I would like to ride the Haute Route event, but the game engine makes it physically impossible

This is clearly not the case. I have ridden in 1000 person rides (tour of Innsbruck) and it was a smooth experience the entire time. There was never a point in the ride where the road in front and behind me was not completely full of riders. There is either a server or client side issue with very large rides that needs to be addressed here.

2 Likes

Today i did the stage one the three sister , and i did not Show on badges that i achieved the ruote.

1 Like

That is likely an issue of lead-in. If the race paddocks dump you out after the conventional start of the route, it wouldn’t count the route as complete, because you “didn’t start it from the beginning”. Solution would be to put the actual start after the race paddock entry point, and have everything prior to that be lead-in.

Haute route event stage 1

If all else fails, you could turn off the phone’s wifi connectivity. This should let you ride around by yourself, with no other riders in Zwift. When you reconnect, everyone should pop back on, just like after a normal drop out.
Pretty lonely, you get no drafting effect and it misses the point of a group event, but at least you could ride the course. Maybe restore wifi after 20mins, assuming the riders will have spread out by then.

Ultimately, the issue is a lack of hardware on your end. FWIW a 3 year old iPad handled the 10,00 riders on the Andre Greipel ride ok (though you could tell it was working hard from the speed the battery drained).

It would be pretty awesome if zwift could throttle the number of riders each type of device renders. Or if there was a list of devices and number of riders in event before performance sucks. Maybe you could speak to Zwift Insider to see if they could host a crowd-sourced resource like this?

1 Like

Speculating wildly: could this have something to do with fixing the fence functionality, that the code calculating the positions of nearby riders has been made computationally even more expensive. See also Zwift on PC graphics stutter last two days

NEAT! That’s the kind of stuff that will have me dropping Zwift for TR. I truly don’t care about anyone I don’t know IRL in game. The world could be populated with CPU riders for all I care.

This afternoon, i’ll haul my entire gaming PC downstairs and see if it can handle group rides. I expect it should pull down at least 250 FPS. If it doesn’t, I guess this month will be my last on Zwift.

@Skyssx

Look at this video clip you can see there is 6141 riders in Richmond. Now look at the top left where the Powerup circle is, see how the riders disappear those are outside of the 100 rider circle.

Now look at the mini Map (top right) see there is only a small blob of riders that is the 100 that is drawn. with over 6000 riders there should be many more on the mini map.

1 Like

Yeah, the rider position calculations will probably limit the FPS either way. As an experiment, you could try starting the event, disconnecting your internets (to remove other riders; of course you won’t be able to draft anyone that way) and reconnecting only when you get close to the finish.

There were 28,000 riders but not all in one event. There are limited events for Haute Route which causes too many people in one event. Zwift should not do this if it cannot handle this. And it is clear it cannot handle it with so many people getting kicked out of the event. Calling this a hardware issue is a cop out. We are using approved hardware and it is not working. It is frustrating and then being told it is our fault is even more frustrating.

4 Likes

Same for me, 8000 riders in the 12:00 EST Haute route and I spent 15 minutes pedaling away in the same spot. I’m using a PC and never had any problem before today. Super frustrating since I have been looking forward to this weekend for over a month. I also do not understand why Zwift would not add more times when you could see two days ago there were thousands of riders signed up for each event.

5 Likes

Hi! Yes, I lined up today for Haute Route twice, @ 9h EDT & 12h EDT…both instances I experienced the same result, I was at the start line for over 15 minutes for each event, then as soon at the event started, I believe I rode 5 metres and then “POOF”, the app dropped. I also tried to re-enter the app but I was never prompted to rejoin the event. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to join in the other 3 Haute Route events this weekend. : (
I understand there are many users and the servers must be over-heating but it is somewhat frustrating when looking forward to joining an event.
This has happened to me perhaps 5 or 6 times with other events; my wi-fi isn’t the issue because I’m always able to ride “regular” Zwift routes.
To those that took part in the ride, enjoy!!

1 Like

Yes, Zwift add more time slots for this event, please.

Thanks. I used the laptop for the 12pm EDT Haute Route and it was able to get me through. The graphics look a lot better on the laptop. I experienced a 7 or 8 drops where everyone disappeared and came back sometimes requiring me to re-ride the last few minutes I rode. This happened a lot on the Volcano climb. I don;t know if that is my issue or Zwift’s but I have noticed that the companion app is having a lot of difficulties today.

Thanks again for all the help.

I was logged in twice today t the right times and nothing happened within the app. WTH?

1 Like

Yep. Just to add to the list. I’m using a very high end gaming laptop and I couldn’t even get into Watopia. Tried for 10 minutes, it kept freezing on the loading screen. Finally was able to get into Richmond but couldn’t get into the event. Very frustrating. Normally I wouldn’t even try to Zwift at 11am (Pacific Time) but when I checked yesterday 9 and 11 were my only options.

1 Like

Tried twice today to do the event.

Got in at least 10 mins before the start each time and within 10 secs of the start the app crashed. I know I’m using an old iPad (lack of space) so thought I wouldn’t pedal at the beginning and let everyone go ahead. Still crashed.

Poor experience but at least the second time I didn’t waste time getting kitted up as I knew what would happen :wink:

Very poor planning on Zwift’s part - with limited slots for the event considering how many slots they have had for the recent two tour events.

1 Like

Additional time slots have been added!

Zwift, you need to reschedule for people who were kicked out and can’t join again today! I’m really dissapointed as I prepared for this and are not able to complete this Haute Route anymore. :cry::angry:

4 Likes

Poor planning for the Haute Route. System crashed almost straight away. Decent laptop and perfect internet connection. Very disappointed. :rage:

3 Likes