Hand Cycle

(K.C. Race3R) #1

If you guys could do a trike, then this is very worthwhile … AW! That is the first HAND CYCLE that I have seen on zwift. They should create a bike for you and others! Imagine the first HB race!

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #2

Moved to feature requests :slight_smile:

(Craig Feringa) #3

I agree.  I assist a hand-cyclist (guide) as he does marathons.  I told him about Zwift after the Detroit marathon.  These guys are very serious athletes with Zipp wheels and carbon frames, lots of high tech stuff… Zwift seems like a great fit for these guys and would help in allowing them to train on their own, in their homes.  “my guy” loses grip strength below 45 degrees and overheats about 70-75 degrees (doesn’t sweat as much due to his injury).  Zwift would be a life changer for these guys… so… create a handcycle, have their own leaderboards. 

(Paul Sitko) #4

Where is this in feature requests? I can’t find it. I want to upvote it. This will put me over the edge for zwift membership.

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #5

Hi Paul - this is the post! It’s on our feature request list internally as well because of this post :slight_smile:

(Brian Radwanski) #6

I ran my first marathon on a charity bib for Homes for our Troops.  I had the fortune and pleasure to help raise funding to build a specially adapted home for a Marine EOD who lost his legs deactivating an IED.  When we met him and his family the night before I did not expect the huge impression he would make on me.  To say he was a person of increadible strength is an understatement.  You see, while we were raising funds for running the Marine Corp Marathon he was doing the same in his bid to hand cycle his first marathon.  

For all of the reasons mentioned previously, please add this feature to the game.  There are some increadible athletes out there who would appreciate, and be motivated by, a more humanized experience.  Perhaps consider teaming with the Lakeshore Foundation, the Challenged Athletes Foundation, PVA, and others.  Doing so gets the word out and helps quickly build a community for these athletes in zwift.  There may also be grant monies available to help defray the cost of development.

(Biga Andy Handbike Argentina) #7

Hi people, Mi name is Andres.  I started with Zwift 3 month ago, I am a Handcyclist too. I train every day and i am an athlete of the Argentinian paralympic team.

I would like to have an AVATAR and a racing group to meet and train with another hancycling or disabled riders…

(Michal R Baran Handcycle) #8

Me too! Just joined! Any update about a handcycle?

(Gerard Kalis H5) #9

From the Netherlands with winter coming it would be fantastic to be able to train with an avatar on the handcycle indoors. I’m a newbe in this field, last year I got disabled and finding a new challenge on the hankcycle gets me going.

But getting back to Zwift is sometimes painfull knowing not being able to ride a regular bike again. I won’t complain, I’m able to ride!

Thank you for doing  a great job keeping indoortraining atractive.

Kind Regards, Gerard Kalis H5.

(Antonio Alejandro) #10

I’m a handcycler and would love to see a top end handcycle lineup added (force g and rx) as it is probably largest company doing it, would be lovely to see my handcycle community out there and be able to identify

(Ryan (Handbiker) Rigard) #11

New to Zwift, but have been handcycling for a few years.  Trying it out for the winter training on the long endurance rides. Even if Zwift doesn’t create a handcycle avatar it would be nice for a handcycle class.  A, B, C, D, “H” maybe.

Also it would be fun to get a group ride together.  Maybe we can find a weekend time that would work most since we are so spears out around the world.  I am on MDT.

(Biga Andy Handbike Argentina) #12

HI ALL GUYS! 

HEY ERIC! Couldn´t do something for our request? i always train on swift, B-C-D level, we want an AVATAR FOR US!

MANY HANDCYCLIST OF THE HOLE WORLD ARE TAKING PART ON THIS BEAUTIFUL COMMUNITY. WE NEED YOU FOR ASKING THE ENGINEERS AND DESIGNERS OF ZWIFT TO DESIGN AN AVATAR OF A HANDBIKE … IT WOULD BE A BEAUTIFUL WAY TO INCLUDE US AS CYCLISTS WE ARE WITHIN THE SIMULATOR…EVEN WE CAN MAKE A GROUP RIDE TO TRAIN. I WROTE IN THIS WEBSITE LONG TIME AGO…BUT NO RESPONSE. IF ANYONE KNOW AN ADDRESS OR LINK TO WRITE IT WILL BE GREAT FOR US!

(Craig Feringa) #13

OK… to echo Andres Biga.  The first time I posted in support of this was 2015.  Two years later, here we are.  I again participated in the Detroit Marathon as a cyclist guide for a hand cyclist.  GM sponsors a group of combat vets that have been injured to the extent that they now use hand cycles.  This guys race as fervently as anyone.  They have a bond together that is inspirational to everyone with whom they come in contact. 

Guys,  ZWIFT is nothing if not a social platform.  Whether racing, or supporting someone who is trying to get to the top of the mountain the first time.  I know that there are lots of projects on the board that directly impact more people than this feature.  However, I would suggest that if you implement this feature (complete with available upgrades like carbon frame, Di2 shifiting, Zipp wheels, etc) it WILL impact EVERYONE who rides on Zwift.  There is no other bike selection that will have more of an impact on the community that this feature.  There will be races specifically for these guys and group events will be richer for your efforts.  

So… please consider putting this feature nearer to the top of the list.  You WILL be amazed how this will impact the whole community.  Ride Ons will rain from the sky.

Craig Feringa.

(Biga Andy Handbike Argentina) #14

Hi Craig! Thanks for your comments, we need that avatar , who can help us?

(Dave Brodmann TFC) #15

I have a strava friend that is interested in handcycling on zwift, is there any specific info or discussion groups I can point him to?

(Fen Coull (Hand Cycle)) #16

Just joined Zwift and bend a handcylist for 6 months or so after a mountain bike crash.

We’re a small group I’m sure, but a group that is, as has been said above, committed and enthusiastic.

Perhaps most important is that our handcycles are materially very different given we have less power available to push heavier bikes with more rolling and air resistance.

It would be great if we could race together, but also it would be great to feel the support in Zwift of able-bodied that riders we get on the road rather than the disheartening feeling of being constantly passed by other riders who don’t know why we’re slow.

(DanSonn (Handbike)) #17

I’ve just purchased a smart-trainer to use with Zwift and after reading comments like these started a facebook page in the hope to get a handcycle community together on Zwift and perhaps show a united desire for certain things to be developed.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Para-Zwift-Community-112244426292110/

Would also be good to get someone from Zwift following and contributing to this page?