I think my bike is too big, do I get a shorter stem or a smaller bike frame?

i like to ride the smallest frame possible and just set everything up aggressively but a $15 stem is a lot cheaper than a frame

2 Likes
  • ok, my 2 cents worth
  • go to the smaller frame - i am about your size and would use the smaller frame
  • you will not need to stretch to reach the bars and if you sit up a bit more that won’t be a problem - reaching to the bars will be
  • using a bit longer stem won’t be - use what feels comfortable for you - try out a couple to see
  • if you are using a smaller frame and need to raise the set post up a bit just make sure it has enough length to be safe - you need a certain amount inside the seat post
1 Like

Good point. Although…because it is a safety issue, I’m gonna be that guy :slight_smile:

That bike in the pic is not safe. The top of the stem (red arrow) needs to come up over the top of the steerer tube (yellow arrow). If the steerer tube extends up over the top of the stem, you’ll have a gap when you put the stem cap back on (green arrow). That means that your bearings won’t be tightened into place, and your fork is going to flop around all over the place. Potentially damaging your fork, and/or frame.

You need enough spacers below the stem so that the top of the stem is over the top of the steerer tube. Like this:

2 Likes

…or just put one or more spacers between the stem and the top cap if necessary. (That’s recommended standard practice for full carbon forks according to many manufacturers anyway.)

3 Likes

Yeah, was going to say the same - i usually have a 5mm spacer above the stem on my set up.

2 Likes

That bike in the pic is not safe…

Fair enough! That was just the best pic I could find of spacers.

2 Likes

For sure on carbon steerers, that last 5mm is something I always put on too. For this case, non carbon and trying to maximize height, I figured stem on top. (plus it looks #moarpro :laughing:)

1 Like

Update: Thanks everyone for the help! I just had a look at my bike and it is actually a one-piece for the stem and handlebar. It states this on their website but I never noticed and was just looking at the pictures.

I’m just going to return it and probably buy a road bike.

2 Likes

Doh! Well, yeah, that changes things :slight_smile: Their site says that the bike is shipping these days with separate bars and stem due to supply issues, but I guess that’s a more recent change than I assumed.

If return/exchange for another size is still an option, that might be the path of least resistance rather than swapping out the stem and bars. Good luck.

1 Like