Mac minimum specs?

(Jon Moore) #1

Hi

I have been trying to get the client running on my MacBook pro, but it takes forever to start and when it does its so slow its pretty much unusable.

I am assuming my specs are too low?:

15" MacBook Pro
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Cheers
Jon

(Aaron Deutsch - BMTR) #2

This game leans heavily on your graphics card. The bare minimum suggested specs are a graphics card with 1024MB of RAM. Not a lot of MacBook Pros have that, but some do.

(Christopher Pallotta) #3

For comparison, using the Mac app, Zwift runs fine on my MacBook Air which doesn’t even have a graphics card (uses Intel Graphics 5000). The cpu on your MacBook Pro is also more powerful than the one in my Air so I’m surprised it’s not running well for you. I noticed that the newest, top-level MacBook Pro has 2GB on the graphics card, though, so as Aaron pointed out, this may be the issue. How old is your MacBook Pro?

(Jon Moore) #4

I have one of the first unibody models from 2008!

I remembered this evening that this model has a dual GPU configuration so I switched it over to the higher performance setting (as opposed to low energy) and bingo I’m in!

1st Zwift ride accomplished. Only managed a few laps due to the time, but loved it :slight_smile:

Thanks to Aaron and Christopher for responding.

(Aaron Deutsch - BMTR) #5

Jon: Glad you made it in! Seems like Zwift is working pretty well on older kit. I’ve got a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2006 with an upgraded gaming card which I’ll be testing for giggles once I coax Yosemite on it.

(Ken O) #6

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and just got Zwift? What are you guys using to receive ANT+ or Bluetooth on your Macs? I have a new Ant+/BT Bontrager Duotrap sensor on my bike.

(Aaron Deutsch - BMTR) #7
  1. ANT+ USB dongle so computer can pair and receive the signal. This essentially lets the computer be your bike computer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CM381SQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. USB extension cable. You need this to get the dongle really close to your kit. If it’s not, you’ll likely experience dropouts in signal which is a real momentum killer. This link is for 6.5ft length which is good if your laptop is on the floor right in front of your bike. You’ll need a longer one if it’s on a table or further away: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3P1IGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Christopher Pallotta) #8

Ken, your Macbook will receive bluetooth on its own, but Zwift doesn’t work with bluetooth yet. You’ll need any ANT+ USB stick thst is USB 2.0 compatible. USB 1.0 sticks will not work. I’m using the Garmin stick. Also, if your computer will be more than a few feet away from your bike, you’ll probably want to get a USB 2.0 extension cable to bring the ANT stick closer and avoid signal dropouts.

(Ken O) #9

Thanks! I just ordered both.

(Simon Barry) #10

Hi i too just tried loading it up today for the first spin.

Looks fun but the framerate is too slow that i can’t really use it.

Macbook 2008 same spec as above. My model doesn’t seem to have the ability to improve the GPU.

Any ideas apart from a new lappy?

(Jon Moore) #11

Are you sure Simon? I think all models of that age have this option. Its under System Preferences > Energy Saver then choose the higher performance option.

(Simon Barry) #12

i’m sure. It just gives me options for time until sleep mode if on battery or plug.

(Aaron Deutsch - BMTR) #13

To further Jon’s note:

System Preferences -> Energy Saver

then…

make sure you’re on the ‘Power Adapter’ tab (also don’t try to play a game with the power adapter not plugged in, please)

then uncheck ‘Automatic graphics switching’

(Aaron Deutsch - BMTR) #14

This is how the setting looks on OS 10.10.2 Yosemite: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39105562/yosemite-graphics-switching.png

(_ Maglia Nera) #15

I have a MacBook (13", not the Macbook Pro) as well and I"m unable to make the switch between graphics settings in Sys Pref.  The specifics of my unit are as follows

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB and it’s a ‘late-2008’ 13" Aluminum unit

There is no option within ‘energy saver’ to switch between Graphics settings in the top-left of the window that opens…

Performance is incredibly slow…basically unuseable…

thanks,

(Juan Carlos (FastMonkey)) #16

Macbook Early 2008 with 24ghz and 

GeForce 8600M GT

So same here , any Ipad 3 Verison on the way ?? :frowning:

(Michael Henasey) #17

get a custom built gaming PC online.

for roughly $700 you can get a machine with 8GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 950.

that will run Zwift at 1080p at 30 FPS.

see the difference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9xqw3GpOog

(Michiel Pinarolo (Z)) #18

I have a Mac Mini 2010 with Radeon 6630 graphics with 256MB memory and Zwift runs fine in the medium setting. It is connected to my TV in the livingroom. Sure, graphics could be better but… Over my dead body will i bring a Windows PC (and it’s malware and virusses) into my home.

Anyone buying a computer today should consider the Mac Mini 2014. It disappears behind your tv and you can use it as a mediacenter / server as well.

But be cautious. The Mini could be updated within weeks from now. As soon as it lands i’ll upgrade.