Have to sadly say goodbye to Zwift

(Elfie Spiegel) #1

After using Zwift with no problems on my 8 year old Dell Inspiron N5110, I was forced (due to an incident involving a dog and water) to buy a new laptop. I decided on the Dell Inspiron 13-5378 2 in 1 not even imagining that an almost a decade newer laptop would have issues running Zwift. It does. Although it has slightly better specs than my old laptop, heat dissipation appears to be the problem. I have already burned through 1 fan, which involved Dell taking my laptop away from me for 3 weeks for inspection and repair. Can’t have that happen again. The fan kicks up to top speed while I’m still selecting a workout and doesn’t stop until I turn Zwift off. To add insult to injury, my iPad is a 4th gen and my iPhone is a 5c - neither of which are Zwift compatible. So, sadly I must say goodbye. I’m sad that I didn’t get a chance to climb Alp du Zwift. I was looking forward to that. Thank you, though. It’s been fun.

(James Blake) #2

Get an Apple TV 4K.  I’ve been using one with a Wahoo Kickr since the beta and it works great.  The graphics run at 1080p/basic, 30 frames/sec.

(Stuart Middlecoate) #3

I use a dedicated PC that cost less than 80 English pounds. Very cost effective

(Elfie Spiegel) #4

Thanks. That sounds like a great set up. Unfortunately, I live in the land of TV licences so I’d have to fork out an extra €160/year for a “capable of receiving a television signal” Apple TV just to use Zwift. I got rid of my TV last year to avoid paying a tv licence for a tv I wasn’t watching. Now I don’t know what to point my furniture at.

(Elfie Spiegel) #5

A cheap PC may well be an option. I’ll look into that. What are the specs?

(Stuart Middlecoate) #6

I’ve an i5 with 6gb RAM & 1GB graphics card with HDMI output to a monitor. Works a dream using ant+. No signal drop.

(Elfie Spiegel) #7

Thanks Stuart. Will have a look for something like that.

(David K) #8

I’m sorry to hear you’re having computer problems, but it sounds like it’s hardware related. It’s not really possible for a graphics chipset to require so much cooling that it breaks a fan, and it’s not possible for a game or an app to do that. There was likely something wrong with the fan to begin with, but fans are easily the most common computer component that breaks. That’s a risk with any computer.

I understand that repair can be an ordeal, though. There are more local alternatives than repair through the manufacturer, and even things that you can do with the PC to improve graphics performance at a relatively low cost.

In terms of alternatives, I believe Alienware is currently running a promotional for Zwift members on a couple of their models of media center PCs using Windows 10.
http://www.alienware.com/Landings/zwift/

(Dexter Chatterton) #9

Get a 2nd hand PC cheap, then look for a decent graphics card 2nd hand gamers are always trading up so it won’t be hard to find and i think you’ll find it will perform much better than you’re laptop.

(Elfie Spiegel) #10

David: You’re right, it may well have been a fault with the original fan but I was finding it more than a little disconcerting to have the fan spinning at top speed for the full time I’m on Zwift. As I use the laptop for work as well, the noise was always a worrying distraction.

I think the cheap PC + graphics card is the way to go. Thanks to all for the advice. I’m beginning to think that I might get to the top of Alpe du Zwift at some point after all.

(David K) #11

Well, if you should decide to pick up a new PC, here’s a list of our minimum device requirements:
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203193315-What-are-the-minimum-device-requirements-for-Zwift-

You may want to aim for something moderate or higher just in case we do another graphics update within the next few years. Desktops are usually the way to go as in the future, you’d have the opportunity to upgrade RAM, the graphics card, and your power supply. You don’t have those options with a laptop in most situations.

If you should end up with a new PC, just know we’re an easy email, chat, or forum post away if you need help or have questions!