January Recap & February Update

Back with a monthly update for everyone. In my prior post, I am continuing with my promise to provide answers to the following 3 questions:

• What can you expect in the next release?
  • What is Zwift working on now?
  • What is the status on feedback the community provided?

I apologize if I missed any feedback that you may have posted.

What can you expect next release?

There will be a new release of ZC later this month and will include the following:

• Push notifications when a new club event is created
  • Push notifications when there is a new club chat
  • Notification settings to control both new notifications in ZC
  • Moderators can now create, edit, and delete events

What is Zwift working on now?

• Ability to discover and join a club
  • Double draft mode (please invite me to your badge hunting events!)
  • No draft mode
  • Rubberband mode
  • Making event only routes available
  • Reduce route image sizes during route selection
  • Abandon / delete a club

What is the status on feedback the community provided?

• Discovery: Early in the process
  • Backlog: It’s on our radar and some work has been done
  • In Progress: It’s actively being worked on
  • Done: Released

New Feedback and/or Status:

Club Event Discovery

• Include filter for Club events only - Discovery
  • Clear identification on events list that it’s a club event - Discovery
  • Shareable event calendar on web - Discovery

Club Event Settings

• Rubbberbanding (keeping everyone to gether) mode - Discovery → In Progress
  • Double draft mode - Backlog → In Progress

Club Management

• Push notifications with club events - In Progress → Done
  • Push notifications with club chat - In Progress → Done
  • Enable moderators to create, edit and delete club events - In Progress → Done
  • Having a club “short name” - Discovery

Club Event Management

• Define specific jerseys in events - Discovery
  • Create an event series vs. single events - Discovery

New Club Features

• Internal club leaderboards - Discovery

Prior Feedback

Club Management

• Ability to search and join a club - In Progress
  • Push notifications with club announcements - Backlog
  • Sharing a club via link on web - Backlog
  • Ability for non ZC users to join a club - Backlog
  • Links in club chat to be clickable - Discovery
  • Dedicated club chat channel - Discovery
  • Having more than 100 members in a club - Discovery
  • See and customize time zones for clubs - Discovery
  • Club race radio - Discovery

Club Events Settings

• Make event only routes available for club events - In Progress
  • Reduce the route image size on route selection - In Progress
  • Steering mode - Backlog
  • Fence mode - Backlog

Club Event Management

• Ability to configure more than 1 leader and sweeper for backups - Backlog
  • Remove subgroup text descriptions - Backlog
  • Creating recurring events - Backlog
  • Integration with Zwift Power for club created events - Discovery
  • Changing ride leader and sweeper at any time, even live during an event - Discovery
  • Ability to edit subgroup start times - Discovery
  • Ability to hide an event from club events feed - Discovery

Club Event Modes

• Group workout mode - Backlog
  • Using workout library in game to create group workouts - Discovery
  • Club training plans - Discovery
  • Custom club group workouts - Discovery
  • Create club races - Discovery
  • Team time trial event mode - Discovery
  • Chat with club members after event end in game - Discovery

Club Identity

• Custom Club logo - Backlog
  • Using special characters in club name - Backlog
  • Club representation in game - Discovery
  • Club kits - Discovery

Bugs

• Event page crashes (Android) - Discovery
  • Pre-set club images are not always loading - Discovery
  • Event attendee list showing duplicates (iOS & Android) - Backlog
  • Changing routes doesn’t update in subgroup text description of the event (Android) - Backlog
  • All worlds are listed as Watopia for run templates (Android) - Backlog

Great update/comms as ever, much appreciated.

1 Like

Big thanks to Zwift HQ for listening to feedback about Rubberbanding in Club events and bumping it up from discovery to “in progress”.

Also a shoutout to @Eddy_Lee for consistent, clear communication on what Zwift’s doing. I think - in past - the userbase has sometimes felt like they’re in the dark but your updates are on-point - kudos.

4 Likes

Great to see the detailed status update :+1:

Moderators to create events and ZC event/chat notification are nice additions.

Rubberbanding and group workout would be a welcome update as well!

Great recap!
As regards rubber-banding club rides, maybe this isn’t in your purview, but can you check that Club rides wouldn’t be subject to the (as-yet) unaddressed speed bug that occurs in rubber-banded Meetups?
https://forums.zwift.com/t/meetup-speeds-incorrect-with-small-groups-46km-h-or-28mph/444973/61

We’re doing some tests on this and would note if this did/did not happen.

1 Like

Great stuff @Eddy_Lee , and a shining example of how to communicate with the Zwift community. If only your other colleagues would follow your lead.

1 Like

Ahem. This bug has existed for literally years in Zwift and hasn’t been fixed. So it’s something of a stretch to suggest that it would definitely be found in Zwift’s testing, given that it was presumably not found in any testing that Zwift have done priory to Clubs. It’s not a bug that happens every single time.

Fair enough! We do have it raised internally, I’m just not sure what the progress is.

What I was saying is that we were doing some testing on group rides that include rubber banding - this is not the same as is used on meet-ups - there’s basically 3 types of rubber banding, those on workouts, those on meet-ups and those on group rides. The performance of rubber banding on group rides is currently the least preferable because it doesn’t feel right but we’re trying to make some progress here, hence the tests!

2 Likes

There hasn’t to date (right?) been any offered rubber-banded group rides. Or have there been…? If this is an all-new developed capability, could rubber-banding eventually then be offered (organizer’s preference) in non-club standard Zwift rides?

I believe he means the group workouts (but correct me if I’m wrong here). For example Activitus 2hrs group workouts are rubberbanded.

It exists but doesn’t work well, so isn’t offered.

1 Like

Hello

After having one Club Ride i got feedback about the link you can send out for zwifters to see the event. Its not possibly to open directly and even if I posted it on my comment site after riding own sessions or at meetups; too cumbersome. It is also to cumbersome to post it out when riding on public comments to make everyone see it.

You have only two choices when creating a event.

1. Only club members can join
  2. Anyone with the link can join

I miss a oppurtunity 3. Anyone on Zwift can join
I got a feedback from one guy at my first Club ride that my first Clubride was not visible on events. With a oppurtunity 3: Anyone on Zwift can join. I can create events and the first rides will be visible so I can promote the Club and make everyone that uses Zwift have the possibiliy to try it out and decide if they want to joyn or not.This is because I dont want to exclude anyone or make them feel unwelcome. If someone behaves bad its better to have the possibility to throw them out. For my part that have first started a Club here on Zwift its important to have the possibility to promote The Club in the start for the users on Zwift.

Another feedback is about inviting users into the Club. I read here you invite users under Roster. I have only possibility to invite 50 people. I think it should be more. If 100 want to be a part of club there should be possibility for them to be in the Club. If 500 want to be in the club its should also be a possibility for it. I follow about 100 people and have over 200 followes and i feel if cant send them all invitasion to Iron Blood Club. It feels completely wrong (don’t want to exclude anyone) They can deside them selves if they want to be part of Iron Blood or not I think.

Still looking forward for the possibility to use the logo i created for Iron Blood club and design kits for the Club riders who will attend the Zwift events in the future, something I still miss. I hope you find a solution for that.

Hope I made myself understood even though my English is not the best. Something I have had an excellent opportunity to develop here at Zwift.

+1 Rubber banding. Sorely needed.
+1 Workout mode
+1 “Event only view” should be a settings to turn on/off, like for meetups.

1 Like

Just noticed this in with the latest ZC update, thank you.

Suggestion.

My club uses a tag so that all our events show up using that tag. It would be great if club events allowed for adding a tag so our club event would be added to that list.

Thanks!

@Eddy_Lee is the club kits still in discovery?

I assume this is to allow clubs to create a kit which is a great idea but the feature I’m more interested in his how in game kits could be assigned to club members.

I’m seeing quite a few clubs getting kits but the allocation to riders sounds pretty painful of a one off spreadsheet filling process then tricky to add new riders.

It would be great if the jersey unlock could be linked to club membership and removed once you leave the club. That would save both clubs and zwift support a massive amount of time.

ps. any news on what is next release?

Thanks

2 Likes

I can (and do) create private events with Jersey Unlock turned on in these scenarios. Doesn’t answer your feature request, but is an option to consider.

1 Like

Good to see this is on the list.

@Eddy_Lee any possibility until this is implemented, could the calendar be extended a little bit more (currently it is 4 weeks)?

I was looking to set up a 4 events series over April but limited to just the first 2. Not a big issue, just though I would ask, pretty sure you already have loads to do.

Cheers,
Andy.