Make the course gradient graph much more visible

I said that in another post a few weeks ago.
The gradient graph gets lost in the darkness of the background in Neokyo.

At this point I’d even welcome this one back and ditch the map since I pay more attention to the one on the companion app…

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 8.30.48 PM

1 Like

There are 8 different camera views that you can toggle between. Why not add 1)Profile and/or 2)Map view?

2 Likes

The whole APP and programm seems to be a constant WIP, updating the UI is one of the key points and probably one of the most powerful tools you could alter if it would have been implemented yet. Every damn GPS device on your road bike can do more **** than you can do on that digital playground.

Is it really so hard to alter the UI, i mean technically you need to programm it for dekstop, IoS and apple depending on the complexity and creativity in the source code.

It would be godsent to disable all those constant updates and alter all the tiny bits to the essentials, such as Watt and Gradient.

1 Like

Mmm - I actually think that I will have to shift to the Garmin Tacx Trainer app that I got a month trial for when I bought my Neo 2T… It’s just too annoying with the almost impossible to interpret gradient and no UI customization at all in Zwift. And they obviously completely ignore threads like this and think that everyone will love the new Scotland map… Garmin seems to be focusing on the Tacx app with new releases coming and it’s just so much better as a pure training app.

Too bad that almost everyone is using Zwift as it really is nice with the added motivation when some Norwegian guy passes you on the last climb and you get some motivation for pushing a bit harder :). The social part works great, group rides etc. But the core cycling app itself is really in the bottom of the list. And really - how hard would this be to do? At least something? The crappy height profile and mini map looks like it did 4 years ago. How many other apps have almost the same UI for years? Sigh…

While thinking about how strange it is that no effort at all seems to be spent on doing improvements of the height profile in Zwift, I went back to the start of this thread to look at old screenshots.

Look at post 5 from 2018 (five years ago). There is an image that looks almost exactly like it is today. So with hundreds of thousands of subscribers paying 15 EUR per month - and not an hour of development time has been spent on this part. Google for “Zwift height profile” and you will find tons of Reddit posts etc with people that seems to like almost everything about Zwift, accept this… There are even YouTube videos trying to explain the height profile and how to understand it.

Are there actually any product managers working at Zwift? The rumors say it was started by a group of savvy developers that had a cycling background. How can something as important as this for many indoor cyclists look exactly the same way for 5 years? The only kind of justification would be that it was a market leading implementation five years ago and everyone seemed to love it then…

It could naturally be that I am stupid and everyone thinks that the Zwift height profile is great, exactly as it has been the last five years. Never change that! :slight_smile:

What else happened in 2018? Prince Harry and Meghan Markle married. Feels like ages ago, now with the Netflix drama etc… But the 2018 height profile in Zwift remains.

1 Like

It is worse than you think - it used to be better and they made it worse!

4 Likes

It really would be good to get some kind of feedback from Zwift on this. Are there any plans to improve this feature request that is 4-5 years old with many votes? Talking Customer Engagement, when you have a feature request forum, some community manager is expected to interact with the customers that spend time writing proposals. It might be better to close it otherwise.

Some of us customers that are developers can maybe work for free a couple of evenings and just smack in some ApexCharts.js graph or similar if we are too lazy to render it ourselves… But I guess it’s product management where you need most help?

1 Like

I think their silence speaks volumes

3 Likes

Do they even look around at what the competition is doing? Wahoo’s RGT is light years better on this topic.

1 Like

only market share - if RGT start taking their customers then they’ll pay more attention i’d guess.

RGT recently even added these ginormous beginning-of-gradient (incline and distance) markers floating above the middle of the road (I think they may have replaced ones with a conventional road sign form factor providing the same info). Almost feels like they are trying to prove a point or something. (These ones I found enough of a distraction that I turned them off (oh yeah that’s another thing you still can’t do in Zwift, turn HUD elements on and off one by one…) pretty much immediately.)

A route profile at the bottom left showing progress would be great

Can’t second this enough, the elevation map is incomprehensible

6 Likes

And we still get the full VenTop gradient in most of France, which makes the rest of the gradient completely useless.

4 Likes

Wow, 5 years old request. Hope that’s the “surprise” that’s planned for the end of October. Most annoying thing so far.
To make it worse, you cannot even use ZwiftPower for Tour of Watopia 2023 since there are different routes for different categories… And ZP picks the one marked as “A”.

Have not used Zwift since before the summer… But now it’s getting cold here in Sweden so will go for a Zwift ride this evening. Looking forward to see what has happened with the important height profile the last months as there have been a bunch of releases…

How does “nothing” sound?
Because that’s what’s been done.

1 Like

Well, not technically nothing. They did do some work to make gradient more obvious, but only on the climb portals, they just didn’t apply it to other routes - so it’s not useful outside of the climb portals yet. Might be interesting for a view toggle that would convert the route map for any route to the gradient display in the climb portal.

Maybe that would help a bit.

This has been the number 1 most irritating aspect of the HUD for me. Even after 30 months, 7,000 miles and 42 levels, it still irritates me!