FIXED: Kurt Kinetic Trainer receiving 'No Signal' when pairing with Android Zwift Companion

I was using the latest Apple TV 4k as well. It worked for several days (during the 7 day trial period), but when I tried it after that, after the switch over to the regular membership, I get the “no signal” when I start to pedal. It may be a coincidence, but it seems to happen to others as well, it works right away, but after a so many days it does this. Is there anything that changes when you switch from the trial to the paid membership?

I mentioned this in another post, but it does work with the iphone app, you can then mirror from your phone to the apple tv, so you can get it to show on your tv screen that way.

1 Like

Glad the iPhone works! We’ve been investigating this issue for a good portion of time and will hopefully have a solution soon. I’m guessing you were using Zwift Companion on your iPhone when you ran Zwift on your Apple TV?

I tried it both ways Bluetooth on/off on my phone when trying to connect directly to Apple TV, it still generates the same NO SIGNAL message regardless. Obviously BT has to be on when running the companion app and mirroring. It seems like the Apple TV pairs with this trainer(Kinetic t-6400, which has both BT and ANT+), but the signal is not being recognized for some reason.

Same story here. Screen mirroring works but I want it to connect natively on the ATV. I also tried all Bluetooth devices off in the vecinity just to be sure there was no interference with the trainer connection to the Apple TV. Didn’t help. I spoke with someone at Kenetic, he recommended I try another app just to troubleshoot. I installed FullGaz and it also had connection issues. It has to be a BT connection issue between the trainer and the ATV. Wondering if Apple changed the BT protocol in the latest update they pushed (12.1). Interestingly my Wahoo heart rate monitor and cadence sensor connect to the ATV just fine. (FYI I know the ATV can only connect to 2 BT devices at a time so that’s not the issue. I don’t connect the cadence sensor when I use the trainer).

Regarding membership vs trial account, I don’t think that’s the issue. My kids also use (at least want to use) the trainer so we have two freshly paid and one trial accounts (family plan, please! I noticed FullGaz has it… wink. wink). I tried all accounts and they had the same no signal results. At a loss here until somebody changes some code. Oh I did leave another message for the Kenetic team on Monday but I haven’t heard back yet. I’ll let you all know what I here.

Maybe to better answer your question, I did run both at the same time once, the one on the iphone worked but on the Apple TV did not, it showed me in the game, but I was just stationary.

I’ve been having a similar issue where, after pairing a sensor to the Android Companion app while using Zwift on Apple TV, the paired sensor would immediately report “No Signal.” I finally made a breakthrough with my setup to get consistent pairings to the companion app. I don’t know how well it might apply to the Kurt Kinetic issue, but it might be worth taking a look. I wrote up my process here:

Thanks for the heads up Aaron! Quite an extensive tutorial, I’ll forward this over to the teams that are working on the issue.

@Steve_Bestul were you running the Companion app on your iPhone while running Zwift the Game on Apple TV? Not sure if I read that answer right.

When mirroring you can’t have the Zwift app running on the Apple TV. You only want the companion app running on your iphone and the trainer paired to that. Like this: KINETIC>>BLE>>IPHONE>>Screen Mirroring>>AppleTV. I hope that makes sense. I did a short ride tonight, and had only a couple of momentary screen freeze ups. As an added bonus, the Zwift game fits my TV screen better with this set up, then when it was running natively on Apple TV(it would trim the right side enough where you couldn’t see the grade).

This fix worked for me. I discovered that part of my issue was that I have 2 kinetic smart control units and both were paired to my iPad. When I was riding using my PC and an android companion app my trainer would drop connection with the android and form a connection with the iPad. I had to “forget” my trainer on the iPad to get it to work.

Apple TV Issue SOLVED! I called Apple tech support today and they got me all fixed up (love those guys!) You must completely reset the Apple TV to get the trainer to reconnect. Once you do that it’s as good as new. Apparently something got hung up with the trainer when the TVOS 12.1 update was installed automatically. The hardest part is just re-logging into all my apps. Super happy this is fixed!

Now Zwift team, if we could just have family plan pricing that be amazing! Cheers!

It seems the issue that is consistent across all versions of this bug, is that we are trying to connect to a “combined speed/cadence” sensor. (Just my 2 cents.)

Workaround works for me. Using an old Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and Bontrager Duotrap speed/cadence BLE over Zwift companion app.

iOS 12.1, Apple 4KTV, Kinetic Rock and Roll Control The reset did not work for me. After a mile, the connection seems to be lost, yet if I go to the setting to see the Bluetooth sensors, it’s connected. Patiently waiting for a fix.

Yeah unfortunately I only made it about a mile and half today before it died. I also tried it on a 4th gen AppleTV running 12.1 and it also does not work. I’m going to call Kinetic tomorrow for an update. I’ll keep you all posted.

I got an email from Steve at Kinetic. He said there was nothing they could do, since it is a Zwift interface problem.

1 Like

The AppleTV issue is not only with Zwift. I also had problems with Full Gaz.

@Vincent : can we have an anwer please ? One month with this problem !

I had the same issue Kris.

I’m having the same No Signal issue. I have a new KK T-6400 Road Machine Control with firmware version 1.3 and ATV 4K with latest updates.

Just renewed my ZWIFT subscription. No sense keeping it active until the issue is resolved!.

Russ

Had the very same problem, with the exact same trainer and Apple TV 4K. As suggested by Kris, if you didn’t see that post, Kris called Apple tech support for this issue. You must do a complete reset of your Apple TV. Go to: SETTINGS > SYSTEM > RESET. It also asked to download latest update during this process, I accepted that and completely reset the Apple TV. It takes quite a while, and you have to log in all of your information along with your Apple ID again. This seems to clear the issue when the latest Apple auto update pushed to your Apple TV. That fix worked for at least 2 of us, hopefully it solves your issue as well.

Steve