KICKR CORE ERG random power drops

I’ve only just seen this thread and I think its worth linking to mine (or vice versa) since I’ve been battling a similar issue - Bug: ERG mode has intermittent drops in resistance and reported power (Wahoo Kickr)

I get the exact same power drops in ERG mode on my two Kickrs (a v5 2021 and a v6 2022) (screenshot below)

Long story short, its a software/firmware bug in how it detects “chain tension” - if you pedal in a certain way the chain can go slack (ish) at parts of the pedal stroke and read as zero power, it seems. Wahoo have acknowledged the bug but refuse to devote development time to fixing it.

What’s doubly irritating is that even turning on the “power smoothing” in the Wahoo firmware… doesn’t smooth the power. And turning on the “3sec avg” in Zwift similarly… still shows the drops rather than smoothing them out as you might reasonably expect.

I’ve ordered some power meter pedals so that I can use them as the power source (and the Kickr as the “controllable” source) when in ERG mode, and I’m planning to test tomorrow whether that “fixes” it.

1 Like