Issues On First Group Ride

Hey All,
Took part in my first group ride/workout today & had a few issues which i’m hoping you can help with.
All was fine initially although i did notice that my wattage seemed to be fixed at 1.2 no matter what i did when other riders was much higher. I presume in a workout ride that the wattages may be fixed in the different sectors of the ride but the fact that other riders were pushing higher watts threw me?
Next issue was the power just dropped out & i was stranded so i disconnected/reconnected bike & got going again but it was too late to catch the group & the wattage issue continued? Any help/advice appreciated, i know it will be a learning curve. :grinning: :grinning:

I can only answer the fixed wattage question. Your wattage is a percentage of your FTP. Other riders wattage is a percentage of their FTP. As everyone has a different FTP you should expect everyone’s w/kg targets to be different.

2 Likes

Ah ok, i have yet to complete an FTP test so that may be the issue there?

Hey All,
Took part in my first group ride/workout today & had a few issues which i’m hoping you can help with.
All was fine initially although i did notice that my wattage seemed to be fixed at 1.2 no matter what i did when other riders was much higher. I presume in a workout ride that the wattages may be fixed in the different sectors of the ride but the fact that other riders were pushing higher watts threw me?
Next issue was the power just dropped out & i was stranded so i disconnected/reconnected bike & got going again but it was too late to catch the group & the wattage issue continued? Any help/advice appreciated, i know it will be a learning curve -:slight_smile:

1. don’t bother with workouts until you have done an FTP test - the difficulty is entirely based on your FTP value.

2. whatever you are using to connect your trainer to device, make sure the device/dongle is as close as possible to trainer, ideally <1 metre, to prevent disconnects.

might wanna include more info as to your setup, what trainer you are using and what device you are connecting it to etc.

1 Like

I’m using a Wahoo Kickr bike, Wahoo tickr HR, Apple Tv 4k which is running through a Samsung TV & the set up is all withing less than 1 metre.

any issues with Kickr bike just go straight to Wahoo Support - if I paid over a grand for something and it wasn’t working properly I’d be pretty miffed, they should be able to sort you out though.
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us

might wanna make sure everything is working properly in free rides / solo rides before experimenting in group rides. group workouts will often have a “keep everyone together” setting enabled, but not always. workouts are rides with pre-programmed target power outputs (based on a % of your FTP) so they are designed to hold you at a set power, but if your FTP has not been determined or entered correctly then the workouts won’t have the right power for you.

time to do a ramp test ;D (make sure you have fresh legs, and just keep spinning til you can spin no more…!)