Level 50+ update?

I would love to get into the thoughts of the deciders at Zwift, just to 1.) finally know what the reasoning is for not adding more levels for so long, and 2.) learn if they do intend to add any more ever, or whether they’ve given up on it as a bad idea.
Someone, somewhere has this information inside their noggin. It would be good of them to share it with us some time!

2 Likes

My opinion is that the levels were there from the very beginning of zwift when it was much much smaller and it wasn’t very forward thinking. They just set an arbitrary top number (originally 25) and didn’t think too much about what happens when people get there.

They also made a rod for their back by giving a little “prize” for reaching each level - a new jersey, frame, wheels etc - and so adding levels wasn’t as easy as just letting a number count upwards forever.

Although I think a lot of people would be happy enough with just a number that continued to increase forever.

5 Likes

There are other successful (AAA) games with level caps that stay fresh and relevant by adding different types of content. It wouldn’t be a pain-point if the game evolved in other ways.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking… maybe the level cap isn’t so horrible. I used to play Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast back in the day, and level 100 was the maximum. It was sort of a badge of honor (or perhaps depravity) to have that “Lv 100” by your name. Most people kept playing the game and focused instead on finding rare items, hanging out with their friends, and just enjoying the game in general.

I imagine most people’s motivation for getting on Zwift wasn’t to get to level 50. Most probably joined to lose weight, improve cycling fitness, or make indoor training enjoyable. Getting to level 50 doesn’t really change any of that. You can still lose weight, raise your FTP and ## minute power, improve segment times, rack up km traveled and meters climbed, and do whatever it is that keeps you coming back to Zwift while flexing on everyone in your level 50 jersey.

tl;dr - More levels would be nice but I won’t let it ruin Zwift for me when I get to 50.

4 Likes

Always nice with a new cap in some color

1 Like

Since I’ve hit level 50 I’ve seen a new homepage update (why? I don’t know) and a new world (makuri). I completed all route badges and still get +10xp as a power up (those are worthless to me). How about the development team work on levels 51-100 and make the game motivating again. Someone at zwift responded to my complaint saying I can compete in events and blah blah blah. Do they not realize that if I’m at lvl 50, I’ve been around zwift a while. More challenges would be nice as the 4 standard ones were completed a while ago. Rant done! It’s spring time to ride outside

2 Likes

none of the things you mention have anything to do with hitting level 50, the new home page is being rolled out so just coincidental timing, makuri has been around for quite a while now maye you just never zwifted when it was a guest world before.

Well I got to a 1 million XP before Level 51, next is 50,000km vs Lvl 51 :slight_smile:
1 million XP
(tbf, Bug Zapping, New Roads, features (hi Clubs) & New Roads are way more important)

1 Like

I would like to see zwift implement new levels and challenges. I have been stuck at level 50 for a while and completed all the 3 challenges. I need something to keep challenging me or else I would lose motivation.

5 Likes

+1 here. Been stuck at 50 for years now.

1 Like

Honestly I’d love to see a hard restart. Start a whole new system, everyone back to level 1, reorganize the game assets that actually help a rider progress as they unlock them.

1 Like

Yes! Please please please - been stuck at L50 for a loooong time now. It would really help motivation if XP actually meant something again.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned career mode before, get a rider up to level 50 then start a new rider and have to complete everything again. you could then have your own team of riders. Kinda like in Tony Hawk

I think it would be hard for the ZwiftHQ to add more items every time, so I think it would be better to release unlimited levels and put a star next to the name or somewhere for every 100 levels.

This makes me think of the old call of duty games where when you hit level 50 you can go back to zero for a hard-core mode, or you can stay at 50.

Unlimited levels whoa whoa whoa!!! Let’s get to level 51 first, this isn’t Pac-Man!

yeah, i was thinking more of tony hawk pro skater games where you could increase a skaters level and then start with another one from scratch if you got board.

1 Like

I’d also be much much happier with a “Prestige Mode” like in COD and other video games where you start back at 1, get to keep a few things, and get some kinda mark next to your name about how many times you’ve “prestiged”. The upper levels are just so slow to complete anyways, adding another 50 levels on top of that so you could get to 100 or something would just be 50 insanely slow levels to complete and offer hardly any satisfaction compared to being able to cruise through the first 30 levels again!

1 Like

Hmmm. Not sure if I am mis interpreting this but…

8 Likes

unbelievable… there is something going on… =)

2 Likes