Imported workout names not showing on PC

Howdy,

I’m having a bit of an issue with imported custom workouts…

I have created a whole bunch of workouts with my text editor. When I import these workouts (Documents/Zwift/Workouts?USER ID/) on my Mac they show up in my custom workouts tab on Zwift with the names from the file as well as the author and the other metadata from the .zwo file

When I do the same thing on my PC with the same files the workouts show up but they’re all titled “New Workout” and no metadata is included, thus making them almost useless…

I’ve also checked my workouts.files file and the metadata is correctly stored there.

Here’s one workout that shows up as “New Workout” on my PC without any author and as “W13-D3” on my Mac with “J. Baumgartner (Burnham Racing)” as the author.

<workout_file>
    <author>J. Baumgartner (Burnham Racing)</author>
    <name>W13-D3</name>
    <description>W13-D3</description>
    <sportType>bike</sportType>
    <workout>
        <SteadyState Duration="300" PowerLow="0.392" PowerHigh="0.392" />
        <SteadyState Duration="300" PowerLow="0.592" PowerHigh="0.592" />
        <SteadyState Duration="60" PowerLow="1.076" PowerHigh="1.076" />
        <Warmup Duration="540" PowerLow="0.592" PowerHigh="0.788" />
        <IntervalsT Repeat="6" OnDuration="19" OffDuration="10" PowerOnLow="1.452" PowerOnHigh="1.452" PowerOffLow="0.36" PowerOffHigh="0.36" />
        <SteadyState Duration="180" PowerLow="0.36" PowerHigh="0.36" />
        <SteadyState Duration="480" PowerLow="0.908" PowerHigh="0.908" />
        <IntervalsT Repeat="6" OnDuration="19" OffDuration="10" PowerOnLow="1.452" PowerOnHigh="1.452" PowerOffLow="0.36" PowerOffHigh="0.36" />
        <SteadyState Duration="480" PowerLow="0.908" PowerHigh="0.908" />
        <SteadyState Duration="300" PowerLow="0.544" PowerHigh="0.544" />
        <SteadyState Duration="300" PowerLow="0.36" PowerHigh="0.36" />
    </workout>
</workout_file>

Well, I don’t know why it worked but this seemed to have worked.

I went to my PC and deleted my USER ID folder from /Workouts and replaced it with the USER ID folder form my Mac and now everything is as it should be.

Simply replacing the zwo files didn’t cut it. I dunno…

Hi @Julian_Baumgartner
I’m wondering if this because Mac and PC plain text editors encode plain text files differently?

Historically Windows used ANSI encoding and Macs used UTF-8 and they didn’t play nicely way back in the early days of Mac vs PC. That’s improved in 2020 but it still ain’t perfect. I still see bizarre characters show up in a .TXT file created on a PC that’s opened in Mac and vice versa. That’s even if I specify UTF-8 encoding when I create the text file.

Anyway, why not use the officially-endorsed method of creating Zwift custom workouts?

I wondered if there was any issue with carriage returns, but I did a set of test workouts using the three variations and they all displayed the names just fine.

So that’s ruled out at least.