Introducing ZwiftRacing.app - Zwift Racer Rankings Done Right

Kind of intresting that Greg Alexander, who has been dominating Cat C Tiny Races (in zone 2?), is in with the big boys with a ranking of 4220 and keeping our resident trophy hoarder Sam company. :wink:

i dont know if this race will be fun or hard hard hard workā€‹:scream_cat::scream_cat::scream_cat:

I think that depends if those high CP riders try to ride you off their wheels, or allow you to sit in where youā€™ll be fine on the punchy parts. An interesting course for you, thatā€™s for sure. Iā€™ve got a feeling with your 10w/kg 30 sec power youā€™ll be OK.

1 Like

@gloscherrybomb The 3rd placed rider in the overall rankings (2632993) is in Cat B.

They have a lot of good results in that category but I donā€™t understand why that elevates them above so many (in theory) ā€˜better/strongerā€™ riders in A when they donā€™t get to race against them.

Is this an anomoly or is there an explanation?

1 Like

Ha, Iā€™m pretty close to you on that prediction site. Though your ZR ranking is 1000 points better than mine (Platinum 2 vs. Gold 1), and I get dropped on any hill always (at least 6 great opportunities to be dropped on this course), so my strong guess is both the ZR and prediction algorithms are being overly generous to me.

Iā€™m going to try to make tomorrowā€™s race, Iā€™m not 100% sure I can yet, but I will be testing out how fun it is from the low end of a pen (and prediction model) and attempting not to rage quit :slight_smile:

1 Like

ZRace predicts that you beat me, so that should mean some increase in ranking for you (maybe). Go for it! It will break up on the third climb on the first lap, so I hope there will be someone to ride with at the back.

1 Like

9 wins, 22 podiums in 28 races this season (since September 4th). They are a cat B only in name, with all the key attributes of a top end rider. Will they struggle faced with similarly skilled opponents but with a higher CP / 20m power? Maybe. Would their ranking be different if they had races against more varied fields? Maybe again, but I donā€™t think you could provide a better example of a ranking system doing exactly as is it should.

1 Like

Unfortunately seeing some people in the wrong pen probably because they are using their normally assigned pen and not reading the instructions.
Hopefully itā€™s still a successful test.

Itā€™s also a test of basic reading skills. To be honest itā€™s not testing much. Itā€™s just hopefully the first of many!

1 Like

It could give some insight into how well your spitting worked for this course.You race organizer will have to build up a knowledge base of what works an what doesnā€™t.

We already know the answer to this.

4 Likes

Is it time to make a big @ list post for all the riders who didnā€™t read the flipping manual, as regards which pen to join? :joy:

1 Like

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure ZRace is drunk.

As an aside: Would it also make sense to do a race test that puts people in pens via ZRace prediction as well to see if that is actually useful? This is the first time Iā€™ve ever looked at a prediction from ZRank, so I have no idea how good it is other than what it says on its page.

I guess it will be interesting to compare ZRank to this ELO stack after the race to see what the difference would be.

1 Like

I think Zrace at least heavily relies on your Zwiftpower weight and FTP settings to predict outcomes, perhaps looking at other power data too.

If for example, I changed my FTP to equal Tom Bellā€™s W/Kg effort on his practice run up the Old Shoe ahead of the UK national hill climb championship on 30th (7.2W/Kg for 5mins55secs), after Zrace realises I would be predicted to win C.

In reality, if I take part tomorrow night (which is looking increasingly unlikely), I will be amazed if I donā€™t come last in C. Struggling to recover from recent Covid infection.

From their site it seemed more in depth than that, but again, Iā€™ve never used it. Iā€™ll be looking to see if it was a better predictor than the ELO ranking was personally either way.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. Zrace expects me to finish 2nd in Pen C but my w/kg FTP is about 21st best out of the 54 starters. With 2 laps around Richmond I reckon Iā€™d be lucky to be with the front group by the end of the first lap. I have quite a good ZP ranking (well above what my FTP would suggest) but thatā€™s mostly because I know how to draft like a maniac on Zwift.

1 Like

Maybe the prediction methodology has improved, which is great, but earlier in the summer those setting changes had huge affects.

I did message everyone in the wrong pen on companion app earlier. Maybe itā€™s a bit much to expect them to read that instead though.

3 Likes