M1 / Apple Silicon compatibility

M1 devices get High profile (detail), not Ultra. :wink: Resolution setting is not the same thing.

This will almost certainly be sorted on the next update, since right now you’re on Basic profile and 1440p resolution which isn’t a combination that’s meant to exist. I suspect they accidentally removed M1 from the list of High devices prior to the last update, then when it was flagged up by people on here, they’ve only added back the resolution choice rather than doing it properly.

2 Likes

Hey all. I am also thinking about getting a MacBook Air M1 to use for Zwift. I currently use an iPad Pro and I have had Bluetooth problems twice when a race is about to start. Annoying! I am excited to find out if and when Zwift will run native and if it is any better?

Out of interest what are the differences in details shown between the different graphics profiles? I can’t find a definition of them anywhere online.

You’re looking in the wrong places. :wink: Sent you a PM.

1 Like

Since this was not fixed in the Feb update, may require more advocacy lest it languishes in the oceans of bugs… :worried:

I bought the cheapest M1 MBP 13 I could find at Costco for $1200. This is unquestionably the best laptop I have ever owned, the performance is absolutely insane and this is coming from someone who has owned many high-spec Windows (Lenovo, Asus, Razer) gaming laptops as well as a good 4-5 MBP over the years.

Zwift works great, yes, but could look a lot better. Zwift needs to code this to the M1 silicon. In case those guys/gals don’t know, every new Mac going forward will be using Apple Silicon - there is no use in delaying their porting the code over. Will I hold my breath? LOL…not a chance. Will not be surprised if we are still discussing this in Feb 2022.

4 Likes

I am not sure if it works great anymore when looking better ( = gets Ultra profile)?
For Win PCs different GPUs get different profiles, but sometimes long time after being introduced…

I doubt there’s much “porting” to be done. Zwift has had ARM builds for all kinds of Apple devices for a long time, and for your typical XCode project there isn’t much to be done other than add a build target and press the build button. (Or more likely, use your regular build servers.) Ask QA to qualify, and then ship it. Not much novel here, mostly a matter of resource planning, scheduling work, and fixing that unexpected one-off out of the blue bug where some specific widget might think it should size itself for a small-screen iPhone or something.

2 Likes

Yea I was bummed when I updated the other day and still didn’t have the level of shadow detail I was hoping for…still just a small blur under the bike/rider.

2 Likes

The missing rider shadow bug is still not resolved after 2 update cycles…

It would be good to know if this is a bug or they’ve intentionally downgraded M1 devices to a custom profile without rider shadows.

2 Likes

Frame rates were no different when they were there! One would not have thought of flat, non-interactive blotches as a performance drain… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I have just got a mac mini M1.
The graphics performance is superb, however the bluetooth is not working with Zwift.
When I go into the pairing section it comes up as not being available.

It’s definitely on and connected to both bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
I updated the mini with the latest OS and downloaded Zwift from the site so it should be up to date.

Thanks

What devices aren’t connecting via Bluetooth?

It’s all working now, the big sur update switched off bluetooth permissions for Zwift!

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro 13 with the M1 Chip.

Will I have any problem running Zwift on it? And connecting my Tacx trainer (bluetooth) to it?

Thanks,

Has anyone else’s M1 Macbook started to get overly warm when using zwift? My macbook never used to heat up at all, but tonight it got quite warm to touch after only 5 mins.
This is what caused my old Intel Macbook to break, as the overclocking zwift made happen cooked the display board.
If it happens on my next ride, i’ll me moving off zwift onto an App that doesnt cause my macbook to get hot.

Hi James I have an M1 Air with the 8th graphic core and zwift is the only app I have that generates heat. Infrared thermometer shows about 39 degrees at the hottest area when I’ve been riding for an hour or so. Doesn’t seem to get any hotter though despite the lack of fan. Is the pro fan coming on?

Can i ask what configuration do you use and what resolution are you getting?

M1 devices get High profile at up to 1440p resolution (both being one tier from maximum). High should get rider shadows but this was broken at some point and I’m unsure if it’s been fixed yet.