Game Update - February 23rd, 2021

That feels really basic eh.

I started writing something in Unity last year. But then I remembered Iā€™d rather ride my bike or play Overwatch. :smiley:

(Itā€™s not a replacement Zwift, more of a 2D side-scroller shoot-em-up that uses a turbo trainer as input. A fun way to learn Unity development, but itā€™ll never see the light of day!)

3 Likes

Updated it last night and everything went to pot, I couldnā€™t calibrate my elite direto X, then it was over reading power and erg mode was all over the show.

The problem is that itā€™s been pointed out numerous times in the past, calmly and politely - and wasnā€™t heard. So itā€™s natural some people start getting lose their temper.

My personal grief with the UI is that, for some reason, you only can access appearance customization menus from inside the ride, while itā€™s clearly obvious, from any reasonable UI design viewpoints, that this functionality must be accessible from the main menu itself.

Same goes for the settings menu. I really just canā€™t remember a game where you wouldnā€™t be able to change settings from main menu, and had to first start playing the game to access them. Thatā€™s been a standard for decades, yet Zwift somehow managed to do this wrong as well - and then not fix it for many years.

Thatā€™s especially frustrating when you understand you pay a subscription fee that topples most of quite well designed MMORPGs on the market for this productā€¦

7 Likes

If you are using iPad or iPhone the problem for me seemed to be some thing running Bluetooth in the background on my phone. I had to reset my phone and delete all apps. The hrm worked straight away on Zwift with just the basic apps on my phone. Still working fine a month later. I am still downloading my apps slowly as I need them. Should be fine to download all apps that donā€™t use Bluetooth straight away. I had the nhs contract tracing app before which I have not re-downloaded maybe that could of been causing the problem but there are others that could cause the problem

To name but a few . :worried:

Iā€™ve commented on this before, and to some extent I agree. With high coverage of unit tests and a large suite of integration/regression/functional tests, these things should be caught. Iā€™ve speculated that the code or pipeline might just not be properly testable in its current form.

But I very much doubt itā€™s deliberate in the sense you seem to be suggesting. Iā€™m sure Zwift would love to wave a wand and fix all the bugs. But not everything can be addressed at once, so some things take priority over others. There are workarounds for the F10 problem, so itā€™s a candidate for lower prioritisation.

And the corollary to my speculation about the testability of the system is that bugs might be harder to track down. Iā€™ve been in this game for more than 30 years too, and Iā€™ve certainly encountered my fair share of bugs that were caused by seemingly entirely separate areas of code. :smiley:

Or the fun and games of trying to debug a crash, only to find that compiling in debug mode moved the error so the crash didnā€™t occur any more. :smiley:

I had the same issue and it turned out my chest lead Bluetooth element had stopped working so I needed a replacement luckily under the two year warranty. I would check as mine works fine. There was an issue some time ago but that got fixed.

I appreciate your sentiment and yes I am sure that Zwift are trying there best and working hard and yes it is ā€œcomplexā€ , that is why we pay them each 150 quid a year to use this platform .

I think it is very reasonable to expect however , some degree of QA so fixes are thoroughly tested before release to cause in some cases more problems than they fix . Putting adaquate controls around that might reduce the noise and the workload .

The main reason some of us more vocal critiical (but we are being contructive as we dont just air negative views we suggest when possible why ) voices are so active is that the biggest issues we all want to see fixed are ignored and by passed . The velocity to get change done is very low . Bug backlog IMO is increasing not decreasing ( That is subjective of course as they are not that transparent and we have no sight of there bug list showing status , e.g. new, verified , fixed , cant fix , wont fix . )

Whilst bugs that clearly are important to lots of people are not addresses seemingly bugs that have generated no noise at all are implemented ā€¦ and wose implemented and introduce issues for others.
Getting new functionality is then packaged into a beta project which does not follow the normal operations of a beta project with inadaquate feedback loops . (Futureworks) .

I think it is worth of course being clear we are not personally attaching Zwift staff and of course we appreicate there efforts . This is not about that . Its about giving Feedback , honest and helpful.

This is why you see ā€œcomplaintsā€ . I think they are justified and see very few that allow us to label a poster crazy. If Zwift are serious , and I think they are , they will be taking this information (almost all good) in and making improvements , the more honest criticism they get the easier it will be to have there IT department get the resource and support from the business to address this .

7 Likes

Another brand new post-update BLE No signal case here: Kickr V5, Windows 10, random cheapo BT dongle. Rebooted a couple of times and unplugged the dongle, no help. Supposed to lead a group ride in a few mins, hoping at least the ANT+ signal will stay connectedā€¦

1 Like

The changes to the pace partners seem to be working well. The extra distance means you donā€™t have everyone scrambling to stay within 7m of the pace partner so the group as a whole seems to be a lot smoother. I can now comfortably sit just behind the pace partner without worrying that I will suddenly have to sprint if I get shuffled too far back by the group. Well done Zwift. Have a gold star.:star:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s because they donā€™t want you doing private races. They want you to race in official events. Giving you proper functionality to run your own races (and thus exclude sandbaggers, weight dopers, power rangers and other assorted numbskulls that ruin racing for people) means less people in mass events, and more people using the platform for their own purposes (which Zwift wonā€™t later be able to monetise)

2 Likes

WTF ZWIFTā€¦what kind of sad game is this ???
So unless TACX and STAGES sign a exclusivity contract there is no steering ? what is the next step? trainers from those manufactures stop working with ZWIFT ???

FROM ANOTHER FORUM:
"
1. Wattbike has signed the steering exclusivity contract with Zwift which was also signed by Wahoo and Elite, so Atom steering is definitely in development and users will get steering capabilities soon
2. Wattbike Atom testing code which should have only been active for Zwiftā€™s internal QA team was pushed out in the public January 21 release"

1 Like

I had this issue (crash, freeze, BSODā€¦), and the crashes went away after I limited the frame rate on my laptop graphics card to 30FPS. Zwift is not exactly COD, so 30FPS is perfectly fineā€¦ worth a try.

Can you confirm if with this update I can use my laptop with the latest Intel Iris graphics hardware?

Avatar moving to the left side at the start of race
I was hit by this bug during the ZRL /WTRL race 23/2-2021 starting at 19.19 Denmark / EU time.
Is there solution for this and if yes, when can it be expected to be released?
My setup is
HT: Tacx Neo2T
HR: Garmin BT/ANT+
Power Source: Quarq DZero SRAM eTap 11 speed ANT+

1 Like

First two rides avatar stopped pedaling - no reason - right at kom arch and finish route arch - same story. Please fix. Wahoo kickr, Apple MacBook + iPhone (companion)
Please add support fir new wired connection to kickr - other apps have this support. Please address kickr issues

Have you tried turning your laptop resolution down before opening Zwift? Not an acceptable solution, but may help.

I get 8 fps on a 4K laptop with a GTX1650 at any Zwift quality setting, because unlike any conventional game I cannot choose a screen resolution and it insists on using the native. So although the world graphics are set to low quality the GPU still has to generate all the UI in 4K.

Hi Wes,

I have the same issue. Since some days Zwift is not connecting with the Garmin HRM iOS devices.

Can this be fixed short term?

Best regards
Till

Thereā€™s very little performance difference between rendering the game in 4K on a 4K display and 4K on a 1080p display, so thatā€™s not your issue (plus the UI resolution is irrelevant). It shouldnā€™t be 8fps either way, something else is very wrong on your laptop.

The OPā€™s problem is different, thereā€™s a big thread about the game freezing on 10th gen iGPUs in particular.