Haute Route - Classed as Group Ride or Race Event?

Not sure how last year was configured (I am not even sure rode in it) but I stayed with the front group in Stage 3 today for the first 3rd or so and then had the foresight to check on ZP live (which hasnt been working since Jan) and surprise surprise the 20 of the 25 in front were Cat B. I had long burnt my matches by then damn it.

Such an easy fix for Zwift to make but they continue to bury their heads in they sand that this needs addressing.

2 Likes

yup. had electrolyte drinks, energy gels, banana, jaffa cakes etc. maybe didnā€™t eat enough before the start though.

prolly just Fā€™d up the pacing tho being forced to ride in Cat B when my real 20min max is only around 3.3w/kg. if you look at the top 100 in each cat for this, everyone is holding cat limits for 2 hrs rofl so much sandbagging going on. even at 3.0w/kg iā€™m riding at like ~90% of max HR, which is just not sustainable for 2 hours. if i had sucked it up, rode in C, and taken the UPG, probably would have been able to do all 3 days with ~2.5 on flats and ~3.0 on climbs. o well live & learn.

2 Likes

@BenJones I donā€™t think people are signing up to the w/kg they can hold for 2 hours. Using that logic B racers who can just about hold 4w/kg for 20 minutes would be signing up to the A category for a sprint race.

Itā€™s not fair on the other riders in the category if you sandbag and join a lower category. Whatever your intentions at the start chances are you will end up pushing yourself on a climb, push the pace on the flats, and otherwise influence the race. If you want to treat it as an easier training ride, join the right category, swallow your pride and accept that you will finish towards the back.

7 Likes

Last year they had E cat, we all rode together and it felt like a proper big event. Dropping from a group didnā€™t matter so much as you always had another behind.

2 Likes

I probably misread you there, I meant human (my) error. Just wanted to clarify that I didnā€™t knowingly enter B when I should have been in A! I appreciate the system doesnā€™t make mistakes, but people do now and again.

Jumped in to the cat A ride for stage 3 and managed to finish around mid-field. So no disqualification for me, just a realisation that there are some very quick Zwifters out thereā€¦ The stabilisers are off!

just wanted to let you know, that you always can upgrade your ZP Cat manually. So if you are Cat B close to the Aā€¦

@Stefan_84
You can always race in a higher Cat than what is assigned. No need to manually adjust.

you are right, Gerrie. I was trying to reply on Cameronā€™s post, because she/he was dqā€™d because of an auto-upgrade on ZP.

1 Like