Less worlds: Retire the UCI worlds

Depreciation might be a more apt term but feel we are going off topic.

1 Like

I was just sending Zwift a note on this very topic. Why do they offer only offer 3 Worlds at a time? I really love France, New York and the Makuri Islands and am not a fan of London, Richmond and Innsbruck. I have been riding with Zwift for over 5 years and would really like to have more variety when choosing my route. Since there are so many people Zwifting now, it seems to me that they could have more routes available and still have plenty of players on the road to keep it interesting.

2 Likes

You can ride any world you want!

2 Likes

Well, the point of Zwift is to ride surrounded by other people, not alone. In the Zwiftverse.

2 Likes

I believe you will not be alone - there are many using the hack. But not sure - I personally do not use it :grin:

Rode Makuri last night (just created a meet-up for myself) and it was busy enough that I didn’t ever feel alone but also not too busy. I think the point though is why not just open it up so we don’t have to use the hacks. If people want to be surrounded by others they’ll gravitate to the busier worlds/routes.

4 Likes

That might be the point to you but some people don’t like how busy it is.

3 Likes

Yeah, but who can be bothered with that? I can’t Just give me all the worlds to choose from in the UI.

4 Likes

Actually, Zwift are following up with that promise. They have added a city to Makuri Islands, and there are so many roads to nowhere that I think they will keep expanding, and I personally think that they could do with a few more Makuri Island type places. I love the way that mki is based on Japan, so it has a lot of Japanese style stuff, and it’s not a real place so Zwift can dress it up a bit

2 Likes

I disagree completely.

First, why do you suggest Zwift should put away some worlds to focus on others? It’s not like they are spending any time working on these old worlds anyway. The worlds are already made.

Second, I find the “real” courses mostly better than the fictional ones, because there’s just something about world design that is impossible to recreate for the needs of cycling. When you copy a real world course, you’re not designing the track, because Earth already did that for you, together with people who built that road.

Third, Zwift should wake up and make all of the worlds available by default. I understand they don’t want to have empty worlds, but there are more elegant ways to do that. They could just give XP and Drops multipliers for a few worlds each day or something like that.

6 Likes

Someone needs to change the title of this to fewer - it hurts my pedantry every time I see it.

12 Likes

Continuing the discussion from [Less worlds

I really like a lot of the worlds, but they some such as Richmond need expanding. I don’t think I have ever ridden there, and the reason being, It’s just too small! I would ride there a lot more if it was just a little bit bigger

I think the discussion at the MO is to get rid of the worlds courses and and concentrate on the likes of Japan Watopia and Austria.

Yeah, I tend to agree, all the invented courses (Watopia, France, Makuri) somehow manage to get on my nerves (even more so than the first word of the thread title). All too often I just seem to get the feeling that there’s just no way anybody would put a road there/align it like that. Neokyo is just on a whole other level in this respect, plus the grade separations make it extra confusing.

1 Like

I feel the same way, but as my wife likes to tell me, language evolves. She has a First Class honours degree in Linguistics, so I suppose she’s right. I hate the way people send “invites” now rather than invitations. But I’m an old man who doesn’t like change.

I guess it’s about what we learn as kids. I’m happy enough with “a substitute teacher” for example.

I used to say “people that” until someone pulled me up on it some 30 years ago. Now I say “people who”. But “people that” is very common these days.

And as for “whom”, few people even use that; and of those who do, several use it incorrectly.

In the end, all that really matters is that we’re understood. Now, I must go and scratch my itchy palms.

3 Likes

:thinking: You say that Richmond needs expanding, yet you’ve never ridden there?

For me it is a perfect recovery ride course, stick to the flats for a few laps, warm up nicely, have a go at the sprint a few times to fire up the legs. Then roll down the hill and climb back up. I love it when it’s on rotation on Monday’s after I’ve normally done a long real world ride the day before. Would I complain if they added some additional roads, no of course not. But it’s a decent option as it is.

All this talk about retiring places that you might not like is just a sign of a selfish attitude in my opinion. I don’t like some places very much (NY!), but I still ride there occasionally just for a change of scenery. Watopia basically includes everything that you need, in terms of the type of riding, all the time. The other two options are a nice to have. Makouri is going to be expanded a lot over the coming years and I love what they have done so far. I did the rooftop rendezvous route last night for the first time and that’s a great little training loop.

4 Likes

Yes and you have the overwhelming majority on your side . Request to expand and develop this UCI worlds gets lots of votes and support . This request gets next to none.

I get the need to vent every now and again .This one has run its course . It doesn’t need expanding or retiring :joy: , just needs any positive feature requests that might be lurking under the negativity extracted and created for everyone to get behind.

5 Likes

This title was deliberate; though the grammar is perhaps questionable, even incorrect. This is a reference to a book called The Paradox of Choice – Why More Is Less, which argues that rich choice can lead to decision paralysis and inaction; and that eliminating choices can greatly reduce anxiety.

2 Likes

Everyone happy :grin::joy:.

6 Likes

I personally think that Zwift should combine France and Paris like they did with country and city in London. This would then free up more space to have another world or two. I love the real worlds because they are based on something, but I also like having the option to ride somewhere that is different from everywhere else. I personally think that they should join a few of the worlds like Paris and France together and free up more space for other worlds. I also like the idea of a drop multiplying feature in three of the worlds for instance, but then the other worlds are still available to ride in if you want somewhere a bit quieter.

6 Likes