macOS Monterey 12.0.1 Zwift crashing

Zwift have emailed me following several exchanges about this issue to advise this is a known issues for certain devices on Monterey and the Dev team are working on a fix for it. I was advised to zwift using another device if I could. Luckily I have a Windows lap top that I can use. So hopefully a patch will be released soon… :crossed_fingers:

This workaround is what finally worked for me and my 2020 MacBook pro - THANK YOU! I had tried everything else that’s been suggested for the “freezes at 10:01 mark” problem and had previously resigned myself to using a much older and laggy macbook that could no longer update to the latest Monterey OS.

1 Like

I tried doing a reinstall multiple times before, about 2 weeks ago. Gave up and went to my Android. The latest reinstall has seemed to have fixed the 5 or 10 minute crash mark! Really appreciate it, I am sure it wasn’t an easy thing to track down.

EDIT: nevermind, it still crashed.

Zwift has crashed during rides 5 times since Yesteday (January 11).

First after 72 minutes. Then again today (January 12) only after 3 minutes. I’ve re-installed several times the App following what I’ve found online on the Zwift website and here.

Still, it crashed every time at random times (32 minutes, 17 minutes, 6 minutes, 27 minutes), on different worlds (London and Yorkshire) and on two different Internet connection (home Wifi and Phone Shared connection).

When it crashes, the screen freezes, I can’t Force Quit or do something else. It froze for a 1 minute or 2, then the computer reboots. No crash report, nothing.

When it crashes, I can save my ride (before it’s too late) via my iPhone (Zwift companion). If I don’t do it, I lose all my data. Even tho it appears on my Zwift profile, there’s a ride that I can’t access. So, no date, no way to share it to Strava.

I get anxious about doing a longer ride, there’s no point in doing a training when you end up wasting half of your time rebooting and trying to fix a bug.

I have a Macbook Pro 2020, 32go of ram, running on Monterey. What should I do?

1 Like

cancel the payments. Because zwift doesn´t do anything about it

2 Likes

I am having the exact same problem recently. Random crashes after approx. 40 min into the ride. The window freezes and I am back at the Mac login screen.
Just happened to me during TdZ Stage 2. It is very annoying as I always lose the data (and the progress towards the Tron bike).
2020 MacBook Pro running newest MacOS (12.1) and Zwift versions.
Please do something about it!

I have been having the same problem. Have submitted a ticket and crash reports to Zwift twice now.

Doesn’t look like the new Zwift release changes anything, based on the bug fix notes. Think I’ll be borrowing my other half’s iPad for a while until I hear it’s been fixed.

Very frustrating, considering it’s a high-end laptop with the latest OS. If only rolling back to Big Sur wasn’t such a massive and possibly risky undertaking.

Yes. Same here and waiting till over 1month for a bug fix.
I‘ve canceled my Membership as this Support is herrible overall. Using my iPhone for a couple some days was okay but not on a regular basis!

macOS Monterey seems to have some memory leaks which are causing WindowServer process to crash.

Google “macos monterey windowserver memory leak” to find out more.

I had 5 crashes yesterday while on a 400+ participants Tour de Zwift ride while today I did a group ride with ~300 participants and had no crashes.

I hope Apple fixes it soon.

Here is my hardware overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,2
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 512 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 1715.60.5.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10647.0.0,0)
OS Loader Version: 540.60.2~89

Hello everybody,
I’m facing the same issue with a 13inch MacBookPro with i5 processor and Mac OS Monterey 12.1.

During the ride my screen freezes and i promted the mac OS logIn, after logging in Zwift is closed. I get a window crash report. I send all those filese to Zwift with no answer yet. This is very frustrating because you never know when this is going to happen, it can be in long workout after 4h of riding or after 10 to 15 minutes.

I was already thinking of buying a new laptop. Right now i use a windows laptop to mitgate this issue but for me this can not be the long term solution.

cheers and ride on,
Chris

Hey everybody,

Seems like there ain’t no solution coming from Zwift anytime soon (they’re working on it, apparently).

My solution is easy and it worked : I downdgraded my mcOS to Catalina (I guess Big sur works too).

Since, it works fine like it used too.

I don’t need the extra stuff Apple put in Monterey anyway.

Instead of trying a bunch of frustrating stuff, spend your time reinstalling an older version of macos and you’ll be able to enjoy Zwift without anxiously anticipating a crash during a training or ride (I would have thrown my Macbook by the window if it had crashed while doing Alpe of Zwift.

Hello all, just wanted to update and let you know that this issue has been reported and our team is actively working on it. It seems like this only occurs on this one specific model of MacBook Pro (13" 2020), and only when running on macOS Monterey, so unfortunately at this time the only workaround is to downgrade your OS or use a different device.

I’ll post in this thread as soon as I have any updates. Thank you all for hanging in there.

2 Likes

Thanks Lauren for the feedback
I still have the issue with my Macbook Pro 16’’ 2019

I tried to see this on my older but upgraded Mac but it appears to work fine (12.1) and is very reliable.

I have Mac Pro 2010 5,1 with a Xeon X5690 3.46ghz, 32GB ECC Ram, 2TB Samsung SSD and Radeon RX580 8GB. Also using Opencore 0.7.5.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 9144.0.7.5.0
OS Loader Version: 540.80.2~5
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

I can’t see any memory leaks even after multiple hours of Zwift. Maybe it is just specific to the laptops. I also ran Zwift with the beta versions of Monterey 12.1 quite a lot before it was released to the public without any issues.

Interesting, I haven’t heard of this occurring on that model, but it may just be that more members happen to use the 13" MacBook Pro or something like that.

Do you know if you get the same crash log message saying that the WindowServer process crashed? Wondering if this issue is identical on your Mac model or if it might be a similar yet separate issue.

Hello,
No specific message, just a crash.
After restarting, I am sorry but the panic-full-*.ips message log doesn’t show more interesting information.
Maybe it can help, I also raise the issue when I run multiple Docker instances (I work in an IT company).
Another information: I already faced this issue with Big Sur OS, the only solution found was the downgrade to Catalina.

1 Like

I too I’m having this issue and it is not only associated to the MacBook air as I’m running a 2020 MacBook Pro. Very frustrating and needs fixing.

Any information on when the fix is coming?