FTMS or BLE GATT for treadmill incline control?

Hi Zwift team!

I’ve built an iOS app that connects to wifi-enabled Icon Health & Fitness treadmills and allows for broadcast and control of speed, HRM, incline, etc. (Icon manufactures treadmills under many brands such as NordicTrack, Gold’s Gym, Epic, Proform, Weslo, Weider, FreeMotion, etc)

So far, I’ve been able to get speed and HRM appearing in Zwift OK, and now I’m trying to figure out how to implement incline control. How does Zwift send “control” commands to paired trainers and treadmills? Is it over FTMS or a specific BLE GATT characteristic?

If anyone on the Zwift team is able to point me in the right direction that would be great! What other things should I be considering broadcasting/controlling via Zwift?

The app works great so far for my Nordictrack treadmill - no additional hardware (ie GEM module) or foot pod required to pair with Zwift. I’m sure there’s loads of others with Icon-made treadmills who’d love running on Zwift too.

Thanks!

Update: the iOS app is currently in beta. If you want to get early access and help test, signup here: TreadSync App - Beta Testers Signup

Hi, so how can we get ahold of this app to try it out?

Zwift does not send any elevation or speed controls to any treadmills at the moment.

Jurgen - I should have a development build available for testing in the next week. What kind of treadmill do you have?

Thanks Paul! Do you know if such a thing is on the roadmap?

Zwift does not really post/comment on when features will be released, there is not public roadmap.

Hi Patrick,

I have a NordicTrack Elite 5700

Does your app work with Runsocial as well as Zwift? Thinking about a NordicTrack treadmill.

Hi Jurgen - we have a beta version of the app ready for testing. If you’d like to test the app in exchange for early access, signup here: TreadSync App - Beta Testers Signup

Hey Joe - yes, it works with Runsocial too. If you’d like to help with beta testing you can signup here: TreadSync App - Beta Testers Signup

1 Like

Hi Patrick,

Heading out for a few weeks but will get on it as soon as I get back.

Thanks for all your efforts on this!

Joe