FTP testing method inquiry

I’ve got a question about FTP testing. I like the 20 minute method instead of the ramp method but I hate having to focus on keeping my power up constantly.

I’m wondering if I could just set up a workout for 20 minutes at what I believe would be my new max FTP, then do that workout in ERG mode, and Zwift would automatically capture the result as my new FTP.

So, for example, I could create a workout with a warmup, then 20 minutes at 280 (higher than my current 20 minute CP) and then try to work it to get a higher FTP outcome. Would Zwift register my new FTP from this?

I also think this method would be really accurate because I wouldn’t have to deal with spikes in watts that might get slightly more fatigued.

Thanks for any help here.

If i am not wrong zwift will count 95% as yours new FTP from any 20m ERG workout. Then you need go little higher if you want reach 280 ftp.

1 Like

It could work, But that will not be your true FTP.

The FTP test is not just the 20min, the preceding efforts is just as important. The way the 20 min FTP was developed took into account for the first few blocks.

1 Like

Just to make things clear read this:

Your FTP based on CP or a 20 minute effort is just 95% of CP20.

If you believe holding 280 W over 20 min will higher you current FTP. Think about that:

1. 280 W * 0.95 = 266 W
  2. 266 W is 4 W decrase to your current FTP.
  3. If you want to reach a FTP in high of 280 W you should push higher 295 W in AVG (constant or with spikes) over 20 min. (est.FTP/0.95)

:ride_on:

1 Like

Yes, it will count. FTP is an estimate of one hour power based on a 95% formula for the 20 minute effort. The warm-up does not count at all. If you do too much before the effort (like the Full Frontal) then FTP is 100% of a 20 minute effort. Full frontal is a max 5 second, max 5 minute, 20 minute and 1 minute effort, really tough. Ramp test is just a rough estimate (as presented on Zwift) Longer ramp tests are more accurate

1 Like

sorry hit wrong format?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

The FTP test is not just the 20min, the preceding efforts is just as important. The way the 20 min FTP was developed took into account for the first few blocks.

If that’s true, then why does Zwift update your FTP from any 20 minute PR, i.e. CP20?

See Hunter Allen’s definition below.

Your FTP based on CP or a 20 minute effort is just 95% of CP20.

Of course you’re right. I didn’t quite do the math on that one :slight_smile:

Glad to know the method exists though. It seems like a far more accurate way of getting CP20 than what I have available outdoors, and it would be much more preferable to me than the regular FTP test that has an “open” CP20 format.

I fixed it, so I can also read it. LOL

I don’t know. I really don’t. I would like to guess something but … no still nothing.

There are many different ways to test FTP and it only influence your own training, so if you do one method just stick to it. If you get is slightly higher then your training will be a bit higher/harder.