L'Etape 2020 - iOS crash

Yes my IPhone X running IOS 13.5.1 was attached via Apple connector via HDMI to TV. Everything has been fine since the weekend, the only difference has been number of participants in group rides. The events that crashed 2000+

No, just standalone.

Yes I was using IPhone 11 running ios 13.something and using HDMI cable plugged into TV. I wasn’t alone on the course in fact the screen froze with me in a Peloton. I re-entered and it’s resumed my ride but this time I was not in the event nor on the same bike and in a standard orange jersey. I still have some people around me and I completely the course but sadly no result and no badge and no kit. Please help. Also want to do stage 2 on the weekend. Have emailed log files on Sunday already and hoping I don’t have the same issues.

My iPad crashed on finish also. I ended up in a tree when I resumed the ride. No badge for the Mt Route.

Hi all - we’ve been investigating the iOS crashes all week, and have an update. First - thanks to all those that sent log files. Collectively, they gave us a good sampling of data to examine. What we found verified our working theories:

1. The iOS 12 devices that crashed consistently exhibited Out of Memory (OOM) crashes.
    Short term (meaning for the L’Etape events over this weekend and next), the simplest workaround is to use a device with more RAM, such as a laptop, if you have one handy.

2. We also saw evidence of network disruptions in some of the log files. For everyone (including those on fiber connections), we suggest you reboot your modem, followed by your WiFi prior to minimize a risk of WiFi flakiness.

This weekend’s L’Etape events will be in France, on the Casse-Pattes route. It’s a beautiful ride and we hope you’ll join us (please update your game app before you ride!!).

• Doing any upcoming L’Etape event will unlock the 2020 jersey.
  • You will also get to keep the 2019 kit if you earned it last weekend.
  • If you experienced a game crash during a L’Etape event: we are working on a way to award you the correct kit without you having to report the crash on this thread or by emailing support. Please give us until next week, and we’ll update this thread as we make progress. Thanks all for your patience.

I rode L’Etape on iOS twice today. At 8am and 12noon on both occasions they crashed on the finish line. An event I did in between finished and saved ok. I managed to save the routes but the dotty socks I unlocked in the 8am event and the kit has not reached my garage. Any chance these can be added?
I have sent the log files
Regards
Pauline

[Letape_crash]

just had a MacOS crash at end of L’Etape stage 2 lap one at the finish banner. its the same thing as happened with lamb chop race one on the start banner.
Latest Mac software. latest MBP 16".

[Letape_crash]

Hi Zwift. As advised I’ve moved away from iPad mini 2 and using work laptop with windows and higher spec. Good news is worked fine at 8am today in France. Only thing it didn’t do was take the ride photo, just comes up as black rectangle. Not a big deal but wanted to feedback.

2 Likes

Same here and didn’t learn my lesson from last week when I crashed out at the beginning of the Eatpe Stage 1 (iPad air 12.4.6). new to Zwift and didn’t realise that this was a feature! This week at Stage 2, I crashed twice at the beginning (should have quit when ahead), pedalled furiously (at least as furious as a 69 year old’s legs will allow), crossed the finishing line only for it to crash again. There were problems saving the file but Zwift knows I did the route but not that I was in the Etape - can I do anything about this?

After crash out of stage one multiple times, I decided to try again this week, updated the app only for the exact same to time happen, the game crashing as I crossed the finish line. I have sent the log files to the support and log address so it will be appreciated if you can confirm that you have received the email. All background apps were closed and no power ups were being used.

I joined the ladies only ride for stage 2 hoping that 300 riders instead of 4000 would help prevent the problem. Unfortunately it crashed on the finish line again, which is really demotivating after a 46km ride. I don’t have another device to run Zwift on so hopefully something can be done as I can’t face the same thing happening after climbing Ventoux next week!

Just to add my experience, each etape ride I have done I have had issues.

I use the companion app (on android) to connect to my Bluetooth devices with zwift running on my Windows 10 laptop.

My wifi connection and Internet is strong and both devices in the same network.

Everything works when I free ride or workout, no drops when I’m in start pen (for 10 minutes)

As soon as ride starts within first 30 seconds the companion app starts dropping back to main screen, disconnecting Bluetooth so I just end up sitting still.

Once I managed to recover it by restarting companion, but like many end up totally adrift. Twice now I have had to give up. Will have to retry stage 2 again tomorrow.

Same issue for me, using an old(ish) ipad, crashed as soon as we left the start pens on Stage 2 this morning, then crashed again as soon as i crossed the line. Only once before has this happened (during the tour for all - was running on my laptop that time).

Not had any other issues using the ipad for the last few months… just feels like big rider numbers throws issues. If the issue is happening to people using different hardware… doesn’t that point to Zwift Servers being the issue and not the users hardware? just a thought…

@Steven_Barkess
Good to hear it worked fine with a higher spec laptop.

As far as the black screencap image: did you connect the laptop to a second monitor?

Crashed four or five times this am during the event using a relatively new iPad with plenty of memory free. Really frustrating and beginning to wonder whether time has come to end Zwift account and move over to another platform such as Rouvy or RGT as this is happening far too often and is massively detracting from overall experience. You get to a key spot in a workout or session and it breaks down. Has no sense.

@Brian_Shardlow

We’ve spent the past week examining specific log files from crashed sessions, and also digging deeper into our server data. The majority of L’Etape crashes happening on oldish iPads on iOS 12.4 is not a coincidence. Those logs we’ve examined from other OS and hardware point to different causes.

We’ve long had measures in place to accommodate low-spec devices. We will also take additional remedial steps in future game patches to allow low-spec devices to run better, but they’re not going be developed before the Virtual L’Etape events are over.

Bottom line: there are hardware limits on how far a tablet or phone can be pushed to run a graphics-intensive 3D game. We’ll continue to improve the game without downgrading the visual experience too much, but it is a high wire balancing act.

I completly understand that…its just from my experience… 2 ‘huge’ group rides, two different hardware set ups…same result… so if there are multiple causes, i guess that makes sense.

i get there are limits to how far you can push a tablet (espically older ones) and i’m definitely not complaining about the game play or graphics (especially that i accept my ipad wont have the best graphics compared to a high end pc/mac…its just a bit frustrating that it happens on this big events which i personally only have time to do the one event i sign up for so end up missing out on Kit/drops/route badges etc… and it never happens on a normal group ride/solo ride/race (in my experience at least).

New to Zwift and experienced my first system crash today during L’Etape stage 2. It froze at 18.8km and when it resumed I was back in my original kit and on my way up Mont Ventoux, not a great experience! Is this sort of thing common in Zwift, anything I can do to try and prevent it happening again?

Hi @Paul_Evans64

Welcome to the forum.

You can put your log file in zwiftalizer.com and look at your fps (frames per second). I would gess it went really low and the pc could not keep up.

2 Likes

Avoid large events.