macOS Monterey 12.0.1 Zwift crashing

They’re currently in the process of doing so and have been for several months. I would guess this hasn’t been rolled out to all Macs as yet (or some configurations have been missed in error) and that’s what they’ve now sorted. Hence the comment about the change being made at their end.

1 Like

Exactly. There’s much more to it than just the OS version. GPU hardware, firmware, Metal versions, etc also play a role.

Thank you, @shuji! I was just able to test this. I was able to successfully ride around and complete a tiny race. I really appreciate your help and the quick response.

1 Like

Same here. I just upgraded my mac to Monterey recently and it keeps crashing after 20+ min. Hope to be fixed soon but I doubt it especially when I see how the app is constructed …

What’s the hardware? Sounds like they might be able to flip a switch on their end that would fix it, depending on the details.

Hi Shuji - I have just found this thread after Zwift support said that my MacBook Pro does not meet requirements:

“After looking over your logs again, it looks like your computer isn’t currently meeting our minimum requirements. (GPU DEPRECATION INCOMING VENDOR, RENDERER: Intel(R) Iris™ Plus GraphicsIntel(R) Iris™ Plus Graphics)”.

I’m running a MacBook Pro 2020 13inch. Memory 16gb & Graphics intel iris plus.

When I open Zwift it opens as ‘ZwiftAppMetal’, but whenever I try racing it crashes/freezes in the pen or shortly after the race start.

Are there any further updates/actions I can take to fix this?

Many thanks.

Robert

Hi Shuji,

I did a 1 hour free ride today and I had no problems. So far so good - I will do some more this week and see how it goes. I appreciate your help. I was about to cancel my Zwift - perfect timing :+1:

Hi J - sorry to jump in on this but I seem to have had similar issues, and this is the only place I have found any reference to the Zwift App Metal icon (which my platform has started opening)
I have done a few rides and Zwift seems to generally run ok, however problems always seem to arise (freezing/crashing) whenever I do races - so that might be something worth testing?

Thanks Robert - I’ll try to fit in a race this week to test it out. ttt and ZRL are currently my main reasons for zwifting so it needs to be reliable for that.

Hi @Robert_Abbey_HHCC welcome to Zwift forums.
I checked on with the email conversation you had with my Support team colleagues.

1. The “ZwiftAppMetal” message you saw on the startup screen is because we enabled the Apple Metal graphics engine to run on Macs that have an Intel Iris graphic chip such as yours. So that message is expected. It’s part of our phased rollout of Metal to Apple devices that support it.

2. Even if the OS is up to date - it is possible that you may need to update the graphics driver specifically. My colleagues sent you a how-to. Did you have a chance to check your Mac? I mention this because there are a lot of models in the Intel Iris family of GPUs, and getting the specific Iris driver for macOS might make a big improvement.

At least you all have gotten Zwift to start. heh. I have a new account and I cannot get my MacBook running Monterey 12.5.1 to place nice with the app. I get a message box with this on it and no matter which I choose the app shuts down.

Zwift encountered the following Error Code 110 in file /Patcher.cpp at Line 843 and will close. If the problem persists, please contact Zwift Support. Would you like to try to launch Zwift anyway?

Have you already tried reinstalling? If that doesn’t help, contacting support sounds like the right move.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Egpu support is gone? (MacOS 12.5.1)

Shooj - thanks for the prompt response, it is much appreciated.
I have the latest versions of OS & Intel GPU driver (I updated everything when I started having issues last week - maybe that coincided with the phased roll out of Metal?)

As an update I attempted 4 rides yesterday;

Pace partner - 20 minutes - no issues.

Race 1 - frozen screen within 30 seconds after race starting (I noticed that Zwift was still operating as I could read power numbers & see movement on the companion app) - aborted

At this point I changed my resolution to Medium (720p) - not sure if that affects anything.

Race 2 - 37 minutes - completed - no issues :smiley:

Group ride - 51 minutes - completed - no issues

Overall things have improved somewhat, I just hope that the frozen incident was the exception rather than the norm.

Robert

I still have the same issue, thinking about going back to trainer road as Zwift is not bringing proper support…
Can it be linked to GPU overutilized?

@shooj Can you have a look at the screenshot that I posted a few months back? Is it normal this is using that much GPU?
I am using Zwift on a 10years old MacBook since I have this issues and it runs well on this antiquity…

Hi Lauren, I’m still having this issue. What’s the latest here, please?

Hi, did anyone find a solution to this problem? I’ve just had my MacBook Pro wiped clean to start again because of a fault that began with updating Zwift last week

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro running latest Montery 12.7.3 (that’s the latest IOS this model will take). A few days ago, a Zwift update downloaded once I’d logged in. Just as I started my ride, the Mac crashed. Error message telling me it was a Panic Media Boot with a Third Party Kernel Extension, with “Volume Hash Mismatch”. A quick Google showed others have had this with Swift too - recommended run First Aid from Recovery. Error now “Issue with memory module”

I tried several reboots - still crashing with Zwift, then became very unstable and difficult to boot up at all. Ran every recovery mode and diagnostic option I could get online from Apple. Appeared initially to be a hardware problem so took back to Apple Shop who have wiped it, tested it over 48 hours (‘stress testing’) and they found NO hardware issues whatsoever. Conclusion: IOS problem.

I’ve now got it back with re-installed IOS, but cannot just use TimeMachine as backup will have the same fault! I have to transfer all my stuff folder by folder

So, my dilemma is do I risk reinstalling Zwift and causing the same problem all over again?

deleted os and reinstalled. deleted Zwift. multiple times.

WTF

Not sure if this helps, but I have found that not going full screen for Zwift has stopped it freezing (I just drag the window corners as fast as possible instead).