Game update 1.28 [August 2022]

I get what he’s saying tho nice to have it big that virtual ‘pain’ effect makes things blurry there’s a reason lol sometimes despite having that ‘effect’ turned off it seems to turn itself back on. Also speaking for those who can say things like ‘well a half century ago I was …’ ones distance vision gets better as our near vision starts moving outward there’s a sweet spot … then they cross and both become worse. There’s a reason for the expression ‘young eyes’ I can still be closer both to a big screen to see everything but I may need a bigger screen (I’m dunno say 5 feet from a 32 inch tv screen) or to get closer soon!

I was trying to scroll using a Trackpad this morning and it just wasn’t happening.

Just following back up on the main menu UI and scaling.

I’m in the same place as others have mentioned; the scaling is where I kind of need it (1080p 32" TV through PC).
Any higher and the text becomes beyond too small to read on such a lower resolution TV.

So yes, as others have mentioned; it’s not the scale or really even appearance of the UI…

It’s the user experience that basically sucks.

It’s pretty… buuuuuuuuut…

Just like anyone reading this message, it’s equally as annoying to have to scroll down and through to see half of the relevant information.
I kind of agree with some of those alterations; we have multiple “pages”, why not just have the bots on a completely unique page all to themselves? It makes the most sense, and would certainly be the cleanest looking, and you could see all of the relevant information without having to scroll at all (or shouldn’t have to at least).

Keep the main menu for absolutely important stuff, such as missions, workout of the week, perhaps even news / updates in their own block?

Pages should be relegated to major portions of Zwift: Events, Workouts, Pace Partners.

Choose one; not both… It’s terrible UX/UI to have the option to scroll down to see something, or click on a totally unique “page,” because if something changes or is bumped down, and a user is used to scrolling, and where that thing was is no longer found, but just waaaaay down the page? It can lead to confusion. Meanwhile another person who is used to clicking on one of those pages (tabs?) at the top left of the main menu… will always know exactly where something like events is; because it literally has its own page.

Again, this isn’t a scaling issue; it’s a UX/UI issue.

I think part of the issue could be down to whoever designed it only really got internal feedback; and expects users to use something the way they had in mind… Yet then started adding more things to the main page, that can be found on other pages. Again… this is confusing, and clearly makes a mess out of the main menu.

It’s a “video game”… I shouldn’t have to scroll in the main menu to find things. I should just be clicking on buttons to take me to a new unique menu.

10 Likes

Leg snapper as official Zwift KOM would be cool for me personally. I suspect Lucien would lay waste to me in a race but Ive dug deep on some segs like that one … very … deep. Lol. But it does seem like a natural KOM given a) c’mon that’s a cool name! b) both ‘Innsbrucking’ is a course and the Richmond course having so many KOMs they’re in directions at least at some point one needs to manually navigate to unless they do the ‘reverse’ ‘event.’ Which, is awesome (btw). I love it when things are harder to figure out just as Lucian loves them when harder to do enough watts! But I’ll go with ‘Wait ‘’Leg Snapper’’ isn’t a named KOM on Zwift?!’ Lol. Ride on!

2 Likes

Same on Windows so I assume every platform. Probably related to the correct event shirts not showing up; I guess the game thinks you’re in and out of the event at the same time. So you see yourself (arrow) and you as someone else (blue dot in same place).

Also, is it normal for there to be two KOM start points on the volcano? I don’t recall seeing it before.

Might be the same problem.

Saw for the first time today too

1 Like

Extremely trivial but has the personal marker always been the round circle and the arrow over top of it? I thought it was the circle for other zwifters and the arrow for your avatar?

1 Like

Good post. Personally think the new layout within the ‘new’* UI is nonsense, and leads me to ask even more what benefit I’m getting from it. People say it looks better, but I don’t even buy that considering how out of step with the rest of the game it [still] is and the fact it stutters around at about 15fps (or worse). Add in the features that have been removed/lost and I genuinely don’t see how it’s an improvement. Functionality aside, I think the user experience is poor.

*7+ months. It’s not new any more.

I’m no designer, but some of this stuff is

just baffling.

12 Likes
1 Like

Interesting, I’m getting just under 130fps in the menu, viewing a route, etc. Scaled tiny, ultra profile, M1 MBP. That’s almost double what I get in game (except Makuri)

It’s not the frame rate of the game, just the UI over the top of it. I’m locked at 95fps and it still looks like this: Streamja - Simple video sharing Gets progressively worse over time unless you do a full restart.

Hmm, mine looks pretty smooth. No annoyance factor in terms of smoothness. UI could be better but I just learned how to scroll right so I’m over the moon.

You’re on a different OS and graphics architecture though, this may be restricted to Windows/Nvidia or whatever.

I first reported it in March, apparently nobody gives a toss. Just thought I’d mention it as it’s typical of the poor user experience being discussed here. As is the unedifying way the game exits.

1 Like

Thanks hadn’t seen your earlier post but sounds just like it so confirmed bug but seems rare.

1 Like

I agree with having Missions, Events, Workouts, and Pace Partners as their own tab.
That would help quite a bit. It makes a whole lot of sense.
It may even eliminate the horrendous horizontal scrolling.

I said it months ago. I’ll say it again.

This is going to be a nightmare on AppleTV, which is my primary way of using Zwift.

3 Likes

I’m getting the avatars flicking after latest update. Win 11 and Nvidia 3070. Not sure if it’s related.

That’s been happening for approaching two years.

Workaround is here: New launcher (1.0.51) causing stutter on Windows systems - #49 by Dave_ZPCMR

It’s the ‘boatload of nothing’ area that really most needs to be addressed, which in turn of course is making scrolling that much more necessary to get to the areas of ‘something’.

Some of that ‘nothing’ area is supposed to show all of soon-upcoming events you’ve signed up for. Why not put those instead on the page that the Events tile takes you to? The top row is supposed to be able to fill up with missions. I don’t know if it’s intended that someday there’ll be 6-7 of these available at any given time, and/or why missions are given top billing real estate?

3 Likes

Just in case this is the issue – the whole screen isn’t scrollable left/right. You would for example, need to have your cursor hovering in a row that extends off the screen, and when scrolling, only that row will scroll. Up/down scrolling though, all columns/tiles move.

1 Like

I still have the old UI on android and it is just better, everything is easier to access, fewer clicks needed, remebers the last route, ride with function etc

why didn’t they just add the garage and settings to the old UI? would anyone have not been happy with that?

2 Likes