How long does Zwift take to update?

(David Griscom YCW) #1

I was hoping to ride the new Mountain route this morning but when I launched Zwift it just kept hanging.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled,  After downloading, which took over half an hour,.it let me log in but it just keeps saying “updating”  Its been like this for over 20 minutes.  Is it loading more data or is it hung up?  How long should I let it go? 

(Cameron Bailey TBRR) #2

I am also having the same problem - the update has been running for hours without finishing. It gets to about 2 minutes remaining and then the time remaining slowly builds up and the update never seems to finish. I have stopped and re-started update without success and I have also downloaded the latest installer version also with no success. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

(David Griscom YCW) #3

Eventually I got impatient and killed the update.  When I re-started Zwift again it went back to “updating” but for 20 seconds or so and then everything was OK. 

(Andrew Jarrod) #4

Usually updates in a minute < less.  But I have heard others mention very lengthy updates, probably dependant on internet speeds.

(. TomH..) #5

Hi all, 

We’re sorry to hear, here are some tips.

As Andrew mentioned the update can take even 2 hours depending on your internet speed. If you having trouble updating go to www.zwift.com/free-trial and download the latest launcher for your PC and reinstall. This usually fixes most problems you might have.

NOTE: (use wired connection if possible) 

Thank you.

(David Griscom YCW) #6

I dont think my issue was internet speed.  It started the download and the progress bar kelp creeping along.  After about 30 minutes, the download completed and it brought up a new screen.  This screen cycled through screens with info about Zwift and at the bottom it said “Updating” with no progress bar.  I figured at this point it was unpacking files and doing the actual install.  After about 20 minutes of this I was concerned that the process was hung.  Task Manager (I am running Windows 8.1) showed very little CPU usage for this task and no network activity.  After another 20 minutes I just killed Zwift with Task Manager.  I restarted it and it went back to the same screen, but after less than 20 seconds I was at the log in screen and everything was fine.  I recall this happening to me one other time. 

(John Parkinson) #7

Agreed – this is not about internet speed, it’s about something at your end Zwift. It was also rather annoying (note: ironic understatement) to find the software updating automatically without my say so – I have a limited window in the mornings and did not appreciate your software auto updating for 30 minutes, taking half my ride time today. 

Please - give us an option to update at a time of our choosing, not just when we run the app.

(Cameron Bailey TBRR) #8

As above - the issue was not download speed but rather the files not downloading properly from the zwift server and timing out and re-starting etc. This can be seen in my launcher log - stopping and re-starting the process each time I could see it hanging at a file seemed to work - but it took a long time. My recommendation is not to uninstall zwift because this makes the process even longer as you have to download all the files over again. Not sure if just a PC problem?

(John Parkinson) #9

I’m on a Mac, so not just a Windows problem

(Shastri Doorgah 8288) #10

Hello everyone.

I faced the same issue since yesterday. Even let my laptop on the whole night to let it update. But now it is working with no issue to report yet. I have logged on Zwift thrice without any issue now.

So, let it download. Go on windows task and right click on zwift and DEACTIVATE THE AUTOUPDATE. Close zwift, restart. Works like a darling (till now).

Cheers

(Peter Denny) #11

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa01bnldom5uem9/File%2007-08-2016%2C%2016%2008%2007.jpeg?dl=0 

Having same issues on my Mac and always have had. Getting very annoyed now with this unacceptable service. It is not my internet connection or my Mac, it is clearly at the server end. I can see the DL speed for the update against speed tests performed at the same time on the same machine. 200kbs? come on. See photo. 

This image was taken after I uninstalled Zwift completely and reinstalled to see if it would improve the speeds. Clearly not. 

(Keith Johnson (LCC)) #12

Another unhappy rider here, I went to use Zwift tonight to find it needed to update. It’s not an internet speed issue, as we have about 30mb/s here. My laptop is still updating, after a restart, it’s been hours! Very frustrating!

(Frank Muennemann) #13

very sad. Update time keeps getting longer and longer, even though the progress bar occasionally bumps. Nothing wrong with my internet connection.

(David Griscom YCW) #14

If it takes more than 10 minutes or so with a good connection, its hung up.  Ever time this has happened to me I killed Zwift and when I restarted it the update was actually complete

(Can Dursun) #15

I have the same problem. It doesnt start although its done with updating. I missed the event because of that. I have been waiting more than 1 hour. I restarted the modem a few times but nothing happened. They should have found a solution to this problem long time ago. If i cant ride then i want my money back !!