Game Update: Oct 29, 2019

I’ve said many times that I wish Zwift would do their own in-game version of Strava type leaderboards. =)

1 Like

I know that’s the problem. I’ve been saying that from the start. :smiley:

Again, I agree. I’m just saying the impact this time was higher, which is why more people are complaining.

Although, now I come to think of it, someone can just create a new version of the same segments and we’d all get new PRs on them. :smiley:

1 Like

I think you can create your own segment make it private and it wont pull in the old data. I haven’t test this but i am pretty sure.

Yeah, but it’s also fun to compare to others. Can’t do that with a private segment.

1 Like

Try it with an open segment it might work. I made a few segments when I got my powertap, but I am now back to the original ones. Also I focus more on weekly TSS.

Zwiftinsider should make a new segment post gravel.

1 Like

@Eric_Schlange_ZI aka ZwiftInsider has created new segments in the past to replace old ones for various reasons. This seems as good as any a reason to create new Jungle segments. But is the Jungle the only place where this is an issue? If not, how many segments will need to be updated/replaced?

The jungle is probably the most effected one, and with bikes being so much different we would need a segment for every bike.

Yes there is other smaller sections of dirt in Watopia.

It seem like all the UCI roads stay the same like Richmond has never changed.

Bonjour,

J’ai un abonnement zwift et j’adore.

Voici une petite suggestion qui pourrait intéresser des utilisateurs et augmenter progressivement le nombre de zwifters:

Mon fils, en me voyant pédaler régulièrement, commence à s’intéresser a zwift et m’a demandé de pouvoir essayer. Il utilise donc de temps en temps mon trainer et mon “user” en alternance avec moi.

→ Dans le but de répondre à ces demandes, ne serait-il pas possible de proposer des abonnements ‘Famille’ avec 2 ou 3 utilisateurs possibles sur un même trainer?

Bien à vous.

1 Like

I don’t see the need for that. No more than is already the case. It doesn’t happen in the real world either. This physics change where existing bikes are suddenly much slower is unlike any other situation.

1 Like

I was more referring to the new MTB in the Jungle vs road bike. It will be nice to have different segments depending on what bike you use.

What would be better would be if Strava let us have bike-specific PRs. I’ve ridden the same segments on my road bike, mountain bike, commuting bike and Brompton folder. I’ll never get an overall PR on the folder, but it’d be nice to know when I’ve got a Brompton PR. =)

Then we can set the relevant Zwift bike against the activity. =)

1 Like

One update, so many bugs…

I’m sure most of these issues have all been reported by other customers but it’s important that Zwift understands the scale of how many customers have been affected so here’s my list (all relevant to the Apple TV app):

1. The show-stopper for me is that in four of the last five races I’ve entered over the past week I’ve been on my own (i.e. no other competitors are shown) from the start for the first 1.5 miles. I’ve never seen this behavior in over two years of using Zwift and it’s very frustrating and pretty much defeats the notion of racing in Zwift.

2. The discrepancies in distance between Zwift, ZCA, and XP points is annoying. It’s not a huge issue but it does make you wonder how such a fundamental bug got past QA testing. In fact, all of the issues in the latest release are should have been caught by QA testing so what went wrong ?

3. It’s now completely random as to whether I’m prompted to stay in the current world at the end of an event although it’s more common that I don’t see the prompt. Again, it’s not that much of an issue but it’s a bug and it should have been picked up in QA testing.

4. Silly things like the UI to adjust sock height: As soon as you start to move the slider the focus moves to another part of the screen so you have to move the focus back to the slider and move the socks up another half-an-inch before the focus moves again, and then repeat. Just adjusting sock height can take half a dozen attempts. It’s ridiculous. Who signed off that change and, again, why wasn’t it picked up in QA testing ?

5. The power graph shown at the end of an activity now only shows the rider best power not the power for the current activity. Again, QA testing…

There’s loads more of these small bugs and it’s difficult to understand how so many got through and into this release.

Yes, Zwift is great and I don’t know what I would do without it, etc. etc., but I’m a paying customer and I don’t expect to be experiencing these problems in what should be a fairly mature product by now. I do understand that Zwift is introducing new features and functionality with each new release but it needs to have more robust and effect QA testing in place to make sure that this type of bug fest doesn’t keep happening.

Steve Short.

3 Likes

I would really like there to be a better pause option on all formats.
Occasionally my companion app on iPhone will not connect while I’m using Zwift on my PC laptop, when I need to take a nature break I’ll click on menu (on laptop) and it says pause, but I lose the star/points. If I pause on the companion I don’t have that issue.

I’m currently in the middle of a 3 hour planned workout and I’ve lost two stars and over 800 points.

Jen Dicou

Jon_Mayfield
Jon
Zwift Staff

October 30

Hey Zwifters, today we’ve got an update for one of our favorite times of year on Zwift - Halloween. We’ve added a totally optional mini-challenge on Watopia to find 4 locations that unlock pieces of a Halloween costume. The costume is only usable for Halloween, and will be gone once the day has come and gone.

Additionally, while we continue work on some of our big projects (ie, things that are taking 6+ months to complete) we’ve made a few changes in this update and a recent patch, such as:

• Reworked ‘lead-in’ system for events. This should improve the lead-in countdown before lap based events, as well as resolve some of the other discrepancies we saw in the user interface during those events.
  • Fixed screen-size issue due to an Apple change in tvOS 13 on certain Apple TV’s, when used with 720p televisions
  • Fixed WatchOS 6 support
  • Fixed crash on iOS 13.1 + iPhones
  • Added Movember mission for November
  • Added content for Zwift Tri Academy
  • Tweaked speeds for meetups with the ‘Keep Everyone Together’ feature
  • Added Cannondale SuperSix Evo
  • Added additional variant of new user tutorial
    NOTE: The halloween update is available only for Windows, macOS, Android, and AppleTV currently. iOS is still being processed at Apple and likely to be out later this week.

I also wanted to touch on the rolling resistance changes that we made earlier in the month. Up until recently road and TT bikes went unrealistically fast on rough surfaces. As we start to think about adding other bike types such as gravel, cx, mountain bikes, fat bikes, etc in the future it made sense to start taking into consideration surface roughness vs tire/bike type. We don’t allow drafting on TT bikes. Some bikes are kilograms heavier than others and are bad for climbing. And now, road bikes can’t pretend dirt is tarmac. Dirt now acts more like dirt.

Now, with that out of the way, much of the negative feedback from some of our most outspoken Zwifters really stemmed from the fact the transition wasn’t handled very gracefully. We did a poor job of ensuring everybody got that specific update at the same time causing group rides to get blown apart as well as races being won unfairly. We’ll now be building some simple restrictions to events to ensure a more level playing field for the future (ie, requirements on equipment, up-to-date software, etc). We regret that some of the competitiveness of some group rides and races was ruined. As we continue to deprecate the older clients this issue should become mostly resolved. Additionally we’ll soon try and ensure everybody riding on events specifically on the jungle circuit will be doing so on the same class of bike (ie, MTB).

Finally, I want to thank the community for all the feedback on the steering test we launched earlier in the month. While the early skeptics were certainly vocal about it in the “Whats new” post previous to this one, in the end we’ve had almost 20,000 test rides fully completed start to finish and overwhelmingly positive feedback. While it was meant to be a low volume test, I think it could end up as a permanent addition to Watopia in the future. Who knows - maybe a whole network of single track trails can spread through the wilderness of Watopia one day.

I’ll end on a note saying we do read the feedback in this thread (and elsewhere) - even if we can’t respond to everything. I’ll personally try to check in a little more often with replies

With that, Ride on!

When I finish a ride on my pc it freezes and I can shut it down it isn’t responding!! Help!

Jeff Berger

I also use ATV and item 4 is the only one I have experienced. So, perhaps an issue with your system vs an issue with Zwift. Are you force-quitting your app after every use? ZC, too? Are you hard-wired to your network or on WiFi? If WiFi, are you set to a static channel, instead of letting your router search for the ‘best’ one?

I always find it interesting that even on the same platform there seem to be issues that some experience and others do not.

What was particularly frustrating was that all these issues started around the time that the late October update was released. I raised item (1) with Zwift support and was told that it was due to latency issues with my internet connection, i.e. I was too far from California. Well, I haven’t moved recently and it seems that people all over the world are able to connect without problems so why this was suddenly a problem was mystifying. I rebooted everything I could think of - ATV, router, etc. and it didn’t make any difference but after a few weeks and another Zwift update this problem and the others (well, not item (4)) just went away. It’s entirely possible that it was an issue with my internet connection but nothing else was affected (Netflix, etc.). It’s also possible that there were several underlying causes. For example, item (5) I strongly suspect was an issue with cached data on ATV and several reboots and a new install of Zwift seem to have fixed it.

We must fight in a group. That is why I have created a facebook group for Handbike users. So we can stand together and fight for our own avatars in the Zwift world.
I hope over time that we can create a large group and in this way put pressure on our own avatar.
At the same time, it makes it easier for us to get together in groups and drive together in Zwift so that we become even more visible.
That’s why I think the Zwift Handbike on facebook would be a great tool.

1 Like