iOS Companion app 3.29.0 (1158) issues [SOLVED]

I was running fine until the ZCA updated on 10/26. I only use Zwift when I can’t do a real ride.

My setup is Win 11, Wahoo KICKR, iOS 15.1 running ZCA. This setup is broken now since I can’t connect on the ZCA on any device. (2 different iPhones and an iPad running ZCA)

I can run Zwift as an app on the iPad as a workaround.

Fix the Companion App!!!

So there are a couple of things to unwrap here.

1. Restoring from backup: The way apple backups work is they backup settings, and photos. They do not backup the apps. When you restore from the iCloud, the setting, get restored and then the apps are reinstalled from the app store. So if the issue is with the 3.29.0 version of Companion, then the issue comes back…
  2. iOS vs iPadOS. Apple forked (split) the iPhone and iPad OS’s a couple of years ago. They are no longer exactly the same.

There are a number of reports here. I have seen mostly iPad user affected here. That being said I have seen one or two reports of iPhone and Android tablet not working. I personally think this is an iPad issue, but support has not said they have or have not reporduced the issue in the lab, and under what circumstances.

I don’t think that they can easily revert what version that is in the app store either. They must fix the issue and then submit the fix to Apple. After Apple approves the update it can be downloaded via the app store. We are stuck until they fix the issue. I just wish the QA team had caught some of the latest issue before releasing the updates to us the end users.

1 Like

I am seeing the Companion App is not working on either iPad or iOS

Spoke with support last week, they are aware of the problem. He told me it will be fixed soon. I give them this week, if nothing happen i move back to Fulgaz.

Exactly this issue
Zwift running on windows 11 PC
Companion app on ipad issue- Companion app drops game map after 2seconds (on same network etc)
Companion app works fine on phone

An Apple review typically takes less than 24 hours and after approval it takes about an hour for the app to get to the store (in the US).

Same issue here!
Zwift on Win11
C. App on iphone XS works fine
C. App on ipad starts and closes every time?
Latest software on all devices and same network also!

2 Likes

Same issue here. Using Apple TV to run Zwift the game, using iPad for Zwift Companion and the map slides up into view for 2 seconds, then back out of view again. Using Zwift Companion on my iPhone (8), no problem. I tried all the usual fixes - reinstalled everything everywhere, restarted, fired things up in different order, airplane mode, bluetooth on/off, etc, etc.

Turning off Private Address in the WiFi connection on my iPad setting worked for me. I am not sure if there is a more granular way of disabling the setting.

until it doesnt

I have private address turned off for my home wireless network on my iPad. I’ll try flipping it on and off to see if it makes a difference.

Using iphone with screen shared to old ATV and companion app on Ipad. All apps updated to latest software and IOS 15.1. Companion loads map until circle full and crash. Zwift still showing connected next to my name. Not using apple watch. Everything worked perfectly until those updates were completed.

Flipping privacy mode doesn’t fix my issues.

This is definitely a zwift issue. I hate to resetting my iPad back to factory settings, but I think that’s the only way to get companion working properly again until Zwift figures this out…

Hi everyone - we appreciate you self-reporting what device you’re using to run the Companion app, and also what you’re using to run the game app. Please continue to report those.

We are investigating the variables (there’s a lot to unpack here), and we’ll keep you updated here as we learn more.

3 Likes

Removed the App from the iPad. via setting / storage. Then re-installed the app from the app store.
This did not fix the issue. This appears to be related to the 3.29.0 update.

1 Like

Add me to the list. Just updated all my Apple gear to latest iOS. Zwift companion flashes the map and goes back to Home Screen.

1 Like

Desktop win 10, Ipad pro (IOS 15.1) don’t work. Iphone (I.O.S 15.1) work as supposed with a course. When doing a workout it’s the same ■■■■ as the ipad.

Desktop Windows 10, Ipad Pro (IOS 15.1) Doesn’t work, Iphone (IOS 15.1) works. Always worked on the iPAD in the past.

Hi Shuji , as you say there’s a lot to unpack here, but can you throw any light onto wether or not the development people at Zwift have been able to actually replicate the issue for themselves ahead of working out a fix.

As an Apple TV user, not having the functioning companion app is a huge inconvenience not least because of the frustrations of using the Apple TV remote in game to try and change views/bias etc !

Cheers

It’s an iPad problem. Companion App working with iPhone but not iPad. Roll back update or fix please. Problem exists with ATV and PC running the main zwift app.