Keeping people honest.with HR data

(Mick Neal INTENT - (C)) #1

I’ve been seeing more and more people riding without HR data. When I see crazy power numbers most of the time when I check they don’t have HR data. At least if you see someone with pro level power you can check their HR to see if it is actually realistic.

(Joe 'Twin Tubs'Walker PACK SWEEP) #2

Hi Michael…there maybe completely legitimate reasons why people cannot ride with a HR reading. I ,for one, wear a pacemaker , and therefore cannot ride with a HR monitor as the pacemaker outputs interfere with the signal and you cannot get a HR reading ( I’ve tried and it unfortunately just doesn’t work)…

(anon46748293) #3

I absolutely hate wearing HR monitor and never do be it indoor or riding outside. Any solutions?

(L Read) #4

We dont need no stinkin’ heart rate. There is no way to keep Zwift completely fair across all the equipment being used.

(Chris Sammartano) #5

My heart monitor has been drowning in sweat lately and not working.

(Mick Neal INTENT - (C)) #6

I have a friend who uses this one and it works great. You can wear it on your forearm or upper arm. See DCRainMaker’s site for in depth review. http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Rhythm-Heart-Monitor-Armband/dp/B00KWHQJJW

(Mick Neal INTENT - (C)) #7

The legit number of people not using HR is probably 0.01% and those are completely understandable. HR to Power ratio is a valuable metric, I like to use all my data options :wink: I’m just saying that if I see someone with pro level power and no HR I’m not going to consider them legit.

(J. L.) #8

This could create as many problems as it solves. While at an individual level, HR and power can provide some meaningful insight (like decoupling) it gets murky when trying to assess someone without more information. Besides the fact that Zwift is populated by a considerable age range, max HR varies wildly among even the Gods that Ride Among Us. There are many notable cases of top riders with obscenely low or high HR numbers (see the Tour pre-ride medical checkup). If someone is at the lower end of the spectrum – like my wife – the number will seem unreasonably low when she is spitting bolts and turning red. (Her resting HR, however, tells the rest of the story.) On this low end – based on a max HR – the difference between a talking pace and being chased by bigfoot is a significantly smaller span, leading one to believe that she is not authentically producing the power. Even the once lauded Conconi test was ostensibly discredited as a tool for assessing AT due to its lack of reliability. (In other words, people had different point where their HR went non-linear in relation to power). A little dated, but nonetheless relevant quote/reference from the NY Times:
(http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/health/maximum-heart-rate-theory-is-challenged.html?pagewanted=2)::slight_smile:

"Dr. Fritz Hagerman, an exercise physiologist at Ohio University, said he had learned from more than three decades of studying world class rowers that the whole idea of a formula to predict an individual’s maximum heart rate was ludicrous. Even sillier, he said, is the common notion that the heart rate is an indication of fitness.

Some people get blood to their muscles by pushing out large amounts every time their hearts contract, he said. Others accomplish the same thing by contracting their hearts at fast rates. As a result, Dr. Hagerman said, he has seen Olympic rowers in their 20’s with maximum heart rates of 220. And he has seen others on the same team and with the same ability, but who get blood to their tissues by pumping hard, with maximum rates of just 160.

‘‘The heart rate is probably the least important variable in comparing athletes,’’ Dr. Hagerman said…"

(Brian Batke) #9

I’ve been racing for 20 years and have not used HRM for the last 15 of them. It was not useful then, and is even less so now with the advent of power meters.

(Darren Linkin (True 2.5)) #10

You can see other people’s hr data?

(Mick Neal INTENT - (C)) #11

You can see what other people are doing yes, just click on their name in the list and you’ll get what they are seeing plus the bonus of the top 5 jersey listing window that doesn’t show when you are viewing yourself.