I just finished my first ride and I'm a bit frustrated

I will be 75 next month and I am very competitive. It is tough to see all of these riders passing me when I suspect most are less than 1/2 my age. I would like to only see riders within 5 years of my age. I also have a lot of trouble getting my Wahoo Snap to pair with the program.

Hi Lynn. Have you raced in the masters series? Organized into 5 year groups. You add your age group to your name. Everyone starts together but you’re only really interested in people in your age category. That said there’s less guys in the over 70 categories. There’s a facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zwiftmasters/

Well done riding at 75 and being competitive.

As for the Snap. I went through 2 of these and could never get them calibrated correctly. Power was being understated massively and it got worse the harder I went e.g. 200 watts on the Snap = 250 watts on my power meter, 300 watts on the snap made the back wheel lock up. Ended up getting a refund and bought a Cycleops Hammer. Power from that is within 3% of my power meter.

Sorry I can’t help with getting the Snap connected with Zwift. If you’re connecting by ANT+ make sure you’re using an extension lead and have the ANT+ dongle right next to the Snap.

Extension cable here https://www.competitivecyclist.com/zwift-usb-extention-cable?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6endpZnQ6MToxNDp6d2lmdA&skidn=ZWI0009-BK-S6FT

It solved my issue with a power meter drop. 

Here is some info on the drops from zwift… https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/204186849-My-ANT-signal-is-dropping

As for the youngsters dropping you it’s no fun but I figure it’s all training.  Zwiftmasters is a great race to join to see how you do against someone in your age range.  I have started doing some of the group workouts.  It keeps you with the group but if you are close to the target efforts based on your FTP, you will stay with the group.  It’s lots of fun and a good way to have the “full efforts” without being left alone on the road. 

I had a look at your account, and it looks like you’re connecting over Bluetooth via the Mobile Link. Be sure you’re following the instructions on the knowledge base exactly, and you should be set - the key here is to make sure you’re  not directly pairing your trainer with your phone. Leave the trainer unpaired, and Zwift takes care of the rest.

If you’re still having problems after trying those steps, send us a ticket, and we’ll help you out.

The last thing I want to throw out there is that aside from races and leaderboards, Zwift really isn’t about direct competition - it’s personal improvement. Think of the “Just Ride” option as a free ride where you’re out on the road with a bunch of other like-minded cyclists there to ride at their own pace. And if you’re looking to up your fitness level, you may want to start with the FTP builder workouts. They really work!

Keep it up, and Ride On.

I appreciate all of the comments. I am not seeking a race that I prepare for, I just would like to train with folks my own age. When you age your body can no longer do the things you could when you were in your prime. But your mind retains the ability to be tough and competitive. It is discouraging to be in a setting where you are not competitive and you don’t know if it is because those doing better are younger or you are just not tough. It seems like a small feature to add to have riders use the A-J classifications based on their age and only show the riders in your own classification.