Introducing Hide Display Mode [April 2021]

Nope. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just updated today before my ride, but after the update it went blank. Nothing work, I just get a message that says: forbidden

I’m on a MacBook Pro, been using it for 3 years for Zwifting never had an issue before!

Help!

But if it was a rider near you, you still wouldn’t know it because the rider list isn’t on the screen so you have no idea who is near you. (Unless you have the ‘Zwifters Near Me’ open in the Companion app, I suppose.)

With this new option to hide the display elements, will Zwift finally update the distance counter in the Companion app??? Sometime back there was an issue where the distance shown (in both the Zwift game and the Companion app) ticked over to the next 1/10th mile/kilometer when the actual distance traveled got to the 0.05 point. (That is, the distance was calculated at more than one decimal place, but the distance shown is only one decimal, so there would be rounding.) This caused a ‘bug’ whereby the XP would be awarded at some point shortly after the display ticked over to the next mile/kilometer.

At some point this issue was corrected in the Zwift game, but it still lingers in the Companion app. Personally, I think it would be great if ZC was updated to match the game.

See Can't launch Zwift errors 400 403 404? [April 2021] [SOLVED]

did this move or replace the elbow flick button

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my point. They might think me rude for not reciprocating when I’m right next to them, and even if not, the thought that they might causes me anxiety. (ND, go figure).

Quick note about this feature, the keyboard direction changes are still active when the HUD is turned off. So if you’re messing about with the drone camera (probably trying to get a lovely clean screenshot) you can still take yourself off route without realising, only now without seeing the orange direction selection outline moving.

I suppose the ‘workaround’ is just to tap the circle in the Companion app every time you receive a Ride On!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Love the feature, but since it still tells you a ride on has been received via blue thumb, I would prefer that the senders name be shown.

1 Like

I don’t usually use the Companion app - and anyway, the AoE Ride On isn’t active in events (for some unknown reason that almost certainly must be technical limitations - although they manage it around Coco). :stuck_out_tongue:

add ‘set gVignette=FALSE’ to your current config.

2 Likes

Tried this yesterday during Tour of Watopia Stage 5. For about 30s I was like ‘nah’, then I settled in and it was awesome! I wouldn’t be surprised if many if not most riders put out better numbers w/out the HUD. The mental limitations of w/kg, watts, and/or HR being removed since you can no longer see them. BUT, if you really need to see the numbers, glance over at your Companion app.

I was surprised to see :ride_on: appear. It doesn’t include a name so visually it’s less noisy. That said, I don’t mind having them appear, but if they didn’t I’d be okay with it as well.

2 Likes

Nice one, I’ll give that a go. Cheers.

1 Like

Wew, loads better! That’s off on the group. :wink:

As with so many aspects of Zwift, options to have it either way would be ideal.

The one thing I missed in the ToW ride was knowing how far there was left to go. I had to toggle the HUD a couple of times to check.

Funny you should mention that. I did the same thing! :smile:

3 Likes

Tried this out this morning, doing Lutscher CCW with a TR sweet-spot workout (4x15min @ 88-94%). Really nice. Camera position 3 (rider POV), TR taking the bottom 5th of the screen - it’s just so nice and quiet visually… when you put the HUD back on, you notice how intrusive it is. I’ve gone up the reverse climb of Lutscher many times, never even noticed there was a town that big we were riding through; that’s how much the HUD and info on the sides are hiding.

Good move, Zwift. Like it.

1 Like

I would like if we could do workouts with the HUD off. We have the companion app to see when intervals change. I think giving the user the option to decide if it is fine using no HUD in a workout or not.

Doing long Z2 workouts will be nice without the HUD.

11 Likes

Just join the Dark (black and blue) Side…