General overall orientation guide to ZWIFT

(David Kindler) #1

I think it would be helpful to have an overview of some general pointers for using ZWIFT…stuff like:

At this point Zwift is limited to xxx courses during beta…in the future we’ll add courses (or enable your own through Google earth, etc if true)

describe when and how you can form a private group for your own cycling club…this would allow us to continue regular weekly rides indorrs in the New England winter, I assume this option doesn’t exist yet…but I haven’t read an discussion of plans for the released product

how does Zwift handle riding reistance if you are using a trainer without a motor brake that ties in (like a computrainer)

does drafting work? how would I know?

overall discussion of what ariding course is supposed to be like… i.e. are there sprint locations, and how are they called out?

describe what metrics you flash up for intermediate challenges…

discuss what happens when you pause… what if your ant+ connection is broken? can you restart and stitch the continued session onto the last one?

(Michael Engberg) #2

I would like to +1 this. Seems surprising that there is no user manual at this point. It would help BETA riders to point out bugs if something described in the user manual isn’t working and would give us BETA riders a quicker understanding of the features. We shouldn’t have to search the forums to figure out things like which keys to use to get different views and all the other ‘hidden’ features.

How do you get extra points for Jerseys?
How do you win ‘King of the Hill’ or other Jerseys?

(Mark Minn HPP) #3

It took me nearly 24 hours of ride time to figure out that you can click a fellow riders name while in game and to their view.

(Colin James) #4

I agree, I seem to be spending a lot of time trying to find answers to some basics in the forum.

(Will Wardy) #5

Me too… I just started and can’t find any info on what the difference is between the regular avatars and the “ghosted” ones.

(Michael Engberg) #6

The ghost avatars are AI (artificial intelligence) riders.

(Duane Gran [Vision]) #7

Agreed entirely. Could we do something community based on this? I think there is a lot of good will here among the beta testers. If Zwift set up a wiki I would gladly help document some of this. I’m open to other ways to write documentation but that works pretty well if you want to farm it out among volunteers.

I’m happy to let the Zwift people keep focus on building the toolset but I think the community can take on the documentation with a little nudge and oversight help from Zwift.

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #8

We’re generally so swamped that documentation suffers for it, unfortunately. There is definitely a Getting Started guide that’s being worked on here - in between all the tickets, bug fixes, testing, and QAing - that we hope to have ready soon.

Thank you for your patience, everyone.

PS - These are great points, however. I’ll start talking internally about a wiki of some sort that people can contribute to.

(Vincent Beggs) #9

Build the Wiki and we will come. I’m happy to spend a little time contributing.

(V Hugo Club WBR) #10

Is the Wiki there allready? And off course I would contribute.

(James Gill | TitaniumGeek) #11

I’ve written a fan manual for Zwift, and covering some of the points above.

Last weekend I did a large update, to cover all the new changes since moving to the new Watopia Island. 

I keep adding to it as new things develop

http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwift-user-manual-unofficial-running-updates/

(James Gill | TitaniumGeek) #12

I’ve written a fan manual for Zwift, and covering some of the points above.

Last weekend I did a large update, to cover all the new changes since moving to the new Watopia Island. 

I keep adding to it as new things develop

http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwift-user-manual-unofficial-running-updates/