortened to “man ride day” from “human ride day” but the copy indicates that this mental health awareness is for men.

Excerpt: Millions of men live with mental illness. Every year, hundreds of thousands take their own lives. And the number of men who live with anxiety is just as sobering. For many, cycling softens their daily struggle​. And awareness helps men speak honestly and frankly about their mental health.

See landing page text here: https://zwift.com/events/series/man-ride-2019/

While I understand women can join this event, I think it would be a disservice to stir awareness for men only when according to the NIMH, men and women are seeing an increase in suicide rates and prevalence of mental health issues. This doesn’t even include those who do not choose to categorize themselves as a gender.

Customer service asked me to post recommendations to this forum and that they will start a women’s version of this event. I’m not calling for a separate event for women, because segmenting audiences is not ideal, I’m asking for simple copy updates to the marketing verbiage to be inclusive for all humans (like the original ride title stated).

Copy updates: Millions of people live with mental illness. Every year, hundreds of thousands take their own lives. And the number of humans who live with anxiety is just as sobering. For many, cycling softens their daily struggle​. And awareness helps people speak honestly and frankly about their mental health.

I wonder if Black Sheep Cycling pushed for “Man Ride Day”?

This ia not a new ride, It may be new to Zwift but it has been going on for some time.

*On Thursday 29th September 2016, 8 cyclists from Australia and 8 cyclists from the USA will embark on a 1000km journey over four days. There is one goal – to raise awareness for On Thursday 29th September 2016, 8 cyclists from Australia and 8 cyclists from the USA will embark on a 1000km journey over four days. There is one goal – to raise awareness for Men’s Mental Illness. How are we going to do that? By doing something crazy and talking about how we got here. How we got through life to this point, and some of the hurdles we’ve endured along the way.

To kick start this, I wanted to tell my story. It’s not one of heartache or tragedy. I have been very fortunate, and remain very fortunate because of the people in my life. However, I constantly walk that thin line between comfort and capitulation. Between being single-minded in my pursuit of whatever it is I am chasing to being completely lost when I don’t get there. Many of us experience this. It’s about time we stopped and made talking about it that little bit easier.. How are we going to do that? By doing something crazy and talking about how we got here. How we got through life to this point, and some of the hurdles we’ve endured along the way.*

It seem Zwift has teamed up with them and therefore called it the same thing.

1 Like

While I agree with @Mel_SJ that mental health issues should be highlighted for all people and genders, there is no harm in focusing on a sector of the population that has historically hidden their feelings to look “normal” to the rest of society and therefore are much more at risk.

NIMH states that “men are more likely to die by suicide than women”. According to the CDC 4x more men die by suicide than women. Men don’t ask for help, are embarrassed to seek mental health/therapy because they think they will look weak, and often don’t appear to be depressed because it can come through as anger.

3 Likes

The event is a tie in with this:

https://manride.blacksheepcycling.cc/

It makes sense they’d promote the same message as the event partners.

It’s specifically aimed at men’s mental health, largely because in the under 50 age group it’s the leading cause of death in men. (In the UK at least; for women it’s behind breast cancer and accidental poisoning).

I dare say Zwift may at some point do a Breast Cancer Awareness Day ride or similar, and I’d expect the copy to be around women’s health rather than the population in general, even though men can get breast cancer.

I don’t think there’s anything untoward in it myself.

In fact, Zwift have highlighted women in the past. https://zwift.com/events/series/zwift-womens-week-2017/ and https://zwift.com/events/series/zwift-womens-week/ were run in support of International Women’s Day. There may have been other things I’ve forgotten.

3 Likes

If that sector has a very bad history, other sectors, especially victims, might ever so slightly disagree.

FWIW, I am male and suffer from depressions, yet that title made me think nothing but “you gotta be f*cking kidding me”.

Come on, this isn’t the “White Power Ride”.

1 Like